Andy, what's your favorite mix/record to date?

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
The questions for Andy Sneap thread hasn't been very active, so I figured I'd try to get you here:

So Andy,

I know you mentioned you were pretty thrilled that you were working with Accept. Is this your favorite production to date?

What do you think is the best mix you've done?

What production was the ground-breaker for you, the one that really gave you that push in your confidence that you knew you'd be bringing the goods ever since?

I think he's answered this question before with something like

" I don't know, I'm not listening to my stuff after I finished it, I'm always doinf the best I can within the limitations like deadline etc. People seem to like Testaments Gathering and Nevermore DHIADW quite a bit, I don't know which on I like best , they're all different".

this is not exactly what he said, but I think it was something along those lines.

As I said, somewhere on the forum, you'll find it (I think it might have been in this Interview the greek guy posted).

The End of Heartache strikes me as being a bit too muddy to be a truly great mix. I like saturated tones, like pretty much everyone here, but the lower mids on those guitars is just a bit much really.
Just comparing the Doomsday Machine mix with EoH back to back, and Doomsday Machine beats EoH hands down.
Clearer, tighter and the thinner sounding guitars definitely give the mix more room to breathe, and overall just sounds bigger.
That will be my guess for Andy's fave.
TGE is pretty cool though and I think the guitar sound in particular really suited the very dark and aggressive feel of the album.

personally, I would be interested in hearing what some of his favorite mixes from other engineers might be ... old stuff, new stuff, known engineers ... maybe even if he's been floored by anyone's work on here

hope thats not too OT from everything, I guess it still fits into the question posed by the OP

personally, I would be interested in hearing what some of his favorite mixes from other engineers might be ... old stuff, new stuff, known engineers ... maybe even if he's been floored by anyone's work on here

hope thats not too OT from everything, I guess it still fits into the question posed by the OP

I'm sure I read somewhere about what guys mixes he enjoys! Shit.. Off to google it is!

I think he said he likes how Staub handels Bass, he like Terry date's stuff and he loves the black album by metallica.

tbh I don't think he'll be too impressed with most stuff on here, after all 99% of it is just a sneap-ripoff with Sneap/Slate samples and the same presets over and over again... not very original/unique sounding :(

I think he said he likes how Staub handels Bass, he like Terry date's stuff and he loves the black album by metallica.

tbh I don't think he'll be too impressed with most stuff on here, after all 99% of it is just a sneap-ripoff with Sneap/Slate samples and the same presets over and over again... not very original/unique sounding :(

This is true, and he has stated many time that Date's work and the Black album are huge inspiration for him. his comment's about Date are what made me take notice of this stuff actually. I am / was a huge Terry Date fan especially shit like Vulgar Display Of Power!

EDIT: Oh .. and Slipknot III i love the production on that CD.

yeah I know his thoughts on Staub and Date and the Black Album and all that ... was curious though if there are any lesser known dudes out there he's been impressed with, whether on here or not. I know a lot of the stuff on this forum gets a bit repetitive in sound but I think a few people on here are doing some serious quality work with the right attitude in how they approach. Glen, Ermz, öbergruppenführer Ban-Hammer, etc

Cool to hear that Randy was an influence for him... I never would've picked it, but it shouldn't be surprising, Randy owns everything. The Black Album is basically the raw template subsequent generations of metal engineers used to craft their mixes from. Not to mention 'All the Right Reasons' probably landed him as the best rock mix engineer on the planet (IMO anyway).

Keen to hear Andy's thoughts on his favorite work. When I listen through the back catalogue, I still hover around Doomsday Machine as my own fave, like Harry.

Skinny Viking said:
öbergruppenführer Ban-Hammer

That's amazing. I demand Lasse set that as his slogan/underneath nickname tag thing!

tbh I don't think he'll be too impressed with most stuff on here, after all 99% of it is just a sneap-ripoff with Sneap/Slate samples and the same presets over and over again... not very original/unique sounding :([/QUOTE]

+111111......i totally agree with lasse and im including myself in this everything
is starting to sound like canned food if you know what i mean just my thoughts