Tuomas says no new singer until 2014

Traxan

Mar 10, 2012
Finnish television channel Nelonen's news program "Nelosen Uutiset" last week conducted a short interview with Tuomas Holopainen, keyboardist and main songwriter of the Finnish symphonic metal band NIGHTWISH. You can watch the segment below. An English-language translation follows.

Q: So, you have a temporary singer in the band now [Dutch vocalist Floor Jansen of REVAMP and AFTER FOREVER]. When are you going to reveal who is the permanent new singer of NIGHTWISH and how are you going to pick her?

Tuomas: "If only I knew. We have agreed with Floor that we'll perform the concerts that have been already scheduled through the end of next summer and we'll enjoy ourselves. The feeling in the band is amazing at the moment. But what happens after that and whether Floor will continue, we don't even want to think about yet. Anything is possible, but nothing will be decided before 2014."

Q: What kind of differences of opinion were there between the band and the former singer, Anette Olzon?

Tuomas: "Now we are touching on a subject that we don't want to discuss anymore. Everything we wanted to say was in the statement we gave month ago. So let's just leave it at that."

Jansen made her live debut as the frontwoman of NIGHTWISH on October 1 at Showbox Sodo in Seattle, Washington.

Floor handled lead-vocal duties on NIGHTWISH's recent North American and U.K. tours after the group parted ways with Olzon at the end of September.

In a blog post on her official web site at FloorJansen.com, Floor said, "It is now 10 years ago I joined NIGHTWISH on tour with AFTER FOREVER as their support act. We stayed in touch ever since and that made the whole situation so much easier and smooth."

Olzon joined NIGHTWISH in 2007 as the replacement for Tarja Turunen after the latter was fired in 2005.

NIGHTWISH stated about the sudden singer switch, "In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover."

They added, "We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone.

"We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together."

http://youtu.be/b3XxWoaM8MY

All I can say is ouch. Am I the only one that read between the lines with how he shot down the question concerning Anette? He's one angry, hurt dude right now.

Or simply wants to calm things down. I haven't sensed any particular resentment in Holopainen's comments as of late. (edit, typo)

I mentioned this interview a few days ago on our Facebook, and I thought I linked it here too in the Anette departure thread.

Honestly, I would think right now with the movie, both Nightwish and Anette are still contractually obligated to each other, thus their lack of any real statements about one another at this time.

Save the anger for your next album, Tuomas. Can't wait to hear it. ;)

Maybe for another Master passion greed? :) That would be awesome :headbang:

I was expecting another Bye Bye Beautiful.

Anaheim sold me on Floor. It was lightening on stage.

I'll be pissed (maybe even done with NW) if he decides to go with someone else in 2014.

Not surprised, why pick a new singer when he's got his own project next year.
Which I'm happy for him to do so cos then we get NEW Tarot music!!!!!!!

Good things come to those who wait, and I'm sure it will be worth it.

I think most of us hope that Floor will stay; whether it's because we think she's great for the band, or at the very least, because we as fans do not want to play the game of musical chairs with vocalists anymore. Not to mention us older Nightwish fans remember the furor that the open auditions caused last time; does the band really want to go through that again? :lol:

My feeling is the 10 months between the end of the tour and new album is to let Marco have fun with Tarot, Emppu with his side project, and Floor do ReVamp.

All I can say is ouch. Am I the only one that read between the lines with how he shot down the question concerning Anette? He's one angry, hurt dude right now.

No he's not. He learned his lesson from Tarja and is being diplomatic. The handling of Tarja's dismissal was juvenile, from the letter to the songs on DPP. Now he's being more civil and saying nothing. Anette is also saying nothing. That works for me.

Good things come to those who wait, and I'm sure it will be worth it.

I think most of us hope that Floor will stay; whether it's because we think she's great for the band, or at the very least, because we as fans do not want to play the game of musical chairs with vocalists anymore. Not to mention us older Nightwish fans remember the furor that the open auditions caused last time; does the band really want to go through that again? :lol:

Hah, those days were awful for fans to. At that time I frequented the Nightwish forums (under a different name), and there was so much trolling going on between gals trying to get their demo tapes ready to send in. At the time, I was an overly-optimistic 16 year old who made one of the many hundreds of demo tapes sent in, and this Croation gal that did a lot of cosplay (don't remember the name, just that she was Croation and had a lot of fancy model pictures of her in costumes) absolutely ripped me to shreds and made me feel like I was shitty at music. I was done with that forum from then on, although jokes on her because they did not select her, either.

I have always loved Nightwish...but the fans. I fear the fans; we are all so critical of eachother. I try my very best not to be critical to anyone in the manor that the Croation lady was to me. I suppose Tarja's departure taught me a lot about how to treat other people, and also that I need thicker skin and buck up when I get criticism.

Yes, some Nightwish fans can be brutal, and sadly, there are people out there now who are far worse than how you were treated, if you can imagine that! :(

Yeah...I won't participate in Nightwish's forum or whatever. I'm happy with this site, so far ;). Though I admit to having had lurked around a while before I started participating!

My feeling is the 10 months between the end of the tour and new album is to let Marco have fun with Tarot, Emppu with his side project, and Floor do ReVamp.

Marco says the Tarot guys have riffs to use, lots of them...not that I didn't know that. Tarot will come back and blow us away as usual.

:headbang:

Yeah...I won't participate in Nightwish's forum or whatever.

In a lot of ways that's how OSA got their start, back at the official forum. But many people came here because either the forum was too crowded or just not some people's scene. As for me...well, I was a mod at the official forum back when it was a nice place to be. Now I am an exile for committing the greatest crime of all: being a Nightwish fan.

I'm happy with this site, so far . Though I admit to having had lurked around a while before I started participating!

Welcome home! :D Everyone here are nice folks, and while we have our share of disagreements, our squabbles are pretty minor and get resolved rather quickly. ;)

Metal Hammer UK interview with Tuomas & Floor (Made in London England in early November 2012)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...I won't participate in Nightwish's forum or whatever. I'm happy with this site, so far ;). Though I admit to having had lurked around a while before I started participating!

The NW forum is a pain in the ass because so many non-native English speakers pop in there and they don't get American idiom/slang, they take what I say wrong and then get all butthurt over the least imagined slight. In short, they are a bunch of babies.