(another) New Megadeth track - New Kiss track

I know he's better technically than Ace I grew up listening to Bkack N Blue in Portland. Wait a minute! He didn't play on Alive IV!!!!! That was an Ace show, it was recorded in Vancouver on New Year's Eve 1999....

Alive 4 was 2002 in Melbourne Australia with a symphony. At least that's what my version of the CD says. "Kiss Alive 4 symphony"

there are 2 alive 4's i think. one with the symphony and tommy and the one in the alive boxset that was aborted originally then released in that boxset

Sure but Dream Theater are still relevant today if you like the new stuff or not...Kiss had some great songs back in the day but They are so doing this for the money.

what makes a band relevant? DT is only relevant to prog listeners and maybe metal listeners. they never sold huge numbers or had crossover hits. they are as relevant to todays music as ugly kid joe

DT is only relevant to prog listeners and maybe metal listeners. they never sold huge numbers or had crossover hits. they are as relevant to todays music as ugly kid joe

They did pretty well with "Pull Me Under" I don't know that UKJ is even close to being as relevant as DT. UGK got this reputation as a "joke" band, they were a "goof" I'd say they were in the same league as Dread Zeppelin or maybe by today's standards Steel Panther AKA Metal Skool....

They did pretty well with "Pull Me Under" I don't know that UKJ is even close to being as relevant as DT. UGK got this reputation as a "joke" band, they were a "goof" I'd say they were in the same league as Dread Zeppelin or maybe by today's standards Steel Panther AKA Metal Skool....

i was making a joke. nothing dream theater does is relevant to 99% of todays music

i was making a joke. nothing dream theater does is relevant to 99% of todays music

I think that the statement is a bit too harsh and second it only perpetuates the war of words. I ask regulars (special old ones) to stay off that path.

And IMO Dream Theater did a lot for progressive metal back in the day, the same that Hammerfall did for power metal. The fact that now there are more and/or better bands it's another topic.

I think that the statement is a bit too harsh and second it only perpetuates the war of words. I ask regulars (special old ones) to stay off that path.

And IMO Dream Theater did a lot for progressive metal back in the day, the same that Hammerfall did for power metal. The fact that now there are more and/or better bands it's another topic.

i wasn't trying to add to the war of words. relevant music is basically young bands you hear when you cut on the radio and turn it to your favorite station. if you cut on a rock/metal station these days i don't hear super fast guitar solo's, operatic styled vocals or 10+ minute tunes which is what dream theater is about. thats as far away from whats going on right now as possible. they are relevant to underground bands i guess but underground bands aren't relevant in the music business these days. dream theater has more in common with bands from the 70's and 80's. if i had to pick a band from the 80's that seems relevant to todays music it would be u2 and if we are talking about a hard rock band i think the cult still seems relevant to the sounds of modern music

i wasn't trying to add to the war of words. relevant music is basically young bands you hear when you cut on the radio and turn it to your favorite station.

I see your point, but sadly I can't follow it. The reason? To me radio is irrelevant, I listen to music because I like it, not because is radio-friendly or a best-seller.

Even look at KISS, if you manage to get some of them on some classic rock radio or the so called real rock radio (you don't have an idea how bad is here), you may get 'I Was Made For Loving You', 'Detroit Rock City' or Rock'N'Roll All Nite, and they have what...19 studio albums?

So people like KISS because they like the music, or just because they had a fair part of radio play and because they came from the 70's?

Look a Blue Oyster Cult, one of the best 70's band IMO, and they have 2-3 songs maybe on radio from a huge catalogue of astonishing songs.

So sorry but relevant music is the music A PERSON LIKES independant of their popularity or radio play. I'm going to PPX in a couple of weeks and most of the bands people consider absolutely relevant for the show are bands I don't even care about.

So relevance can be tricky depending on your point of view. Are The Beatles relevant? The Rolling Stones?, The Animals?, Herman's Hermits?, I mean if the Beatles would have never existed will rock/metal will be the same today, but what about Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders? Is Metallica relevant? Megadeth? Slayer? Kreator? Sepultura?, again if Metallica wouldn't have existed will be metal as we know it today?, but what about Destruction?

I believe some people here are mixing relevance with personal taste. I dislike B so it is not relevant, and since you like B but don't like A you don't know about relevance of a band :Smug:

C'mon people this is UMOS we are better than that and we know it. Everybody likes whatever he/she wants, and everybody knows which bands are relevant historically...even if we don't like the music ;), so no need to attack any band.

So carry on, I'm still enjoying the debate :p

I meant relevant with the Metal Scene today...At live shows they aren't a best of band. They have made albums almost every 2 years for the past 15 years now. They have a huge following world wide if you like them or not.

I'm a huge fan of DT's whole career as are many people.

And yeah most Prog Metal band's Always either sound like Dream Theater, Symphony X or Pain of Salvation. Highly Influential

i agree radio isn't relevant as much as it once was but bands like kiss and the rolling stones can walk into any record laben right now and get signed because of who they are. didn't megadeth have to put in a good word with the roadrunner record execs. for dream theater? i thought that was one reason DT was on the gigantour was because roadrunner wanted megadeth to help give them a push

also to say most prog metal bands sound like the 3 bands mentioned in this thread i really weird considering DT says they sound like fates warning and symphony x says they sound like queensryche

also to say most prog metal bands sound like the 3 bands mentioned in this thread i really weird considering DT says they sound like fates warning and symphony x says they sound like queensryche

To me that's weirder (but I take your word for it) since neither FW, SX or Queensryche have ever moved me a bit. I always thought that DT were the 90's metal act evolved (or devolved :p) from what Rush made in the 70's and 80's (without taking merit to the influence of classic prog bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Camel, King Crimson, Magma, Van der Graff Generator, Tangerine Dream, etc.), although maybe The Flower Kings are more a modern act response to classic prog bands and DT, FW, SX are the same to a more metal sound.

We have a local band here that I consider the best ever came out in this country: Time's Forgotten. They already have 2 albums under their belt and they even opened the Baja Prog festival couple of years ago with only the debut out (the second album came out like 3 weeks ago). Check their incluences according to them here : http://www.myspace.com/timesforgottenband (they sing in English).

Right now I'm more interested in stuff from them or bands like Scale The Summit (on tour with DT right now), Tetrafusion, Edensong and of course The Flkower Kings, Karmakanic, The Tangent (and hopefully a new Transatlantic album) than DT itself.

mike portnoy said something one time like "people think we invented this sound for prog metal but fates warning already were doing the same thing for years before us." or something similar to that

mike portnoy said something one time like "people think we invented this sound for prog metal but fates warning already were doing the same thing for years before us." or something similar to that

With all due respect to MP and besides the fact he's given FW proper recognition, I think his statement is kind of silly. What he means by we invented this sound for prog metal? I don't think any modern band invented anything in the prog field, they just borrowed what was already done and put a bit of themselves. Invented this sound? What sound? Are he going to tell me that FW, DT, SX, QR, SG, PT, SB, TFK, POS, etc. are all sound alike? Not to me at least.

Anyway, when we lost track of the original thread? Do people like the new Megadeth tune? At least I do :D, Do people like the new KISS tune? Don't know, I don't listen to them :p

funny enough someone posted the quote on FW wikipedia page:
"very often fans and critics credit Dream Theater for creating a whole new genre of progressive metal music in the late '80s/early '90s, . . . but the truth is Fates Warning were doing it years before us"

funny enough someone posted the quote on FW wikipedia page:
"very often fans and critics credit Dream Theater for creating a whole new genre of progressive metal music in the late '80s/early '90s, . . . but the truth is Fates Warning were doing it years before us"

Ah alright, a whole new genre, that's different...in a way. Progressive metal as we know it today is the evolution coming from Rush and the great progressive rock bands of the 70's but with a more metal sound and thus I'm sure Fates Warning can be credited as one of the first in the sub-genre considering their debut is from 1984 although their most known sound was developed later if I'm not mistaken (not a fan of them).

I want to quote here another site:

Initially, progressive metal bands fell into two camps, the first being bands who incorporated quirky time signatures and atypical riffing into metal, and the (related) second being metal bands strongly influenced by 70's progressive rock bands such as Yes, Genesis, and ELP. Watchtower and Thought Industry are two excellent examples of the first group, while Dream Theater remains the most well-known of the latter group, as well as the single band most fans point to first when referring to progressive metal. In later years, melodic progressive metal bands have blossomed, many of them not quite as technically oriented as the genre originally defined. Indeed, a lot of these bands can be best described as some mixture of Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Fates Warning, which indeed places these three bands as major innovators in the field. On the extreme end of progressive metal is technical metal, where the musicianship and songwriting variance is placed at an even higher premium. This is demonstrated by bands such as Cynic and Spiral Architect.

from http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=P

Just for the record I'm not endorsing what it is said above, just want to point that to many metalheads that's a common view even if not the most accuurate one.