Amorphis Gigs

Oulu once again had the honour to get the first full-length set of a new tour, this time a more conventional one compared to the great Ouluhalli gig last year. Nevertheless, the local crowd had a lot of fun as a circle pit got going about halfway through. That's a first for me at an Amorphis show, and a quite amusing sight. Another thing of note was Drowned Maid where both Tomis sung alternate lines in verses. I also have to say Tomi Joutsen's voice is top notch, I've never heard him sing so well!

Setlist:

Under the Red Cloud
Sacrifice
Hopeless Days
The Wanderer
Sky Is Mine
Better Unborn
Death of a King
Enemy at the Gates
Silver Bride
Silent Waters
Drowned Maid
Bad Blood
The Four Wise Ones
My Kantele
House of Sleep

They played for about 80 minutes. The only problem for me was The Four Wise Ones, where low frequencies completely buried the guitar leads in the mix.

Reactions: requiem
a circle pit got going about halfway through. That's a first for me at an Amorphis show
:headbang:

Another thing of note was Drowned Maid where both Tomis sung alternate lines in verses.

Hope they'll keep that! :worship: Was great to see Tomi K back at the mike a few times during the Tales set, but I was sure it was a one-off thing for those gigs only.

Better Unborn
Death of a King
Enemy at the Gates

Now there's a triplet to my liking. :D Did Esa bring the electric sitar?

I have tickets for Amorphis and Nightwish but it seems due to other circumstances I may not make it in the end... still, that is an amazing setlist. Some really good choices from the new record, although I hope they let 'Dark Path' out to play at some point...

Amorphis came to a hometown-gig again last Saturday and once again I enjoyed it. The live versions of the new songs worked in a powerful way in my opinion (especially Death of A King), the audience was quite a lively - and it was great to see Koippari singing in Drowned Maid, too!

(There was also pretty much humour during the gig. Someone in audience wanted that they could play music of Finnish rock band called Popeda; Tomi promised jokingly that they may practise to play some of their song for the next time and asked the guy himself if he could sing - then the guy really started to sing the chorus of Pitkä kuuma kesä. And another guy wished naturally for Paranoid, so Esa played the riff for a moment and then gave a plectrum to that guy. And Sande played some disco stuff, too.)

Set list:

Under the Red Cloud
Sacrifice
Bad Blood
Sky Is Mine
The Wanderer
On Rich and Poor
Drowned Maid
Enemy at the Gates
The Four Wise Ones
Silent Waters
My Kantele
Hopeless Days
House of Sleep
____
Death of a King
Silver Bride
The Smoke

IMG_1903_zpsmsrhjjtq.jpg

IMG_1925_zpswkagqnda.jpg

IMG_1930_zpsbwcuq1ch.jpg

IMG_1936_zpsdu4cklbk.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!
c5e35ce7ba329154720ead0c9b62c0845027151.gif

Berlin it is, then...

(No, I really couldn't bring myself to buy a ticket to the Nightwish thingy next week. But, alas, my prayers fr a headliner tour have been answered now)

Great setlists there, particularly the one with 'Better Unborn' in it, although no 'Black Winter Day' seems a bit disappointing! Now they just need to tour Australia (again? can't remember if I've missed them recently).

They indeed toured Australia with Circle.

Yeah I had this feeling. My friend's band opened for them too now that I think about it so I should have remembered. I missed it for some reason. Clearly a foolish mistake.

...and damned tempting. Too bad that my wife's novel will be released right around then and that may cut into any travel plans we can make.

Hey, that's still half a year's time to arrange the book signings to be on another weekend than that one. ;) Would be cool to see you there, booked my flight almost two months ago because at this time of year they're still fairly cheap. (Gotta admit though that I sighed at the sheer irony of yesterday's reveal. I fell in love with this festival for the very reason that it's full of bands you never get to see at Finnish festivals... duh. On the other hand it's probably the only time I'm gonna see Amorphis this summer, and they've never played in Iceland to begin with. But I'm hoping to finally see some Icelandic bands at Tuska in exchange, if not this year then next. We've already had two bands from the Faroe Islands, where the scene is so much smaller...)

...was that And I Hear You Call or was that the beginning of We Cannot Move?

Either way, though -- Kingstoooooooon Waaaaaaaaaaaall!!! :headbang::kickass:

Watched the whole thing on the TV/Xbox last night, loud enough to annoy the neighbors. Closest we've gotten to an Amo show in a while.