Annoying thing about Opeth

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
The only thing that annoys me about Opeth's music is the repetitions. The number of times a certain melody is repeated can sometimes be almost unbearable, like in the intro to To Bid You Farewell or Moonlapse Vertigo or The Moor. Even Porcelain Heart could use some shortening in the intro. I wonder why they do that....

The only thing that annoys me about Opeth's music is the repetitions. The number of times a certain melody is repeated can sometimes be almost unbearable, like in the intro to To Bid You Farewell or Moonlapse Vertigo or The Moor. Even Porcelain Heart could use some shortening in the intro. I wonder why they do that....

thats what makes them unique, and addictive to listen to.. You just don't get enough:loco:

I don't know if there are any such sections at all.

Sections that I've been told are too short:

1) "Am I like them" from "The Night and the Silent Water."

2) "Devious movements in your eyes" from "Bleak."

3) The instrumental, Castlevania-esque section near the middle-end of "Baying Hounds".

4) "Your memory's nothing but the scars on me" from "Deliverance."

5) "Making my way through... something... oh-oh-OH" part from "Godhead's Lament" (sorry, can't remember the exact lyrics at the moment, SL isn't one of my favorite Opeth albums).

And many others.

In fact, one of my friends told me that Opeth should've made ENTIRE SONGS from these sections alone.

I don't agree, but then, I don't really agree with you, either. I'm in the middle. :D

The only thing I reckon should be shorter is the intro to Blackwater park, and the acoustic bit. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I just feel it should be shorter.

Åndrija;8221074 said:
The only thing I reckon should be shorter is the intro to Blackwater park, and the acoustic bit. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I just feel it should be shorter.

I don't agree. The intro is one of their very best and its not too long, same with the outro.

I always thought that these long riffs and these big repetitions were positive points. I don't see the problem with it. Notice that they do it mostly when riffs are more melodic and ambiant. It's just to give you a feeling and let you the time to "get it". Remember The Drapery Falls.

I thought the outro to Deliverance was too long when I started listening to Opeth..

Now I think it's the most epic thing a song ever contained what-so-ever.

Sections that I've been told are too short:

1) "Am I like them" from "The Night and the Silent Water."

2) "Devious movements in your eyes" from "Bleak."

3) The instrumental, Castlevania-esque section near the middle-end of "Baying Hounds".

4) "Your memory's nothing but the scars on me" from "Deliverance."

5) "Making my way through... something... oh-oh-OH" part from "Godhead's Lament" (sorry, can't remember the exact lyrics at the moment, SL isn't one of my favorite Opeth albums).

And many others.

In fact, one of my friends told me that Opeth should've made ENTIRE SONGS from these sections alone.

I don't agree, but then, I don't really agree with you, either. I'm in the middle. :D

also the last part in demon of the fall... it could last 8 minutes i would never get tired of that part

I don't really have a problem with the repetitions. I never find myself wishing a part would end because I am instead anticipating the climax that is coming up.

I think that may be one reason there is such repetition in some Opeth songs. It builds anticipation/tension and makes the next section even that much relieving/orgasmic.

Repetitions are great.repetitions are great.repetitions are great.repetitions are great.repetitions are great.repetitions are great.repetitions are great.

- songs that sound like riffs glued together (like their first two albuns and some songs today)
- too long songs (i know it's their style but...)

Anyway, I like Opeth.

I'll love repeating this for you...

maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....maybe you should write your own music and then tell us about it....