Andy's kick and snare kicks DKFH1s ass

Frayed ends of sanity

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2006
Been lurking here for awhile. Very cool place. That Carcass thread was ultra cool, with the actual engineer's revelations. Lots of good things floating around here.

Anyways, I don't have Superior yet, but DKFH1's toms flat out suck ass with a straw. No, wait a minute... not that good. They suck mashed up donkey testicles with fried hippo nipples and sour cream and menstrual salsa on the side. Through a straw. Kick and snare pretty bland too. I've heard superior's, and ok, much better.

Andy, if you ever by chance see this amidst your undoubtedly busy schedule, thanks for the samples. Hey maybe you could do an DKFH Andy sample pack thing with your drums. Your name alone would sell, not to mention the actual quality of said samples. Anyways, cheers!

Disclaimer: I have not actually sucked mashed up donkey balls, fried hippo nipples, sour cream, and menstrual salsa. It was without sour cream.

Agree 100%. I would love a Battery kit of Daniel Erlandsson's kit as recorded by Andy Sneap. I would pay lots of money for that.

Money is good. :danceboy:

Awww, maaan. No one laughed and spilled beer out their nose at my sick and twisted verbage? :)

I totally hear you on the feel-like-cheating thing. But daayuum, do I feel lucky and spoiled with the tools of today at the same time.

Reactions: XtremeParanoia
Kazrog said:
DFHS really isn't that much better than DFH 1, and I don't consider its kicks or snares usable on anything more than demo-level material.
No offense intended but I have to disagree with you here, I've used all three of the DFHs and Superior is just, well, superior, at least in the ways that I need it to be. I'm sure it depends on your tastes, but i love having control over the mic bleed and the amount of samples is just awesome. But I can see where you wouldn't love the snares and kicks, and a lot of people end up replacing those.

RootBoundApollo said:
No offense intended but I have to disagree with you here, I've used all three of the DFHs and Superior is just, well, superior, at least in the ways that I need it to be. I'm sure it depends on your tastes, but i love having control over the mic bleed and the amount of samples is just awesome. But I can see where you wouldn't love the snares and kicks, and a lot of people end up replacing those.

+1

DFHS is much more realistic.

Kazrog said:
DFHS really isn't that much better than DFH 1, and I don't consider its kicks or snares usable on anything more than demo-level material.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol: :lol: I got a C.D. called "Catch 33" ..... I'd like to hear your demo sound better than that!:lol: :lol: :lol:

GORILLA

Kenny Lee said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol: :lol: I got a C.D. called "Catch 33" ..... I'd like to hear your demo sound better than that!:lol: :lol: :lol:

With all due respect to Meshuggah, who I love and who is one of our biggest influences, I think they've gotten lazy with their production as of late due to the convenience of products by Line 6 and ToonTrack.

I would advise you to hold off on that opinion until our album is out... but if our rough mixes are any indication... :wave:

Kazrog said:
With all due respect to Meshuggah, who I love and who is one of our biggest influences, I think they've gotten lazy with their production as of late due to the convenience of products by Line 6 and ToonTrack.
Oh....really? Do you even know why Tomas didn't play on that C.D.? .......
Conveniences' of Line 6 products? Fredrik and Marten have 3 Vettas' each, come off the F.O.H. and the crew can have them set up and 'live' in no time.

I don't want to waste time arging with you, you've rattled enough cages this week....... ":zombie: "?:Smug: But, as far as you saying Meshuggah has gotten lazy............ if you do not really know the WHOLE story, it's usually best......... not to say nothing:)

Let's end the slingin' here. Yes, I'm the Gorilla from ToonTrack. Speak with my ToonTrack Family weekly!!

Anyways... back to the topic, YES Andys' kick and Snare samples are great! And I'm not just saying that because this is his forum.:kickass: We've mixed them up thru the EXS in Logic on a few peoples tunes.

GORILLA

Good luck with the C.D. Shane!

Reactions: XtremeParanoia
Kenny Lee said:
I don't want to waste time arging with you, you've rattled enough cages this week....... ":zombie: "?:Smug: But, as far as you saying Meshuggah has gotten lazy............ if you do not really know the WHOLE story, it's usually best......... not to say nothing:)

What I read was that Thomas was so happy with the DFHS sounds, that he felt no reason to mic up a kit. Good for ToonTrack! That's a hell of an endorsement. Sorry if I don't have the whole story.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference. I own both DFHS and DFH 1.0, and there are great sounds in both that I use every day. I just don't like the kicks and snares. I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this. I also still feel that real tube amps beat Line 6, even though I own and love several Line 6 products.

All of these things have their place, and I think Catch 33 is a great record in spite of my feelings about the sounds. Destroy, Erase, Improve and Chaosphere sound better to me, but you could argue that it's just my personal preference.

Sorry if I came off like a jerk about this.

Ben Johnson said:
Yep, it's definitely a great kick, but I can't help but feel like I'm cheating when I use it.

Lol! I feel the same way. Suck out some 400Hz on the kick and it slides right into the mix, nothing else needed. First time I used the sample I just stared at my monitors thinking, "this man is brilliant."

As for DFH1, I'm rather fond of the Pearl Sensitone samples. Hmmmm...

Kazrog said:
I also still feel that real tube amps beat Line 6, even though I own and love several Line 6 products.

yeah.....Line6 has come pretty close to nailing some good tone with the HD147 and some patches I've heard from the Xt PRo.

I can't wait to hear the next generation Line 6 head direct towards metal/rock music. The Hd147 was a big leap for them I think from what they had!:kickass:

They one thing that would really help the tones for Line 6 is a more extensive, editable EQ system (maybe 10 band parametric style), and not only be able to select mic/cab sim combinations.....but to be able to simulate moving the mic distance/position in relation to the cab! (kinda like Antares Mic Modeler does, but better):p