Andy to mix new Nevermore... band enters studio to record in August... woot!

I'm sorry, how did Labrie get brought into this? :lol: He's hit or miss with me, but I definitely dig his performance on Images and Words over Warrel!

I don't particularly dig the vocals themselves that much, but I don't think anyone else would be quite as good as Warrel Dane for them.
It's the overly dramatic, storyteller quality he has that makes it for me.

His vocals are an acquired taste, mainly because he has such a dreadful and unique sound to his voice.. People aren't used to it.

I wonder what Nevermore would sound like with Chuck Billy singing.. :D

Oh man that'd be so weird. Imagine chuck billy singing this:

Last edited by a moderator:
WD is like god to me. As much as I love the whole Nevermore package, his lyrics and singing are the things that make the band so special to me.

So I'll just try and keep my temper down, reading through some of the comments here! :D

I wonder what Nevermore would sound like with Chuck Billy singing.. :D

Like shit? I mean, I like chuck billy, but nevermore isn't a thrash band,
At first I hated warell's vocals, but I really like them now, he may not be the greatest singer ever, but he comes up with great melodies, harmonies, and he is very creative, besides from genius lyrics.

I always associated his vocals with geoff tate.

I can see that, but it's amazing how dropping it an octave lower (in the case of Dane) makes me go from "absolutely love" to "absolutely loathe"! :erk: The guy sounds like he just stepped off a broadway stage (then again, so does Matt Barlow, but he doesn't have that weird nasally/"gargly" quality to his voice so I really dig him)

new album sounds awesome.... Jeff Loomis is one of my favorite guitarists. also cool to see he's using an Axe-FX now. I wonder when that happened... I know he's been interested in it for a long time because of the harmonizer in it

And..... I gotta agree with the Warrel Dane haters.... I'm sorry, but his voice and overdramatic wailing is just horrible... he has technical skill for sure, but his voice, choice of words, and style in which he sings are so ridiculously cheesy to me to the point I can barely listen to Nevermore sometimes, despite how much I love the music and especially the guitar playing... It's a good thing I have Loomis' awesome solo album to listen to whenever I want to hear what Nevermore could be like without those horrible vocals... :p

And..... I gotta agree with the Warrel Dane haters.... I'm sorry, but his voice and overdramatic wailing is just horrible... he has technical skill for sure, but his voice, choice of words, and style in which he sings are so ridiculously cheesy to me to the point I can barely listen to Nevermore sometimes, despite how much I love the music and especially the guitar playing... It's a good thing I have Loomis' awesome solo album to listen to whenever I want to hear what Nevermore could be like without those horrible vocals... :p

I'm the complete opposite. I love his vocals. It's such a relief to find a decent heavy band with someone who can actually sing rather than just doing the usual generic cookie monster bullshit. ;)

I'd rate both him and Devin Townsend as my favourite metal vocalists by far.

the voice of WD is something you have to get use to. I couldn't hear anyone else singing for nevermore. They are badass live as well.

Warrel has personality.

One thing I've learnt about singers in my metalhead life is that good singers are the ones you listen and recognise.
The rest are just pure imitations.

For those who have the intention to become famous with your bands, take in mind that record labels put their eyes in the singer, the frontman.
You can have the best guitarist, the best sound ever, the best drums... but with singer that do not transmit anything, you won't get too far.

Think about it my young padawans.

Warrel has personality.

One thing I've learnt about singers in my metalhead life is that good singers are the ones you listen and recognise.
The rest are just pure imitations.

For those who have the intention to become famous with your bands, take in mind that record labels put their eyes in the singer, the frontman.
You can have the best guitarist, the best sound ever, the best drums... but with singer that do not transmit anything, you won't get too far.

Think about it my young padawans.

+1!

I only started to "get" his vocal style after watching the live DVD. Before that, I couldn't listen at all. Something just clicked. I still wouldn't say I am a massive fan. It's just that I "get it" now. Brilliant DVD. That guitar tone slays me. Sneap you wizard. :headbang:

Can't wait for this one- been too long since they released godless!

I love warrell's vocals, granted it took a while for me to come round to them but he fits the band perfectly. He puts 10X's the emotion into his singing than most metal vocalists do. There's no way I can picture Nevermore with any other vocals- it'd take soooo much from their sound if they had a regular singer and it'd be so much worse if they had a heavy vocalist. Whoever said them with chuch billy would be good is insane!!