An Opeth Song Survivor?

An Opeth Song Survivor Tournament

• Sounds like a great idea to me! :)

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Bah, rubbish, don't be a fool Guardian!

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
Nov 23, 2002
Not sure if this has been suggested/done before, but I've quite enjoyed the Dark Tranquillity Song Survivor Tournament so far, and I think an Opeth one would be fun too. Thoughts?

Sounds good, but focus on one album at a time for each survivor round... I think DELIVERANCE would be a good place to test it out, seeing that there are fewer songs on it as compared to other Opeth albums...

Hm....Positive responses so far. :)

So. A few questions for you.

Should each poll have a time limit, say, 72 hours?

Should there be a seperate round for each album, or should each round just be a mixture?

Should 1 song be killed off from each poll, or more than one?

Should Damnation be included, considering many people won't have heard it yet? (Including me)

This is my opinion:

Should each poll have a time limit, say, 72 hours?

Yes 72 hours is good

Should there be a seperate round for each album, or should each round just be a mixture?

Mixture

Should Damnation be included, considering many people won't have heard it yet? (Including me)

No

Right, so, without Damnation or bonus tracks, there's 42 tracks. I guess they'll be divided into 6 groups of 7, unless anyone disagrees? A 72 hour time limit should suffice. I think it should be a mixture, personally, because there's been plenty of ''best/worst song on <insert opeth album>?' polls already. I will probably organise this to start on Monday - please continue to post your ideas/views on this.

Also, do you think these posts should be 'Sticky' (stuck at the top), like in the DT forum?
If so, how do you do this? Does anybody know if I need to ask for permission or something?

Guardian of Darkness said:
A mixture would be stupid, and here's why...

Some people may not have heard all the albums. By limiting each round to one album, you're basically guarenteeing that everyone that's voting has heard all the songs (making it more fair). Also, to address the bonus tracks, there should be an extra bonus round for simply those tracks (since those that have made the extra effort to track one of them down, most likely, have heard the other ones as well). Here's how I see the whole thing going down....

Round 1 - Deliverance
Round 2 - Blackwater Park
Round 3 - Still Life
Round 4 - My Arms, Your Hearse
Round 5 - Morningrise
Round 6 - Orchid
Round 7 - Damnation (delayed to compensate for it's release date)
Round 8 - Bonus Tracks (Remember Tomorrow cover, Patters II etc.)

THEN, you take the single winner from each round and come up with one "final" round to get the winner. So...

Round 9 - Winners from all the other rounds.

Makes sense to me! Thoughts? Opinions? :)

Demonspell said:
Wait until Damnation is officially released...

Ah, but many people won't get Damnation straight away, and also, it takes a while to properly get into an Opeth album, so we'd have to wait until a couple of weeks after.

A mixture would be stupid, and here's why...

Some people may not have heard all the albums. By limiting each round to one album, you're basically guarenteeing that everyone that's voting has heard all the songs (making it more fair). Also, to address the bonus tracks, there should be an extra bonus round for simply those tracks (since those that have made the extra effort to track one of them down, most likely, have heard the other ones as well). Here's how I see the whole thing going down....

Round 1 - Deliverance
Round 2 - Blackwater Park
Round 3 - Still Life
Round 4 - My Arms, Your Hearse
Round 5 - Morningrise
Round 6 - Orchid
Round 7 - Damnation (delayed to compensate for it's release date)
Round 8 - Bonus Tracks (Remember Tomorrow cover, Patters II etc.)

THEN, you take the single winner from each round and come up with one "final" round to get the winner. So...

Round 9 - Winners from all the other rounds.

Makes sense to me! Thoughts? Opinions? :)

Interesting ideas. I can understand your first point, and perhaps you're right about not having a mixture. I'll wait to see how many people are in favour of it.

I think the only bonus tracks I might include, are the Blackwater Park ones. The covers and the other two are highly unlikely to stay in for very long.

As for your format, I was planning on dragging it out more than this, and dropping one song from each poll, each round. You vote for the worst song, instead of the best one.

For Example, say Patterns got 41 votes, and is therefore shunned. There 41 people will have to vote differently in Round 2, so the voting won't be the same in every round.

This system works well in the DT Song Survivor.

Eventually, when there's only a few left in, we will have a super finale poll thing. :)

Opinions on this?

Guardian of Darkness said:
As for your format, I was planning on dragging it out more than this, and dropping one song from each poll, each round. You vote for the worst song, instead of the best one.
I know how survivors work... :)

So basically it's like this...

Round 1 - Deliverance
Part 1 - For Absent Friend gets voted off...
Part 2 - A Fair Judgement gets voted off...

etc. etc.

Until there's one left... that gets saved for the final round...

This sounds like the best way to do it, IMO...

John Gargo said:
I know how survivors work... :)

So basically it's like this...

Round 1 - Deliverance
Part 1 - For Absent Friend gets voted off...
Part 2 - A Fair Judgement gets voted off...

etc. etc.

Until there's one left... that gets saved for the final round...

This sounds like the best way to do it, IMO...

That might be the best way, although each album has a different amount of songs, therefore it might be a slightly unfair. That's the only thing I need to clear up now, should it be mixtures, or one poll for each album?

I guess a "Deliverance" song survivor thing would be pointless, a poll "which opeth delivrnc song is ur fav???!?!?!?" would have the same results.
Same goes for other albums (not in the extent tho) ... I think you should do a mixture survivor :)