Anathema

Everything from "The Silent Enigma" onwards is great, and some of the earlier material is too ("We: The Gods" and "Sleepless" come to mind). I can't really pick a favorite out of Eternity, Alternative 4, Judgment and A Fine Day to Exit, they're all amazingly good. The last one was really good too, but not QUITE up to the level of the previous few. It's really too bad they can't find a label to release their new album, though I wasn't a huge fan of the one song they had on their website from it.

I have heard most of their albums, and while generally good, I'd say "Judgement" would clearly be the best in my opinion. And "A Fine Day To Exit" would definitely be the worst LOL. Very bleak and depressing music.

Eternity was my first, took me a while to get used to Cavannaghs wailing vocals, but they suit the music very well. I saw them support PT last year and they played an immense cover of comfortably numb.
Fantastic under-rated british band. I believe they massive in Greece.

why not just name all the albums they've put out, waz

Hahahha......well......i love those albums ...its liek someone asking me waht Alicew in chains albums are good...or waht albums of Opeth are good...ure bound to say atelast 3 or 4...hahaha........!!!!......same with Anathema....PEAC EOUT

A Fine Day to Exit is their best.

+1

But I'm fairly certain that their next record is going to be something of a masterpiece. They played a new song which they had written about 5 hours beforehand the night I saw them, and it was so beautiful and joyous it nearly made me cry.

They also did an absolutely jaw-dropping rendition of 'Hurt'.

By a fucking MILE, the most underrated band in the UK today. If not the world.

Definitely one of my favorite bands.
A Fine Day To Exit was the first album I got of theirs and I still really like it but Alternative IV is pretty awesome. I just love the part in Fragile Dreams where it goes, "maybe I always knew..." but then I'm disappointed every time that they don't go into a double bass drum beat. :(
I still need Judgement.

seriously,

i believe alternative 4 is a milestone in metal music. patterson wrote 6 tracks on that one and each has a crushing atmosphere of their own. the wicked psychedelic track "alternative 4" is something anathema would never even DREAM of writing. he's one of my musical heroes, he knows the difference between "sad" and "dark, noir" very well.

Reactions: arzachel