Amorphis Gigs

They'll come here when they get offers from clubs that make it worthwhile to do the tour. That hasn't been the case for a while.

They could set up a Kickstarter/GoFundMe account that would help cover the risk of the tour the way that Ne Obliviscaris has, but really it's a matter of opportunity costs as much as expense. The European market is better to the band and likely will always be so.

That said, you know that if Amo does tour the US again I'm in for tickets and merch no matter what.

So many European metal bands draw well in the states. Dark tranquility and the like. Bands like them definitely have an equal or even less following than Amorphis does. Guaranteed.

It's not like clubs here would think Amorphis wouldn't sell tickets...

So what is the issue?

From a couple past discussions of this topic on the forum:

From the new Amorphis book (my quick translation, sorry if my English is a bit rusty these days... :p ):

After the tightly scheduled festival summer [of 2008], Amorphis went to North America, where the reception was stalling badly. In the big cities it was decent, but on the periphery audiences counted in the dozens. The tour left a feeling of frustration. The resources of the record label's local branch barely covered anything, and the earlier success seemed to have faded into nothingness. Visas and flights had cost a fortune, distances between venues were enormous and the support was nowhere near the European level. It looked like Amorphis simply could no longer afford to tour North America. And so far it has been their last extended visit there.

Would love to see Amo here again, but every time I wonder when they will be back I think of this Age of Metal interview with Alan Averill of Primordial:

TAOM: Primordial did a two-week tour in eve of ProgPower USA in 2012, and it seems it was a quite let down as not too many people turn out to the gigs. In the other hand the crowd at PPUSA loved your show that same year, how that reflect on your will to tour the USA again? Would you be open to try it again?

AA: yeah, look some shows were successful at that tour, and some shows were just normal shows. When you play in certain venues and certain areas most shows do get between 40 to a 100 people, that is just how the scene is sometimes. Most European bands talks among themselves, and by large they are touring the USA for 50 to 100 people, that is what is happened to the scene over there. is just that 50 to 100 people is not enough to make it worthwhile for an European band. There has to be 200 to 300 people a show for an European band to make anything, considering that you have massive visa costs, life is more expensive, some venues want to take percentage of merchandise, all this things weight against us, the interview costs of the American Embassy here make America a hard place to tour.

I like it, I like the people, I like the challenge, I like the country, and I find it fascinating. But, if you seen any European band playing for 150 people be guarantee they are losing money, and there is no way around it. When you play in Europe, things like daily cost, bus cost they are the promoter’s cost, but when you play in America there are the band’s cost. So the risk is on you as a band when you play in the USA, so therefore 72 people in Cleveland is not enough it need to be 272. The problem is that of course you have to keep touring the USA, and generate enough people to make any money, but it’s very hard to do when you are 40 years old with small kids, touring again and again for nothing.

So, until the government removes the visa problem, venues decide to stop stealing merchandise money from bands, and putting it simply people stop seating at home watching YouTube and decide to come out to shows, it’s a very hard place to go. We will try again for sure, but again if you are asked to support a big band no one pays you, its hard for me to get together a full band of guys older than 40 with small kids and bills, when you go ‘well we have to take some merch for a month, and you show up at House of Blues and House Of Blues wants to charge you a percentage on that merch‘.

That and it would probably help if they didn't get hassled by the cops while going through Arizona. :devil:

Plenty of fair points.

Which is why they should tour major cities like I said and see how it goes.

Forget(forgive me) the middle of the country fly-over states where people would have to travel hours across flat farmlands to make it to a venue.

I'm talking NYC, LA/San Diego, Orlando/Miami, Atlanta, *maybe Texas, Seattle, Chicago etc etc. Bigger cities like these.

Literally just like, 10-12 major cities where there's the biggest chance for a worthwhile turnout. Forget an extensive tour... Not even a chance at this point

Yes, but those big cities are too far apart to do it all by bus and it costs far too much to fly with all the equipment. The US is a huge country. That's why smaller bands often do just a NE states tour to keep the travel manageable (like Sólstafir did the first time they came, or like Agalloch did on West Coast). Otherwise you have the big venues split on two coasts with Chicago in the middle.

Seriously. I was embarrassed for them during the Silent Waters tour. The crowd in LA was a third the size of the one that showed up for Finntroll and Ensiferum. It boggles the mind, but it's true. Awesome show with a good lineup, but somehow it just didn't click with the concertgoers at that time. In my mind they should be able to pull like Opeth, In Flames, and Amon Amarth, or at the very least like Enslaved. Guess the hipsters didn't find them trendy enough or something.

But have patience. I'm sure they will come back to the US at some point. They just won't make a habit of it unless something happens (like a film soundtrack or a successful co-headlining tour with the right band) to make them a bigger name in the US.

Again, good points.

One does forget how large USA is.

The co-headlining tour is probably their best bet at this point. But with whom??

Label mates with decent pull in the US they could tour with who would get them a bigger crowd: Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, Opeth
Label mates of roughly same pull and history to split tour: Enslaved, Paradise Lost

Other good fits: Amon Amarth, Finntroll, In Flames, Ensiferum, Ghost, maybe Lacuna Coil or Arch Enemy or Kreator

My bet for tour mates for 2017 (if it were to happen [in February]) - Borknagar, Omnium Gatherum

[ETA] ...or Insomnium. They have a new album out to support around then as well.

Last edited:
No official announcement yet, but North American tour details are starting to show up online. Starts in early March and runs until mid-April. Support from Swallow the Sun. Lots of smaller markets and a bunch of dates in Canada.

We'll be going to one show for sure and are debating a second.

Drag all your friends to a show (or two). Pack the show if you are in a small market. Make it worth the band's time to return to North America on a more regular basis.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Yeah someone I follow told me about a NYC date and which venue in March. Can't wait.

How hilariously random is that??

Myself, a close friend who likes them and hopefully my brother and a friend of his to start.

Doing my best hahaha

Deff going to travel to at least one other show in an adjacent state as well!

That's where I was getting my info as well. Went through them to get tickets to Nightwish/Amorphis show in 2010. They were teasing Amorphis in their newsletter for a while, but I was not about to say anything until I saw something more official.

Now they're gonna play a show closer 15 minutes from me... Not a headlining show but they and their opener Swallow the Sun are supporting Overkill.

I think it's like a week before the NYC Amorphis headlining show I'm going to as well. Gonna be great

Gah, I'm really jealous of you all! They're coming to The Netherlands as well, but we can't possibly afford it, hopefully we can make it next time. It only took us one show to get hooked, their gig in Amsterdam last year was what made us instant fans. :)

I hope you guys all have a great time (not that there's any doubt about that!), and be sure to take lots of pictures! :headbang:

Reactions: only4theweak187
It will be great. The guys are total pros and put on a good set even if the crowd is small and lame.

My first post on the old forum (at amorphis.net) was after the L.A. show in 2008. Rough show, given that Samael had their drum machine fail during the second song and had a 45 minute delay while they tried to get a replacement working (and ended up with a really short set). Amo went on an hour later than they should have and by that time a chunk of the crowd had already left in frustration. They had to shorten their set as well because they couldn't play music past midnight at the venue (L.A. House of Blues...now gone). It was still an awesome show.

I of Crimson Blood
The Smoke
Against Widows
Into Hiding
Divinity
Silent Waters
Towards and Against
Leaves Scar
Sign from the North Side
On Rich and Poor
Alone
The Castaway