Amorphis Gigs

I don't expect Two Moons on EU tour. Thousand Lakes intro and then no TFTTL song after it? Weird. Still thinking if I should go to a show, setlist might be (99%) same as on previous tour. But I could see Hamferd again and spent the rest of time at the bar.

I can just hope the same kind of a setlist for tomorrow (or this day) gig in Tavastia.

Oh yes pleeeeeeeeease!!!! :headbang: Haven't heard Two Moons live in ages and Mission only once, never understood why they dropped it from the seat almost immediately. With Amorphis today, small changes ARE big changes... The Lahti gig last week proved again that the ever-unpredictable mood factor can make a gig great even if the setlist is boring as a telephone book, but those two songs tonight would really be the icing on the cake. :dopey:

Shit, I should've taken a trip to Turku :lol: Some more uncommon Eclipse numbers ahead of the opera festival performance might come up.

I think maybe Mission will now stay in the setlist. It was obvious that they have worked with that, so it would be logical to keep that in the line. And I really hope it will stay.

And that Savonlinna gig... Can't make it, and already I'm pissed off about missing it.

But hey, I think I forgot something! In fact, Into Hiding was in the setlist. I remember it now, because there was a dude behind me, who was singing clean verses so aloud that I heard him, but not Joutsen. :) But I don't remember the place of the song... Even though I was sober, we went bar just after the gig. Alone replaced The Smoke.

But hey, I think I forgot something! In fact, Into Hiding was in the setlist. I remember it now, because there was a dude behind me, who was singing clean verses so aloud that I heard him, but not Joutsen. :) But I don't remember the place of the song... Even though I was sober, we went bar just after the gig. Alone replaced The Smoke.
The logical place for it is right after the Thousand Lakes intermission. Setlist.fm updated ;)

I will upload The Mission video 1.3.2014 at Tavastia Helsinki but since I have no clue how to co operate with my camera the quality is not the best one. A great gig!

Rockrock :headbang: :headbang:

I wondered if you managed to catch the Mission?

I thinks it's a bit sarcastic that on friday I got some korvakarkki (ear candy, Joutsen's term), and now I'm having an otitis and sore ear.

Interesting that Tomi's live version of Two Moons now has some impressively powerful clean vocals rather than the harsh vocals that grabbed everyone back from their Far From the Sun haze. I like the live version a lot and think Tomi's vocals have just gotten stronger with time, but I imagine that there are others who hear this and are disappointed.

Okay, I first decided to make my first post in many months because WOW! Two Moons has always been one of my favourite Amorphis songs and I really never thought they would perform it live again. This is seriously such great news! Thank you so much for the video!

But in response to the above poster, yeah, I have to say that I didn't really like the way Joutsen sings it nowadays. The song is such a fast bar-burner, and it's as if he's trying to slow the whole thing down and make it more smooth. It of course works for the chorus, but I was just waiting to hear that more aggressive shouting in the verses, and to me the way he performed it just doesn't sound very convincing. Anyway, I feel like an asshole because I should just be satisfied by the fact they're playing the song at all, and I am!

Thank you so much for the video!
Awww, my pleasure!

Red King said:
I was just waiting to hear that more aggressive shouting in the verses, and to me the way he performed it just doesn't sound very convincing. Anyway, I feel like an asshole because I should just be satisfied by the fact they're playing the song at all, and I am!
Yeah, the main thing here is that they finally resurrected the song to the set, although I agree that the change of technique wouldn't have been necessary. On the other hand it's all too understandable that if you return to an old song after several years of accumulating performing experience and expanding your repertoire of singing styles, it must feel pretty natural (or at least highly tempting) to try out a new approach. ;)

Tiiti said:
I wondered if you managed to catch the Mission?
I did but the sound sucks. Should I post it anyway? :confused: My camera is good on the visual side but its microphone wasn't made for recording live music; admittedly most of the 2Moons clip was patched with a recording made by someone else.

I did but the sound sucks. Should I post it anyway? :confused: My camera is good on the visual side but its microphone wasn't made for recording live music; admittedly most of the 2Moons clip was patched with a recording made by someone else.

Yes you should. :) It would be nice to take some feelings about that. Although the sound happens to be bad.
My phone camera is very bad, but recorded sounds are quite good for a phone. Nevertheless, I was not expecting Mission, so I was so iced that I did not catch it.

I wonder if TJ's decision not to use harsh vocals is more about what those vocals do to his vocal health moreso than him wanting to try a new approach. Singing is primarily done with the vocal cords proper. Growling is done primarily with a different part of the voice box called the "vocal fry" and can often be done with little or no involvement from the vocal cords proper, which is why it's easier to growl than to sing when you have a cold and your throat is swollen.

Mixing the two (harsh vocals) is hard because using the growl part often requires a lot of breath and force and that tends to push the vocal cords harder than optimal as well. That's why you seldom hear of growlers or singers having surgery, but people who do a lot of in-between vocal tricks like David Draiman or early Siouxsie Sioux seemed to be having surgery fairly frequently. It's also why long term acts either switch to clean/growl alteration or just say "fuck it" and scream everything and lose their cleans over time.

Gotta love that "UGH!" at the beginning. Thanks for the upload. That your main channel? I see no videos uploaded, but I'll subscribe if that's where you will put them up.

Maybe TJ got a bit tired and it was easier for him to do it clean hehe
A little experimentation here and there, I like it either way.
I mean, it's Two Moons, c'mon, play it on the whole tour, guys. I'm starting to get excited for the upcoming gig. Seems there won't be more than 300 or so people, which is awesome (at least for me).

Also, nice post by tuonelan, I didn't know much about that. I tend to do harsh vocals in the shower, to the horror of my neighbors. Never had any bigger problems though.

That your main channel? I see no videos uploaded, but I'll subscribe if that's where you will put them up.

I've only used it for the few videos I've posted on this forum, and only because I like the forum's automatic embedding function for youtube videos. Otherwise I'm utterly annoyed with the whole thing - I find it absolutely unexcusable that they keep creating Google+ identities for me without asking for my permission, make it increasingly difficult to delete those, and even go so far as to create the unwanted profile AGAIN after I already deleted it.

Dear Google, drawing on a concordance that outperforms all of the world's libraries put together,
which part of FUCK OFF is it that you don't understand?
machine-gun.gif

Anyway, I've uploaded Mission on Photobucket this time.Apparently there's no way of scaling the viewer down to the video's original format, so bear with the pixel-y appearance. As for the sound/noise, you've already been warned...

Thanks Tuonelan for the technique info, I had no idea about this. The only thing I know about singing is that I suck at it. ;)

I tend to do harsh vocals in the shower, to the horror of my neighbors. Never had any bigger problems though.

With your voice or with your neighbors?
singing-in-shower.gif

Thanks for the video!

And now there is a few nice comic strips in my head: papajohnny singing on his shower and a reaction of a neighbors. And an other one where Eurynome is shooting all the google tings. What a pity that I'm even more miserable on drawing than I am on singing.

I looked into all that vocal technique stuff back when I first got into Opeth because I was jealous of how nice Mikael's clean voice was and how ferocious his growls were and I wanted to find out how he could do both without blowing out his voice. So I watched a few Melissa Cross videos and learned a bunch, and then learned more from a friend who is a professional voice coach for theater. So now I know how to growl, but I only do it in the car. Orange County is so straight that they totally deserve what happens at stoplights when the windows are down. \m/

Worst case scenario I've heard about are people who do not know how to relax their throats and who end up screaming with their vocal cords alone. That makes you hoarse over the short term and does damage over the long.