Amorphis Gigs

A NA tour would be nice, especially if it stops in this neighborhood. After the last-minute venue switch debacle in '08, they deserve nothing less than the red carpet treatment.

I hope they get it, too.

Shows in Oulu are often particularly fun because they tend to kick off tour legs. Well... they fucking did it again. From Drowned Maid onwards it was pure bliss, and the crowd didn't mind more obscure songs because the running order was perfect.

I would've left a few spots unrevealed if I knew for sure that someone was going to Seinäjoki tomorrow :p

1. Hopeless Days
2. Mermaid
3. Greed
4. Silver Bride
5. Same Flesh
6. Narrow Path
7. Majestic Beast

8. Drowned Maid
9. Weeper on the Shore (first time since 1997)
10. My Sun
11. From the Heaven of My Heart (full intro)
12. Brother Moon
13. House of Sleep

14. Weaving the Incantation
15. Silent Waters
16. My Kantele (Opera Festival version)

Looks like a really nice setlist to me; hope that they will play similar kind of thing later in Lahti (chose this particular venue also because the gig date happens to be closest to my birthday, too ;)) At least there are changes in the set, finally!

Yet it would be great to see also one of those Tales-anniversary gigs, if they'll ever play one show in Finland...

Aaaaah (and more some kind of a bizarre, devoted and fascinated voices)!!
Same flesh, Weaving the Incantation and My Sun, particularly My Sun. They NEED to play it in Turku and/or Jyväskylä.

Last night was far more conventional (to be fair, the set started past midnight and most of the audience were drunk or tired or both, so too special a set might have been a wasted treat) but I'm glad they kept Weeper in. The exceptionally muddy sound at Virgin Oil notwithstanding it clearly beat the Pasi version. :D

1. Hopeless Days
2. Narrow Path
3. Silver Bride
4. Smoke
5. Brother Moon
6. Wanderer

7. Drowned Maid
8. Weaving the Incantation
9. Against Widows
10. Weeper on the Shore
11. Majestic Beast
12. Silent Waters
13. My Kantele

14. Sky Is Mine
15. From the Heaven of My Heart
16. House of Sleep

And I'm pleased to report that the Turku gig was much better. There's something about Klubi, I've never seen a bad gig at that venue...

1. Hopeless Days
2. Narrow Path
3. Silver Bride
4. Smoke
5. Brother Moon
6. Sky Is Mine
7. Black Winter Day
8. Weaving the Incantation
9. Drowned Maid
10. Weeper on the Shore
11. Towards And Against
12. Silent Waters
13. My Kantele

14. From the Heaven of My Heart
15. Wanderer
16. House of Sleep

I must say I'm a bit jalous now! :) I read they were in a very good mood in Lahti too. Anyway I enjoyed the gig at Virgin Oil with all my heart, because I know I'n not able to attend any other gig this fall.

Lutakko, Jyväskylä, same setlist, but at this time they had acoustic guitars with (In Turku they didn't had those). My Kantele was half acoustic.

The gig was better than in Turku. But for me it is always so, all the gigs are better in Lutakko than in somewhere else. Lutakko is very important place to me and always I visit there I also meet old friends and work all the day and night, so it's more than just a gig.

So, no Same Flesh or My Sun for me. :( Blizk , you'r a lucky man.

Loved the gig last night! It wasn't planned that I would go to yet another Amo-gig in this autumn - but right after the gig in Lahti I found out that there will be another hometown-gig (or rather in the "countryside" than in the town centrum itself) during this year. So it was an unexpected, but obviously a positive surprise and a rare kind of chance as well...

Mari's Coffee was already a familiar venue to me, since my friends have played there, too - that's how I knew that it could be very intimate setting for Amorphis-gig as well and got curious because of that. After all it's quite small place, kind of mix of restaurant / cafeteria, bar and gig site.
And I wasn't wrong after all - this one was the most intimate gig from this band that I have seen so far, the atmosphere was certainly tangible. Must even say that witnessing Brother Moon, Drowned Maid, Weeper On the Shore and also From the Heaven of My Heart in this kind of setting will be among my most memoriable gig experiences.

The audience seemed to be full of energy as well, but I don't think it's wonder as Amorphis doesn't visit in these hoods every day after all ;) Can't say the exact number of the people there, but at least hundred anyway. People could stand right next to the stage - even though the stage was really low, there wasn't a barrier like usually.
And there was seemingly a low ceiling as well; when Tomi rose to his platform and uplifted the microphone in his hand, he hit it to a spotlight in the ceiling…

So the gig itself was enjoyable also for the set list, of similar kind than in Lahti's gig month ago, but with some changes. There they didn't play Drowned Maid, so I was glad that it was in the set now. This time there were no acoustic guitars though, but they still played that new arrangement of My Kantele.
Yet it was pity that Koippari seemed to have some technical problems, now and then he had to run away from the stage with the guitar. Nevertheless he seemed to be in good mood and was smiling a lot, as usual, and after House of Sleep he also shook hands with people close to the stage (I managed as well, though honestly it was more like a quick slap than decent handshake, heh :p).

Set list (not in a particular order though):

Circle (Shades of Grey)-intro
Hopeless Days
Silver Bride
Narrow Path
The Smoke
Brother Moon
Drowned Maid
Weeper On the Shore
Weaving the Incantation
Black Winter Day
Sky Is Mine
Silent Waters
My Kantele
--------------------------------------
Skyforger-intro
From the Heaven of My Heart
The Wanderer
House of Sleep

IMG_0196_zps64db6691.jpg

IMG_0208_zps008ca672.jpg

IMG_zpsff04a462.jpg

IMG_0230-bw_zps15b6fd19.jpg

IMG_0264_zps647ffe67.jpg

IMG_0289_zps4d24c2f7.jpg

IMG_0298_zps7440a054.jpg

IMG_0224_zpsa9d60556.jpg

IMG_0273_zps6a234780.jpg

IMG_0271-bw_zpsecd8533c.jpg

IMG_0312_zps5e86400b.jpg

IMG_0313_zpse4c0feac.jpg

So, only songs off the first three at the shows in central Europe:

(Thousand Lakes)
Into Hiding
The Castaway
First Doom
Black Winter Day
Drowned Maid
In the Beginning
Forgotten Sunrise
To Father's Cabin
Magic and Mayhem
(Karelia)
The Gathering :kickass:
Sign from the North Side
Vulgar Necrolatry

Better Unborn
Against Widows
My Kantele

Same as above plus Folk Of The North in Munich. Nevermind that Tomi's dreads are not as long as they used to be, the remaining measures of awesomeness are still (or again) perfectly intact. :D

Good Lord, who do we have to bribe to get them back over here for a proper tour?

The Insomnium show with Dark Tranquillity was fantastic, but I would really love to see Amorphis here again.

What will it take?

Tuuletar, thanks for the pix!

Good Lord, who do we have to bribe to get them back over here for a proper tour?

The Insomnium show with Dark Tranquillity was fantastic, but I would really love to see Amorphis here again.

What will it take?

Would love to see Amo here again, but every time I wonder when they will be back I think of this Age of Metal interview with Alan Averill of Primordial:

TAOM: Primordial did a two-week tour in eve of ProgPower USA in 2012, and it seems it was a quite let down as not too many people turn out to the gigs. In the other hand the crowd at PPUSA loved your show that same year, how that reflect on your will to tour the USA again? Would you be open to try it again?

AA: yeah, look some shows were successful at that tour, and some shows were just normal shows. When you play in certain venues and certain areas most shows do get between 40 to a 100 people, that is just how the scene is sometimes. Most European bands talks among themselves, and by large they are touring the USA for 50 to 100 people, that is what is happened to the scene over there. is just that 50 to 100 people is not enough to make it worthwhile for an European band. There has to be 200 to 300 people a show for an European band to make anything, considering that you have massive visa costs, life is more expensive, some venues want to take percentage of merchandise, all this things weight against us, the interview costs of the American Embassy here make America a hard place to tour.

I like it, I like the people, I like the challenge, I like the country, and I find it fascinating. But, if you seen any European band playing for 150 people be guarantee they are losing money, and there is no way around it. When you play in Europe, things like daily cost, bus cost they are the promoter’s cost, but when you play in America there are the band’s cost. So the risk is on you as a band when you play in the USA, so therefore 72 people in Cleveland is not enough it need to be 272. The problem is that of course you have to keep touring the USA, and generate enough people to make any money, but it’s very hard to do when you are 40 years old with small kids, touring again and again for nothing.

So, until the government removes the visa problem, venues decide to stop stealing merchandise money from bands, and putting it simply people stop seating at home watching YouTube and decide to come out to shows, it’s a very hard place to go. We will try again for sure, but again if you are asked to support a big band no one pays you, its hard for me to get together a full band of guys older than 40 with small kids and bills, when you go ‘well we have to take some merch for a month, and you show up at House of Blues and House Of Blues wants to charge you a percentage on that merch‘.

That and it would probably help if they didn't get hassled by the cops while going through Arizona. :devil:

So it looks like Amorphis and Ne Obliviscaris set times will not clash at Tuska, if deciphering the artists list still works like in the previous years :cool:

There's an interesting detail in the recent interview at Kaaoszine, where Tomi mentions they'll need to play at least three songs off Under the Red Cloud while supporting Nightwish. To me that sounds like Nuclear Blast having a say on that.