Anette Parting with Nightwish

In this interview today by a Dutch radio station (in Dutch) Floor told that she had been preparing to join Nightwish because she was asked to replace Anette in November after the Movie premier gig, but things changed when she got a sms last Saturday morning (Friday night west coast time) telling her to board on a plane and get headed to Seattle asap.

She has no idea yet whether her temporary job will continue after the spring tour in Australia and New Zealand. The matter will be discussed later. ReVamp will continue as planned, a new CD due out next March-April.

I want to ask if there is anyone else that feels a bit of a bitter taste in their mouth with the way things went? Agreed, Anette was not the heart and soul of NW, Tuomas is. But Anette has contributed a lot to the last 2 albums, and I think for my part, gained NW more fans by her more accessible voice, if you will. There's a tinge of callousness in the press release; out with the old one, in with a new. The fact that a band member of 5 years leaves the band, doesn't dampen the spirit whatsoever. "The show must go on" and the like. Yes, the show must go on, but I for one, will look at the boys in NW a bit differently after this. Honestly.
This doesn't mean that I think that Floor won't be a good addition to NW, at least temporary (temporary my ass). There are always two sides to everything. Doesn't mean that the boys were all in the wrong and Anette all in the right, but this whole thing does make me "root for the underdog". Maybe Anette showed some diva-like behaviour. But I think that she's not the only one. I think that there are a few divas in the NW camp, and I'm not necessarily referring to the other band members....

If you saw my earlier post, I do not think that the rest of the band was entirely blameless, but it really doesn't make me look at them differently. I don't listen to the music because of their personal behind the stage lives and as long as the band is still making music that I want to listen to that is what I care about. When put that way I feel kind of heartless. We will probably never know the whole story, but the decision has been made right wrong or indifferent.

A compulation of clips from last nights show with shockingly good audio.

Most of the songs sound quite nice! However, i cannot get into Storytime. That song was fantastic with Anette.

It would be interesting to know whether Anette knew she would be replaced by Floor after the movie premiere?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took some screen caps of that video. I loved this bit with Tuomas teasing the Elf.

jqt8x2.jpg

dgmk94.jpg

And this end of show shot shows just how big Floor is. She towers over Marco and Emppu and is equal to Tuomas, who's a big boy in his own right.

r04j2v.jpg

Wow, holy shit.

I haven't been following up on this at all. I was too depressed that I wasn't able to make the Chicago show due to have $0 to my name for anything fun (lost my shitty job and I'm paying for school and bills) to have any motivation to follow up on Nightwish news at all the last couple months. Today I finally said "fuck it, there will be next tour" and decided to check out the forum first thing. This is nuts...

However, I'm happy about this. I don't like Anette, never did. I think her voice on Imaginaerum was enjoyable but she's just not a metal singer. Am I really the only one who was really bothered by her stage presence? Maybe it's because I'm a guy and it seems like the majority of the posters here are female, but there was somethin really fruity about her stage movements. I'd seriously get uncomfortable just watchin bootlegs. It's like, the fuck you doin? What kind of weird ass dance moves is that? If she wasn't cheesin up the show with her dancing, she was just standing there with no charisma what so ever. Stage presence is important, I don't care what anyone says. Empuu has his little headbang move where he gets really low to the ground and Marco is just okay. This leaves Tuomas having to fill the void and there's only so much you can do while playin the keyboards. I know Nightwish isn't balls to the walls metal and that's why I love the band but when a song like Planet Hell is playing I want to see you get into it. Afterall, a metal show, it doesn't matter the genre, is about letting loose. I just checked out the video above me and man that chick is awesome with the headbanging. She's perfect for the band. I'd love to see a Fantasmic type scene with her and Tuomas where he leaves the keyboards and headbangs with her. Keep her.

EDIT: That being said, I hope all is well with Anette. I respect and enjoyed her vocal contributions to Nightwish. I know I said I didn't like Anette above but I only meant her stage presence. I wish her luck.

I want to ask if there is anyone else that feels a bit of a bitter taste in their mouth with the way things went? Agreed, Anette was not the heart and soul of NW, Tuomas is. But Anette has contributed a lot to the last 2 albums, and I think for my part, gained NW more fans by her more accessible voice, if you will. There's a tinge of callousness in the press release; out with the old one, in with a new. The fact that a band member of 5 years leaves the band, doesn't dampen the spirit whatsoever. "The show must go on" and the like. Yes, the show must go on, but I for one, will look at the boys in NW a bit differently after this. Honestly.
This doesn't mean that I think that Floor won't be a good addition to NW, at least temporary (temporary my ass). There are always two sides to everything. Doesn't mean that the boys were all in the wrong and Anette all in the right, but this whole thing does make me "root for the underdog". Maybe Anette showed some diva-like behaviour. But I think that she's not the only one. I think that there are a few divas in the NW camp, and I'm not necessarily referring to the other band members....

Perhaps it goes to deeper sentiments. Perhaps there is still a hidden general animosity towards Anette, although completely not her fault, for replacing Tarja. Perhaps there is a 'been there, done that' sentiment which makes this seem like old news and not worth all the hoopla yet again. Just maybe, many older fans were willing to accept Anette because of their overall feelings about Nightwish, but more secretly didn't feel she was the best fit.

Mind you, I am not saying any of these are necessarily my feelings. I am simply postulating a few possible theories to explain what you are picking up on. For me personally, what's done is done. As I've said before, I was hoping Floor would be the choice ever since Tarja left the band. I don't know whether or not she will be, I would be quite happy if she assumed the mantle as the voice of Nightwish. However, she has had a thriving career of her own from the defunct After Forever to ReVamp to all of her various work with Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One..), So if she was the one, I could easily see her coming to stay for only a few years as well.

Regardless of how this all unfolds, it will be fascinating to see how newer fans; those who came aboard during the Anette Era, react to whatever comes next.

I agree with you concerning what Anette's voice has done. It has brought a great popularity with audiences that would almost certainly never appreciate an even remotely operatic singer. This is putting the cart WAY in front of the horse, but if an operatic pick happens, it will be interesting to see if the band backslides, or maintains it's new found fan base.

Most of the songs sound quite nice! However, i cannot get into Storytime. That song was fantastic with Anette.

It would be interesting to know whether Anette knew she would be replaced by Floor after the movie premiere?

Something else that needs to be considered: Songs are written with a particular vocalist in mind. I wouldn't expect Floor to sing the Anette songs as well as we ever expected Anette to sing the Tarja songs (and in fact, many were slightly re-arranged on tour to fit Anette's voice). Whoever the next vocalist may be (perhaps Floor, perhaps someone currently unknown), songs written with their voice in mind will obviously suit them better.

Oh yeah. I've been feeling this since the news came down. I hate, hate, hate band drama, and I generally have a hard time maintaining respect for a band that can't solve its own internal problems without booting people (see Evanescence and the nonsense with Moody mid-tour. Gaaaah.) I dealt with the Tarja drama (mostly because I found out about it all after the fact), but honestly Nightwish is really pushing my respect limit by letting yet another singer go. I will always love and listen to their music, but I'd really like to be able to respect them as people as well.

I just feel really, really bad for Anette, especially after finding out that they meant to replace her all along. I've seen so many comments along of the vein of "Finally, NW will have a *real* singer again!" and I can't help but hope she's not reading those. Because damn, how must it feel to put up with five or so years of crap trying to earn everyone's respect, only to have all too many people happy to see you go in the end. It just...eh.

I really hope Anette knew about the arrangement with Floor in November, and that this parting really was as mutual as their PR department made it sound. The idea of the guys dropping something like that on her out of the blue is just not something I want to think about them doing.

I like what I've seen of Floor so far. I'm seeing NW in two weeks, and I hope they blow me away...but at the same time, I know I'm going to be feeling a little guilty for enjoying them without Anette. So eh. I'm still pretty conflicted over this whole thing.

Whoa...I knew Floor was tall, but damn! Oh, I envy any of you who were at that show!

I feel a bit guilty too because I really liked Anette, but as a musician and being in a band myself, if there were problems, I am hoping the band did what was best.

I think that there are a few divas in the NW camp, and I'm not necessarily referring to the other band members....

Oh. Hell. Yeah. :lol:

I've got to say, Floor sounds really great on these songs! I hope she sounds this good at the So. Cal. shows! Hearing "Dead to the World" is making me SO anxious for the shows!!! I'm not hot on the way she does "Amaranth", but considering the fact that she has to fill in for not one, but TWO singers, she's doing the best with what she's got. I'll give her just as fair a break on that as I did for Anette.

Good news, everyone with shows left to attend: VIP tickets are now available for ALL shows!!! VIP all weekend long. Happy f*ckin' birthday to me!
rvd.gif

Well, that answers my question about the movie premiere. At least we know that she wasn't just thrown out without any warning ala Tarja, and that they did really try to hold on to her for as long as possible. I still think the departure has more to do with her throwing the band under the bus time and time again on her blog and not so much about her health. Sorry, but if I was the type to blab on a blog about my life all day long (which I'm not), I would be writing things more along the lines of, "gee, I hope these tests come back OK" or, "I am really worried about my health right now"; not bitching about how the band carried on ONE freaking show without me. I'm not saying her health isn't an issue, but sounds to me like she's worrying more about what the band had to do in a moment's notice rather than about her own self. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm done with being upset about Anette being gone. It sucks that she's not in the band anymore, but at least I got to see 4 amazing shows with her at the helm, and I was glad to have met her in '08. I don't regret any of those shows and there were wonderful memories at every one of them. I will always remember OSA Weekend with fondness. I am not one of those people who are breaking down over her being gone, but I'm not cheering over it either. It sucks for both parties that things had to happen this way, and hopefully both sides will have a chance to reconcile things a little better, or be able to give the fans some more closure as time goes on and heals all things.

Hearing Floor perform 'Dark Chest of Wonders' was pure win. I'm looking forward to hearing them perform it Friday.

The band has tomorrow off after the SF show, but I'll bet any money Mr. Tuomas will be wandering Disneyworld. I'd go looking around if I didn't have to work and it wasn't too stalkerish a thing to do.

It seems the Tarja option hoped for by some can be laid to rest now, thanks to the inquisitive efforts of our ever-diligent evening press. Iltalehti has been able to coax some answers from Ms Turunen-Cabuli:

"I'd be willing to come back to Nightwish if all the band members and the management changed."

When asked about any thoughts regarding the present split-up:
"Sadly, this didn't come as a surprise to me."

A rather intriguing comment regarding the fans' wishes for a reunion: "No one knows what I went through with them during the years in the band, so I accept how hard it is for them (the fans) to understand my feelings about this."

While there's not much new really in the rest of the story, these are verbatim quotes from her; at least one is made to believe so.

For those wishing to check it out by themselves: http://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2012100316156051_ps.shtml

^ I had a good laugh when I read her including the management on her list of things to change. Guess she didn't love Ewo too much in the first place but when he became the band's full time manager back in autumn 2002 the feeling was mutual already. Aaaand... while it was Ewo who actually talked the guys over to boot her... Yes, I can feel the love :p

^ I had a good laugh when I read her including the management on her list of things to change. Guess she didn't love Ewo too much in the first place but when he became the band's full time manager back in autumn 2002 the feeling was mutual already. Aaaand... while it was Ewo who actually talked the guys over to boot her... Yes, I can feel the love :p

The amazing part is how she doesn't miss an opportunity to make herself look like a poor victim who had to go through such horrors. It's long since over with and done, yet it seems that she is still trying to claim some sort of moral high ground.

As for those who have been speaking of her re-joining the band: Such talk was no doubt inevitable from some fans, but completely unrealistic. Still, the gossip mill will always run it's mouth.

This might sound harsh, but the phase "stop living in the past" comes to mind in reference to those people. I for one have enjoyed each Nightwish era for what they have been and I very much look forward to what will come next. Especially if that future happens to contain Floor Jansen. But even if it doesn't, Nightwish has always been a special band. I don't foresee that changing now.