Another Kayo Dot thread, for several reasons...

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
First, I'm going to see these dudes (and chick) not once but TWICE tomorrow, at two different venues in LA under two different names (Kayo Dot and then later The Hotdog Eaters). I RULE.

Second, two people need to check them shits out, Nate and JayKeeley. Nate especially because these guys (and girl) are redefining music as we know it, and I know he loves bands that push boundaries. Seriously, check them out, and let me know if you want a preview CD-R. Also I burned Choirs of the Eye for JayKeeley and he didn't like it, BUT he enjoyed Godspeed You! Black Emperor just recently which honestly could open a whole shitload of doors for him, concerning the "on the fly" genres of music. Listen to track 3 on that CD you bastard!

Finally, I have puffy Cheetos and a fresh pack of smokes. Once again, I RULE.

OMG WTF X-POST!!!!11111

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174468

The Silverlake Lounge is a nice little dive bar in a shitty part of town, but the parking was close and free.

They played The Antique, Marathon, and The Manifold Curiosity. I was hoping for the entire album plus a 20 minute encore of new material, but I can't say it wasn't a great set. I was curious how the timing and dynamics would come out in a live setting, and the results far exceeded even my most optimistic hopes. Probably the greatest moment was the opening note of Marathon which, even though I sat toward the back and was expecting it to hit at any second, scared the shit out of me. The segue music was really cool, it was obvious when the songs ended but these kept the momentum going while instruments and tunings were changed between songs. I had goosebumps nearly the entire set, everything was just so perfect. Hopefully the band will get a chance to tour across the country more often (or I'll just move to Boston, whatever).

Met Greg right before the show, but after walking outside to have a smoke after the KO. set and seeing 20+ cops, one of which searching for possible bullet casings underneath my car, I figured that was a good time to leave so I didn't meet anyone else. Not sure if the Hot Dog Eaters thing was / is going to happen, but at that point I decided I had had enough of LA for the day so I came home. Oh well, maybe it'll be bootlegged.

Finally, I wish more shows were like this regarding time of day. It's about 7:30pm and I just got home, most LA shows I return home around 2am without the will to get up and go to work the next morning.

Damn thats a weird time. Its quite cultured going to a concert at that hour of the day. But then again, Kayo Dot are quite a cultured band. How high did they have the sound? Was that reasonable as well?

Well I am jealous, I think I would actually attend one of their concerts if they came to Cincy. I saw Godspeed play a 250 seat venue 2 years ago. The music was amazing, but the experience was quite akin to going to a symphony concert.

They played Cleveland 2 weeks ago, looks like no Cincy on this tour.

The sound was absolutely astounding, probably the best sounding concert I've attended, because it was extremely clear, the soft parts were perfectly audible, and the loud parts could have destroyed a person at 10 paces. They have a dedicated soundman, I'm sure this was a lot to do with it.

I want to see GY!BE, maybe they'll tour again some day.

Oh yeah and one of the bands that was there (KO. opened so I didn't see anyone else) opened for Hammers in SF a few months ago, still don't know their name. Continental maybe? Grindcore-ish with insane stop/start tempos, pretty cool.

I'm starting to realize that was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed yesterday and am starting to consider heading to the Ventura show tonight...

One Inch Man said:
They have a dedicated soundman, I'm sure this was a lot to do with it.

I want to see GY!BE, maybe they'll tour again some day.
having your own soundman when you're touring clubs must be the coolest luxury...he's familiar with the band and what they prefer.

I'm waiting for Toby's CD! Adrian, the other day I went back and listened to "Mr. Kobasa" and just loved it so much..."Mr. Kobasa....fucking moronnnnnn..."

Yeah I was skeptical when I found out a member of the band was "just" the sound guy, but jesus the results make me ashamed I ever doubted them. It sounded as clean as the fucking CD!

There are a few Spoonion songs that are just pure genius, Mr. Kobasa Jungle Mix being one of them. And yeah, Toby's solo CD will probably have me giggling like a schoolgirl/Homer for weeks on end.

Justin, go early. They were first of 2+ other bands and were scheduled to play at 4pm, but started at 5pm. I found this out by chance and showed up at 3:30pm, otherwise I would've arrived after 6pm, a very sad NAD.

I think the myspace.com site has times listed?