Amorphis Gigs

Yep, that's a solid, honest review. Me likes.

As for Belgrade gig - trin's earlier remarks about all setlist complaints being obsolete once band gets on stage are indeed in place. Serbian setlist was absolutely the same, but it was fine. The gig itself was great, I would hate to repeat what's already been said, with just some criticism pointed to the sound guy, since the sound for Amorphis was a bit overly crunchy at some points and keyboards or guitar were a bit incomprehensible at parts. losing themselves in the mix.
Hamferð had a great, clean sound and really blew audience away, even though it seemed only a small number of people actually heard of them. Nonetheless, they had a huge applause after every song and hearing some talk from the people in the crowd, majority was pleasantly surprised. The frontman is the complete antithesis of the "neckbeard is uncool" claim, and is a killer live. What a voice. I would love to hear him with Barren Earth.

Amorphis didn't have that sharp a sound, but, on the other hand, I was in front rows and the audience screamed every single song through and through, just like I did, so it's no wonder I often couldn't hear the songs themselves.
Guys really seemed to have enjoyed the night, even though it may have been “just another day in the office”, as trin has written. Tomi was very active on stage and didn't take much effort to have crowd worked up. I guess it makes sense since they were here last time on SW tour, so people were indeed in need of a fix.

What was particularly memorable to me is that he seemed to have tried to coax Tomi K. into growling through Vulgar Necrolatry. It may have been just "Hey Tomi, do it" without talking to microphone, with TK replying with "wtflol no" look, but it was fun to see that - would've been way more awesome to actually hear that. But eh, wishful thinking.
As for the crowd itself, this could probably be the first time that I'm proud to be labeled "metalhead in Serbia", even though I hate the term. Everyone knew all the songs, everyone was having fun, everyone was fully committed, there were no problems whatsoever, and the best thing of all, Amorphis really got that energy feedback from the crowd. I imagine no one was left unsatisfied, or at least not in any great quantities of dissatisfaction.

As the reviewer from Nocturne Magazine wrote, "the last day of winter" (19. march, after all) was a day to remember and a good way to say farewell to the winter...

#^%)*#))(*#(@ !!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

It is beyond me how can Esa be such an asshole?! How can such jerks walk the face of Earth?!

If I never got the chance to ask him to play Mission, if no-one else asked him to do so (and I know Vassil did the night before, probably his wife also asked on my behalf), or if they didn't play it during the tour, I would've let it go.

But I asked him very nicely and he outright refused. He frowned as if I was asking him to eat a pile of shit and said they have 100 other songs, so why would I want Mission? He could've been a bit more diplomatic and told me that he should discuss the matter with the other guys, or that even though they played it the previous week in Finland, they didn't like the way it turned out, so they decided not to play it. I would've accepted this.

But, oh, no! Out of sheer spite, it seems, they decide to play it three days later.

I mean, really!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Esa is absolutely not an asshole for declining your request and is well within his right as a musician to perform whatever the hell he pleases. You seem strangely bent out of shape about this, and I wonder if he didn't think you were a bit rude to approach and beg him to play a particular song, especially since I imagine they'd already decided upon the setlist for that night. There's plenty of rarities I'd love to see Amorphis play, but I wouldn't pester them in person about them, and instead I'd enjoy whatever they choose.

I think Trin does not meant that Esa is an asshole as a person. There is a pinch of a sarcasm, too.

If you read older messages, you can find lot's of discussions and whingeing about setlists, which is good and which is not, and how setlist more or less never changes. Also a thoughts about each favs and hopes.

I really understant that amount of frustration Trin (and I believe someone else also) is having. I will be also really pissed of, if Amorphis would had played Mission just before Turku gig and then in Turku they would no played that.
In here forum, we nonetheless are friends with each others, and with friends you can say what you feel. Sometimes you say it not so nicely and not so considerly, but what the hell, so I do sometimes with my irl-friends. Yes, this is a public forum etc...

He was requested to play a song three times by three different persons after possibly deciding on the setlist already. I imagine it can get a bit frustrating :p

In reality, it's not that I can complain about the whole setlist changes - I don't feel entitled to something like that, since I'm still a newbie when it comes to Amo concerts - but I don't get the idea of playing a rather uneventful set for a solid part of the tour, and then suddenly adding rarities to it.
What is the idea? Half the audience isn't worthy of hearing rare stuff? Why couldn't they make a 50:50 choice, as in, we play this old song here, we play that rare song there - and not the - let's play the staple setlist in all these towns, and something unique in those towns?

Like I've said, it's not that I can complain or that I'm unsatisfied with the gig I've visited - but their setlist arrangement baffles me.

What is the idea? Half the audience isn't worthy of hearing rare stuff? Why couldn't they make a 50:50 choice, as in, we play this old song here, we play that rare song there - and not the - let's play the staple setlist in all these towns, and something unique in those towns?

Exactly! And this is not the first time they do it. In 2009 they did just the same - in Sofia they played the generic setlist and on the following day in Greece they played some gems.
That's what annoys me the most.

The only explanation I can think of is they're roughly overlapping the previous leg, and want to play a different set this time around. They played some shows in the German speaking countries in the fall.

The only explanation I can think of is they're roughly overlapping the previous leg, and want to play a different set this time around. They played some shows in the German speaking countries in the fall.

But they haven't played in Slovakia in the autumn.
Anyway, I've long since stopped looking for rhyme or reason behind their setlist decisions...

Sounds good that people are getting excited to ask for songs but yeah, the setlist has probably been set, and they just go with it. Just waiting over here for the US tour and then I can ask the asshole to play what I want to hear.

:loco::headbang::OMG::lol::cry::zombie: