another mic shootout! find the 57 ;)

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
1: 57
2: Pencil
3: Condenser
4: 57 clone

3 & 4 were IMO the hardest to discern. Whilst #3 sounds closer to the 57 than #4, it's hard to tell whether 4 may actually be the condenser but just picking up all the crap from the cab, rather than it being an outright cheap 57 clone.

With assumption that the mics are about pointed at the same position, I came to these conclusions: The fourth is a bit sharp to my taste, almost like some pencil meant for overheads and the second one doesn't have balls, so my guess is that it is the condenser. The first one is very similiar to the third in my opinion as they both have kind much low end compared to the other two and as you said that one of them is a 57 clone, I would then guess that the sharper sounding might be 57 and the smoother might be the clone.

1: 57 clone
2: condenser
3: 57 (this might be the clone too)
4: pencil

tho, I might be totally off.

edit: I combined them a little, I think this sounded nice: http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/micshootout5.mp3
Mic1 -3db, Mic2 -15db (phase inversed), Mic3 -3db, Mic4 -9db (phase inversed)

ah!
the results:

1. 57 (ofcourse, hehe)
2. the 57 clone (MB75)
3. Pencil Condensator (EM700)
4. Studio Projects B1 Condensator

Hm, that 57 clone sure lacks lows among other things. Which is strange, since I've listened to another comparison between a 57 and a 75 and the difference was mainly that the clone was a lot muddier and less crisper. Either way it proves to show that it's better to rent mics until you have enough money for the real thing than to waste money on stuff like that..unless you need mics for rehearsals or small gigs and you don't want drummers hitting your sm57's :)