And So Another N.F.L. Season Begins....

Have you never considered using a spherical ball instead of an eliptical one and maybe ruling it illegal to touch the ball with your hands? Except, maybe the Goalkeeper? Then the rest of the guys could just pass it around and kick it into a net using only their feet (and occasionally their heads)..?

Hey we could even call teams things like "Manchester United" or "Liverpool FC"

or to put it another way:

I am British, what is this weird game you call "football"?!

we are talking american football

It has potential to be the "Game of the Year" I just hope it lives up to the hype... You know how more often than not these games are never as great as they're built up to be.

The Pats did look good...But it was against a team they should beat.....The Chargers are a different story..The Pats can very easily lose this game... This will be a fight to the finish!!

they Will lose...now that they dont have the camera man taping the signals for them...lol

My team beat itself...literally.

6 freakin turnovers and still only down 7 points is fucking amazing considering they were close to tying it at the end.

They'll avenge that loss....The Bengals were lucky to have such good fortune.. It won't be the same when they play again in Baltimore..

Barring any major injuries or setbacks The Ravens should win that division.

My team beat itself...literally.

6 freakin turnovers and still only down 7 points is fucking amazing considering they were close to tying it at the end.

It's actually a little misleading...It says they will be docked a first day draft pick....The commish has determined that they were cheating I think it should be a first round choice.... And I'm a HUGE Pats fan!!! But fines don't really hurt any of these people...The biggest blow would've been to suspend Belichick for 4 games and have them make due, but that's just IMO

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

Bottom line is they will win the Super Bowl this year!! And there will be a cloud of doubt hanging over it...But I don't believe the players knew of this and that's truly who I'm a fan of... GO PATS!!!!!!

did you guys read what they did to the patriots?

Fined and taken away thier 08 draft pick

Cowboys? If they get a "D" down in Dallas, I'd say they will definitely be a football team.

When Ralph Wilson fired Phillips from the Bills I was not happy. Buffalo hasn't been to the playoffs since his departure. Phillips 3-4 scheme is awesome. It is similar to the Parcells/Bellichik scheme but with more blitz packages. If the players can get the scheme down, you will have one hell of a defense.

It's actually a little misleading...It says they will be docked a first day draft pick....The commish has determined that they were cheating I think it should be a first round choice.... And I'm a HUGE Pats fan!!! But fines don't really hurt any of these people...The biggest blow would've been to suspend Belichick for 4 games and have them make due, but that's just IMO

Bottom line is they will win the Super Bowl this year!! And there will be a cloud of doubt hanging over it...But I don't believe the players knew of this and that's truly who I'm a fan of... GO PATS!!!!!!

I'm not real upset about the Pats and this whole cheating thing. Everyone the Pats have beaten in the past is going to have something to say about this but, what good will it do? At best, we can speculate that some offensive plays called late in games might have been called based on the information provided on the tapes. We will never know. Don't get me wrong. With the Pats in Buffalo's division, I am happy to see them caught with their hand in the cookie jar. That doesn't change the fact that they are a great friggin' team. I mean, the plays still have to be executed and the defense still has to stop the other team. I don't think the Pats will miss a beat. Even though I hope they do:)

Belichick draws $500,000 fine, but avoids suspension

NEW YORK -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for spying on an opponent's defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up its first-round draft choice next year if it reaches the playoffs this season, or its second- and third-round picks if it misses the postseason.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

The videotaping came to light after a camera was confiscated from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella while he was on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday at Giants Stadium. Goodell will not change the outcome of the game.

Goodell said he had considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

Clayton: Penalty Too Light

Bill Belichick and his team deserved a much stiffer penalty than the fines and loss of picks they got for spying on the Jets. Story

Instead, Goodell imposed the biggest fine ever on a coach -- it represents 12 percent of Belichick's scheduled 2007 salary, which is believed to be $4.2 million -- and took away a first-round draft pick as a penalty for the first time in NFL history.

Reached at his home, Patriots owner Robert Kraft declined to comment.

Belichick, however, accepted full responsibility "for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused."

"I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career," Belichick said in a statement issued by the team. "As the commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress."

Buffalo at Pittsburgh
Houston at Carolina
Atlanta at Jacksonville
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Green Bay at NY Giants
San Francisco at St. Louis
Cincinnati at Cleveland
Indianapolis at Tennessee
Minnesota at Detroit
Dallas at Miami
Seattle at Arizona
NY Jets at Baltimore
Oakland at Denver ( Dante will start)
Kansas City at Chicago
San Diego at New England i hate both
MON, SEP 17 TIME
Washington at Philadelphia

Buffalo at Pittsburgh -I will be picking Buffalo all year.
Houston at Carolina I want to pick Houston but, my gut tells me to go with the home team.
Atlanta at Jacksonville
New Orleans at Tampa Bay If NO does not crush Tampa, they are officially overrated.
Green Bay at NY Giants I like the Giants even with a backup QB here.
Cincinnati at Cleveland
Minnesota at Detroit
Dallas at Miami
Seattle at Arizona
NY Jets at Baltimore
Oakland at Denver
Kansas City at Chicago
San Diego at New England
MON, SEP 17 TIME

Buffalo at Pittsburgh
Houston at Carolina
Atlanta at Jacksonville
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Green Bay at NY Giants
Cincinnati at Cleveland
Minnesota at Detroit
Dallas at Miami
Seattle at Arizona
NY Jets at Baltimore
Oakland at Denver
Kansas City at Chicago
San Diego at New England
MON, SEP 17 TIME

Buffalo at Pittsburgh
Houston at Carolina
Atlanta at Jacksonville
New Orleans at Tampa Bay - I agree w/ Q on this one N.O. MUST win!
Green Bay at NY Giants
San Francisco at St. Louis - Your NFC West Champion 49ers.. Wait and see.
Cincinnati at Cleveland
Minnesota at Detroit
Dallas at Miami - Too tough at home!!!
Seattle at Arizona
NY Jets at Baltimore - They win either way..But I hope Ray Lewis can play.
Oakland at Denver
Kansas City at Chicago - K.C. is just going to be abused all day!!
San Diego at New England - I hope nobody's surprised when this happens!! No team rises above adversity better than The Patriots!!!

MON, SEP 17
Washington at Philadelphia - McNabb's redemption game

With all due respect to all, I think no need for fines or suspensions for that matter, people try to steal signs all the time, it's the nature of the game trying to figure out your opponent to win, it happens in baseball all the time too, so if you have a little edge it's fine IMO of course, the Jets head coach had to justify how bad they got their ass kicked, he knew what was up, he worked for that team.........any way i'm ready for the game of the year hopefully and i do believe the Chargers have a great shot at beating the Pats at home.