Amorphis Gigs

For someone with a terrible cold who could barely speak, Tomi Joutsen put on a hell of a show tonight.
It was my 14-th Amorphis show and I couldn't tell he was not in his best shape or that they've been on tour for a month already. Brilliant, as ever!

Reactions: Eurynome
Saw the pics linked on the FB page for South Park and noticed something new. Looks like Tomi K started getting tattoos in December and has been adding steadily to his sleeve since then.

Well done, sir.

Amorphis announced a special tour for the 10th anniversary of the Eclipse album yesterday, Finnish dates only so far:

13512191_10156953984315276_2812756548959510415_n.jpg

I went a bit wild and just booked a hotel in central Helsinki for NYE...

Anyone have any idea why they won't tour USA? Not even just several major cities?

I see people wearing amorphis shirts at shows for bands like In Flames, Soilwork etc. etc. here all the time

Anyone have any idea why they won't tour USA? Not even just several major cities?

I see people wearing amorphis shirts at shows for bands like In Flames, Soilwork etc. etc. here all the time

Just several major cities is a tough prospect because the US is a logistical challenge. East Coast is manageable. West Coast is doable. In between things turn into a mess trying to get decent tour coverage. The middle becomes a risk both for the band and for the clubs making the offers. Their best bet would be some sort of co-headlining tour with someone like Opeth or Amon Amarth that has more name recognition in the States. Or In Flames...the Opeth/In Flames co-headlining tour not too long ago was really well attended, at least in LA.

That said, I think that Amorphis is feeling like things are better than they have been for the last few years and they may be tempted to see if they can put something together around the 7000 Tons of Metal gig. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Haven't seen them here since the show they did in support of Nightwish at the Gibson a few years ago.

[ETA ... And with Omnium Gatherum and Moonsorrow both on the boat for 7000 Tons, that gives us a couple other bands to bring along for support. Moonsorrow has put together a few successful North American tours in recent years and would help with the pull.]

Last edited:
That surprises me. I would have though there would be a lot of overlap between the metalcore crowd and the kind of people that listen to the newest Soilwork albums. Less sure about Amorphis though.
I'm not really sure about that, Soilwork could be able to do decently. Maybe Dark Tranquillity would be a better example because they were freaking openers for BMTH or someone similar!

Yeah that's why I suggested just major cities because a more full-on club tour would mean touring the Midwest and a lot of those fly-over states in the middle lolol and I don't feel they'd draw there. It's been years since they've been here and Under The Red Cloud is an amazing album. Really need to see their current set list live as it's fucking awesome.

They'd deff draw good enough crowds to at least make the trip worthwhile.

The co-headliner idea is great as well. Even if just to get them back here for the first time in a long time.

Okay, so if they are going to be in Ft. Lauterdale, FL and hitting only major cities, then what are those cities and what is the route? The big problems happen when you get to the Mississippi. What major venues do you string together to get you from Minneapolis to Seattle or Vancouver? Minneapolis to Denver is a long haul and Des Moine doesn't get you much closer, really. Add Omaha and Salt Lake City? Then going from San Diego to Texas becomes another chancy leg. Tucson to Albuquerque -- risky? And what cities to hit in Texas to keep it both short and get the max number of fans?

Try to cut it down and the travel distances become an issue. And forget flying...too expensive to get all the equipment from one place to the next (unless you are on tour with Maiden and have your own jet). That's the problem with North America -- you can't both get all the big venues and have a short tour.

Alright so a more extensive USA tour then. Since they've put it off for so long they created their own worry about not drawing enough people and $.

A widely respected band in metal that is insanely relevant still with a unique and modern sound from Scandinavia has zero reason why they don't come here