Anette Parting with Nightwish

I have been thinking for some time that due to these tensions that seem to go on with their female singers, maybe Tuomas would be better off making Nightwish more like an Ayreon-type project, and having guest singers on the albums and for the tours, rather than putting us fans through the wringer time and time again with replacement vocalists that never work out?

Or just use Marco for all the vocals. :p
</Marco fanboy>

But I think I would rather that than random guests for each album.

AA so it is true, Annette left, thought it was just a nasty rumor , hope shes alright, and hope i can go tonight since i do LOVE Floors voice.

I can't help but wonder if she did get a biopsy when they found the cyst, and perhaps got back the results now... If the doctors said she had to get an operation NOW, then that might be the reason. I've been thinking for a while that something must be wrong with her - if she works out as hard and as much as she claims to, she shouldn't look the same now as she did at the beginning of the tour. She didn't seem to be putting on much muscle despite doing so many strength-building exorcises.

I almost hope they snag Elize. Her other band isn't really all that huge, so she could likely handle both. Hell, if Tommy can pull off Seventh Wonder and Kamelot, she could do Amaranthe and Nightwish. But then, that's assuming they'll want to continue their more rock style vocals as opposed to going back to the operatic style. I'm not crazy about Floor, myself, but she is definitely talented, so I'd give new stuff a shot if they picked her. But as someone said above, I don't think she'd be content to let Tuomas write everything, and I don't think he'd appreciate that. Also, like some people have said, it almost seemed like a test in Denver to see how the fans would respond to a post Anette Nightwish. And even in that shitty circumstance, people seemed to love Elize, even though she didn't even know the lyrics. Who knows...

Musicians tend to stick with their generation/age group. Elize is quite young, isn't she? She only started with Amaranthe in 2008. I figured that might be why they might have passed on Simone Simons. She was about 22 at the time. And no, I have no idea if Simone tried out.

And I said it earlier, somewhere, but it's highly suspicious to me that they got Floor on such short notice. I think this was coming in advance.

You know, it's strange. I woke up this morning with "While Your Lips Are Still Red" stuck in my head, and have been listening to it all day. Now it just feels weirdly appropriate to all this, both for the lyrics and because it's Marco all by himself singing.

Sweet little words made for silence
Not talk
Young heart for love
Not heartache
Dark hair for catching the wind
Not to veil the sight of a cold world

Kiss while your lips are still red
While he`s still silent
Rest while bosom is still untouched, unveiled
Hold another hand while the hand`s still without a tool
Drown into eyes while they`re still blind
Love while the night still hides the withering dawn

When I heard this news, the first thing that went through my mind was "here we go again". I never thought Nightwish would be one of those bands that had trouble holding onto a vocalist (or any member, really), but admittedly, it's demands have to be monumental, and I can see it being easy for someone to burn out (if that is indeed what happened). No one can know if they are prepared for the heavy stress load until they are in it.

At least Floor is tried and tested under heavy pressure. Who knows what the future will hold or who will end up being the new vocalist. All I know is, I rather wish I had gotten to see Floor sing with Nightwish this tour. That is something I had been hoping for ever since the first vocalist change. We'll see what the future will bring.

^Maybe they'll be back this way again to make things up to the fans who didn't quite get what they were promised?

So Floor is receiving a very warm reception, a warm welcome. What a slap in the face to Anette, who got death threats -- and not just one or two, but MANY of them. Put it this way: How would you feel if you lost your job, they hired a new person, and your co-workers essentially said, "wow, we're glad you left, this person is soooo much better! (I hope you do get cancer and die, btw!)" Not saying that ALL fans are saying that, of course, but there are enough of those people around, for sure.

That's kinda how I felt when Robert Trujillo joined Metallica; I mean, it was like, they treated Jason like sh*t for YEARS, and they give this guy a million dollars and treat him like he's always been there? :rolleyes:

I'm not crazy about Floor, myself, but she is definitely talented, so I'd give new stuff a shot if they picked her.

Same here; I've never been an AF fan and have even said once that if Nightwish had picked her, I would turn in my OSA badge. Ironic that I'm now going to see them live with her. :lol: But obviously I haven't turned my fandom in and am very curious to hear how she will pull of both eras of songs.

^ Yes, she deserves a chance, even though her high notes are reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard to me. Her lows are nice though. But when you have a Soprano on hand - even one with Floor's range - people always want those god awful high notes. :bah:

Is there a possibility that Anette wanted to beat the guys to the punch? Not getting openly fired but making it seem like it was a mutual decision. I can't say how sorry I am for you C.. that you never got to hear Anette sing the songs live from the Imaginaerum album, because she really won me over with her live singing of those great songs. I'm sure that Floor will do her best, but she's not Anette.

About the Denver gig; I must admit I understand both parties. I don't think, however, that it was a good idea writing what Anette did in her blog about how she thought it was the wrong decision having those girls from Kamelot (never heard of the band) perform in her stead. But things probably had been brewing for some time, and it was the last straw for both parties; the last straw for Anette since it was in a way the boys’ way to show her that "we can do this without you" type of thing (when keeping in mind that I’ve been told that Anette had been excluded from some events with NW before), and the last straw for the boys that Anette would be so petty about it. Hundreds of fans (don't know how many fans attended the Denver gig) had waited for many years to see the band live again (some for the first time) and it would have been a huge disappointment for them not to get to hear the band play live. And NW never wants to disappoint the fans, and especially not the American fans, who’ve had their share of disappointment as regards to cancelled gigs before.

And Anette is wrong when she wrote that "it's just music". For many fans it's more than music, and maybe that remark was what made the boys make the final decision. I don't know. I'm really thorn about this, because even though there were some problems before, it seemed like a very tight-knit band that took the stage in March 2012 in Helsinki. So it's really disappointing. And I really wished you could have seen the band live C....! I really do.... :(

PS My memory is getting so bad... of course you saw them live performing the songs off the new album C.... My bad. PSS I'm really excited to hear what fans thought of Floor's performance. What little I saw on Youtube, sounded fine to me.

So sad to hear of Anette leaving of course. I just hope fans decide to relax their criticism of someone who has become the NW equivalent of Blaze Bayley.

I think Floor will do an AMAZING job and pull of both eras effortlessly. Plus, she is very road tested and in good health. If none of you have heard her yet, you are in for a treat. She has Tarja's power but she is much more..."balls out" for lack of a better term as she has more of an edge. But she also has a very beautiful voice too...listen to a song like "Cry With A Smile" from the last After Forever album.

Hello everyone who I have not seen in a while on here! I'm excited to see what happens, but I also wish Anette a fond farewell and I hope she gets her health in order.

The owl has...erm...hooted LOL!

Just read on a Finnish tabloid site that some "insiders" say that things came to a head very quickly, but that Anette has felt "left out" for a long time (almost from the get-go). But that the decision was a surprise to most people around NW (which I find hard to believe).

I haven't heard many details about Floor's performance last night but according to a friend of a friend it was "WORTH EVERY PENNY"

I am looking forward to the show tonight and interested to see what the put on the set list, if they go with more old stuff or if they keep with the set of mostly new, I am very interested t hear what Floor's voice sounds like in place of Anette's. I know it will be good, but Anette really won me over this last album and it seemed to be very much written for her voice.

Do you think it's possible that these chicks (Tarja and Annette) just experience exactly how crazy passionate Nightwish fans are, and just let it go to their heads and think they are above the band?

Or maybe Tuomas is a control freak? lol

I'd love to know the real behind the scenes action. It's so weird that another singer gets the boot when it JUST happened 2 albumns ago.

X

I honestly think the two situations (Tarja and Anette) are completely removed from one another, but connected in some ways. From what we know Tarja was fired from the band for a multitude of reasons one of them being the way her husband was managing her and her apparent disconnect with the band. If this was the case the boys in the band were pretty much used to an absent singer with Tuomas as the leader. They had to learn how to write and perform pretty much without Tarja and then throw her in for recording and performing. Jump to the first album with Anette, written completely sans a singer. Do you see where I am going with this? Imaginarium was the first album that had a singer that, from what we can gather from her comments, actually wanted to be included. Only problem is that Tuomas and the boys have never really worked that way and Anette has a kid, which by no means is a bad thing or should have held her back, but it did mean she was sometimes unavailable and since the band was used to working in those kinds of circumstances I have a feeling they just plugged on without her. Hence making her feel like she was left out. Now of course this is all just speculation on my part, but the point I am making is I totally see how it could happen.

Then we get to the stress portion of things. Anette more than once had succumbed to stress during a tour and she mentioned that the illness she suffered in Denver might have been stress induced. Now I have no idea why she was so stressed, but we all know NW fans can be intense and relentless. It wouldn't surprise me if Anette just really had no idea what she was up against. I honestly can see is her lack of knowledge of the band coming into the group leading to some of the stress, while I personally thought it was a great idea for NW to bring in a completely new fresh face that wasn't some starry eyed fan, I sometimes wonder if having someone that at least had a deep understanding of the history of the band would have been better, not necessarily just for the band, but for the new singers sanity. Then we throw any sort of health issue on top of all of this and we all know that health problems and stress are a vicious cycle, having health problems cause stress and stress makes health problems worse.

So this concludes my over analysis of the situation which is probably totally off, but hey it is something to think about. I hope that the whole thing can just all blow over soon and that everyone ends up in a happier, healthier place as time goes on. It was a good run with Anette, she took the band to places that I do not think they could have gone previously and for that I have the utmost respect.

I'm not really sure I buy the whole stress thing. There's LOTS of bands out there, and they all tour and perform just fine. That's the life they chose!

X