An Easy Opeth Song to Learn?

BefriendedUnit

They wear white for me
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego
I've been playing bass for quite a few years now, but I recently picked up the acoustic guitar. It's been a little Cat Stevens here and there, whatever tab I can really pick up. Most of Opeth's songs are pretty complex - but which one (preferably with some singing) would be good for a semi-experienced beginner?

inb4 use the search function, it's been 5 years since the last thread like this

The Drapery Falls is fairly easy. The polyrhythm part part may give you a little trouble.

Those barred chords in the intro could take some getting used to, especially if they guys not used to stretching...

...and what's this polyrythm part you speak of? I don't remember anything like that being in there.

i'm assuming by the way you describe your playing, you'd like to attempt a mellow acoustic section...try the section in porcelain heart. metalheadz just posted a video. above all, i recommend that you pick a favorite part, and commit to learning it, whether it be by tabs, video, or straight ear. i recommend attempting it by ear. most songs on guitar start with the root or tonic note on an open string. for example, benighted is in E, and starts with the low E...patterns in the ivy II is in D and starts with the open D...i've found that for all songs...once you figure out the root/tonic/key note, you can figure out the initial chord and finger/fret placement. from then on out, its a matter of find where mike "must" have put his fingers, and its usually in the most logical and usually simple place.

as for bar chords, that simply takes tedious and painful practice. hope leaves is easier if you have the capo, which is put on the second fret, although its still quite the stretch, especially on an acoustic guitar.

Those barred chords in the intro could take some getting used to, especially if they guys not used to stretching...

...and what's this polyrythm part you speak of? I don't remember anything like that being in there.

The section at 5:56...guitars are in 3/4, drums are in....something. :) at any rate, it's hard to nail if you're used to following the drums.

hope leaves is easier if you have the capo, which is put on the second fret, although its still quite the stretch, especially on an acoustic guitar.

True, I would love to see the freak with fingers long enough to play it without a capo!

i have them!!!! its a pain in the ass sometimes. a classical is a better for me. its not so much the long fingers, but the ginormous palms and a deformed grip of the neck. i never noticed it until i tried a classical though.

Thanks guys. Joe... no, that's impossible! You can't make that stretch. I demand a picture.

well, i've seen guitarists make some wild stretches, seemingly even more. and, to give you an idea of the size of my hands. i just measured my thumb to pinky span. it covers a millimeter or so short of 11 inches.:cool: