Another prime example....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
....of why people who consider themselves to be "reviewers" or any sort of official word on subjects they don't actually know about really bugs me.

While surfing online just a bit ago, I came across a review on a website for our "Reflecting In Grey Dusk" cd, which was (for those who don't know) a limited edition compilation cd we gave away for free on our 2004 tour we did with The Gathering and Agalloch.

Being that I have rarely seen a review of that cd (most likely because it was distributed so limitedly), I was intrigued to read what was said. The overall rating score was a decent one, so my hopes were high....

....and then I read the text.

(By the way, this comes from www.metal-archives.com)

Here's how the "review" goes-

[SIZE=-1]Written by grimdoom on July 23rd, 2007[/SIZE]

Originally this was to be Novembers Dooms’ fifth album; however at the time of said albums creation/recording, the band decided to rethink what they were doing musically. The follow up album to 2002s’ ‘To Welcome the Fade’ was originally titled ‘Ascension’, then ‘Reflecting in Grey Dusk’ and it’s presumed that it was to follow the bands prior Doomdeath style. After the band announced that they were changing their format they turned this into a limited compilation and gave it away while playing a concert with the recording line up from said album.

This is why the following album (The Pale Haunt Departure) was such a ‘departure’ from the bands original sound. As anyone who has followed this band can tell you, it was a ‘departure’ from their Doomdeath mastery.

There are two songs of peak interest here; the first is “In the Absence of Grace” which was first recorded song (in demo form) from the band since 2004’s ‘To Welcome the Fade’. It appeared on the bands 2005 follow up ‘The Pale Haunt Departure’. The second song is their cover of Ozzys’ ‘Revelation (Mother Earth) (from the 'Legend of a Madman: Ozzy Osbourne Tribute') which was, until this was released, the only way to hear that song.

Over all, this is a good comp; the songs contained within are good choices. The only real let down is that the band changed their sound with such drastic abandon that their actual fifth album sounds out of place when compared to all six of them. This is worth hunting down if you’re a true fan of the band.

:erk:My god, where do I even begin with this one?? LOL

While I can appreciate the fact that the guy is (or was, at least) a fan of the band apparently, I'm pretty stunned at the amazing amount of misinformation this person is giving here and trying to present as "fact".

First of all...... this cd was never intended at any point to be the actual studio follow-up cd after "To Welcome The Fade". We were already well into the writing process for "The Pale Haunt Departure" when we decided to create this comp cd purely for the means of having a nice freebie to give away to the fans who were cool enough to come out and see us on our tour. Nothing more, nothing less. Plus, we did not just give this away at one concert, it was given away at a number of shows during 2004. We had NEVER intended to call our next studio album "Reflecting...", we came up with that specifically for this comp cd. The only accurate bit is that we were initially going to call TPHD by the title of "Ascension" but opted against this not long after we did that 2004 tour. Where this guy got this info that he thinks is correct is beyond me.

Second.....reading a bit much into that whole "departure" aspect, aren't we? Heh. While there were definitely elements of TPHD that were a step beyond what we'd done in the past, we never sat there and claimed we were completely leaving doom/death behind......and we didn't. If "Collapse of the Fallen Throe" and "Dead Leaf Echo", to name just two, aren't pretty much straight up doom-death to your ears, then you need to really re-evaluate what you think you know, man. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, which is fine, but I hate when people write shit like this and try to put it forth as though it's absolute fact. Especially when it's so far off base. At least a good 50% or more of that album is still steeped pretty heavily in doom. How can people not hear that? Oh well....

Third......"Revelation (Mother Earth)" was not first heard on this compilation. It originally appeared on an Ozzy tribute cd that came out around 1998/1999, and had pretty widespread distribution. While it wasn't necessarily an easy song to find at the time, it wasn't completely rare. To paraphrase him, "as anyone who has followed this band can tell you....", this song did not appear in public for the 1st time on "Reflecting....". Do your homework, man! LOL

Lastly.....he caps off the "review" by once again complaining about our MASSIVE HUGE MONUMENTAL STYLE CHANGE that we did with TPHD :lol: Again, if it really came off that way to this person, I guess that's their opinion, regardless if I think it's an unfair exaggeration. But more to the point is......this review spends more time discussing this subjective shit, and doesn't really tell you much about the actual cd he is supposed to be reviewing!!! Only one of the four paragraphs really even discusses what you'll find on the disc, and that's not saying much.

I don't want to come off completely ungrateful for the fact that this guy cared enough to sit down and write this stuff about us. I do appreciate the effort, and we do care about our fans a great deal. But it just bothers me that someone who is supposed to be a fan would be so dreadfully misinformed, when it really doesn't take that much time and effort to find out the accurate details. I mean for example, I love the band KISS, but I wouldn't go and write some articles for publication without making sure that I had my facts straight. I mean all his subjective opinions aside, regardless of whether I agree with his opinions doesn't matter, it's the stuff he's trying to state as though it's some kind of factual history of the band that irks me. And judging by some of the things he's said in his reviews, I'm guessing he's the same guy who botched up alot of the info in our original Wikipedia page too (again man, truly appreciate the effort but damn, please check your facts!!! haha)

Anyhow, I dunno if this guy reads this forum or ever posts here, if so I hope he'll realise this isn't meant to be malicious....it's more or less a case of scratching my head and saying "what the hell". I mean especially if you post or read here, you should know that you can always come to us if you need clarification on any topics or history about the band :)

So just for future reference to any of you guys or gals......we LOVE if you guys want to write reviews or articles or online encyclopedia type summaries! Please be our guest, we encourage it! But just show us the courtesy and respect to at least make sure you are getting your facts straight before you submit it for publication and public consumption.

Also, I just wanted to post this thread and make note of the inaccuracies in the facts, so that people might read this and know the truth, in case they'd read that article and assumed it to be true. Alot of other interviewers and critics will often read these other articles in order to get familiar with a band's history, which is a big part of why I care about this stuff so much. The more the misinformation is spread, the more difficult it becomes for us to get the facts straight for everyone.

Larry - Yeah, I used to write reviews for Metal Archives myself. (I believe you can find my review of TNR there, if you are interested).

Anyhow, the mods there pretty much let any review through.

You submit the review, and receive a message that it goes through "review". Though, I too have read a lot of reviews there with erroneous information.

I guess all I can say is, the internet has always been and will always be "let the reader beware"

These reviews can be a good source of information, but they will always be susceptible to false information.

It must be frustrating, as a band member, to read these things. As Jasonic says, these writings can be helpful, and also filled with inaccuracies. If I'm interested in a band, I'll research them as well as I can, and then purchase some music. Then make my OWN assessment. Take a fuckin' chance once in awhile, buy the music, who knows you might like it. Don't let some nit-wit dictate your listening.

and if you're going to get things wrong, why not REALLY get them wrong. like, write a Wikipedia entry about how i left the band to move to Alaska and learn how to live with the Grizzlies in hopes that I might someday be eaten and immortalized in a film by Werner Herzog, Abbas left to prepare for his future presidency campaign (ABBAS IN '12), and Joe really lives on a dingo farm where he provides therapy to wayward teenagers by teaching them how to grow pumpkins the size of a bass drum.

I approach music reviews like I approach movie reviews - I'm interested to hear different opinions, but I don't put much stock in them. It seems to be a fairly common practice to make opinions "fact", and to talk out their ass from lack of knowledge and misinformation. It does suck that many people take these reviews as "gospel", and base their opinions on them. And Paul's right -there is NO excuse for this with a band like ND, because the guys are so accessible and forthright. Kudos to Larry for setting the record straight :)

and if you're going to get things wrong, why not REALLY get them wrong. like, write a Wikipedia entry about how i left the band to move to Alaska and learn how to live with the Grizzlies in hopes that I might someday be eaten and immortalized in a film by Werner Herzog, Abbas left to prepare for his future presidency campaign (ABBAS IN '12), and Joe really lives on a dingo farm where he provides therapy to wayward teenagers by teaching them how to grow pumpkins the size of a bass drum.

:lol: A dingo ate your baby! :lol:

The only time I truly take stock in reviews, esp fan reviews on sites as M-A, is when I am discovering a band for the first time who has multiple releases (IE - more than 4 or 5, let's say).

Manilla Road is the first band that comes to mind, as they have over a dozen studio releases.

Well, from reading reviews, I have come to learn that there a couple to avoid (IE - maybe get someday, but would not be a good one to start with).

Let's take a band like Candlemass for example.
If someone were to ask you, "Which one album should I start with?", most likely you would not recommend, let's say "From the 13th Sun" Great album, but probably not the most representative of the overall Candlemass sound and vibe (Both musically and lyrically).

This is where a review from an honest fan can be of assistance.

Anyhow, I am off tangent a bit here. Just wanted to say that from an overall perspective, fan reviews can be resourceful, if accurate.

Well, just to reiterate, my issue isn't even so much with the guy's personal opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. It's the stuff he writes where he's telling history of the band that's just completely wrong, lol. That's what really got to me about it. I mean, bad reviews and all that, pfft whatever, we've had those before, no biggie.

Oh I just read that DVD review he did.......good grief. LOL. So because we decided to record the DVD in Europe it means we've "shunned our American fans" eh? Wow. It bums me out that there's people out there who actually think this way. And what's this business about the drums being so horrible that they throw the whole band off time a bunch of times?? What copy did THAT guy get? Haha, because it sure ain't the one I have! All the instruments might not be as tight and perfect as they are on the studio cds, but....it's fuckin' LIVE. I guess we coulda been like most other bands and just recorded the whole live show in the studio so it'd be perfect, but what's the point in that? We went in and fixed a couple of mistakes, some audio recording glitches, but it's pretty much what you heard at the show that night, as anyone here who was there can tell you.

It seems like alot of the opinions I've heard on the DVD are extreme, they either really love it, or they don't like it much at all. But then again, that kinda seems to be the norm for everything we put out!!

Oh I just read that DVD review he did.......good grief. LOL. So because we decided to record the DVD in Europe it means we've "shunned our American fans" eh? Wow. It bums me out that there's people out there who actually think this way. And what's this business about the drums being so horrible that they throw the whole band off time a bunch of times?? What copy did THAT guy get? Haha, because it sure ain't the one I have! All the instruments might not be as tight and perfect as they are on the studio cds, but....it's fuckin' LIVE. I guess we coulda been like most other bands and just recorded the whole live show in the studio so it'd be perfect, but what's the point in that? We went in and fixed a couple of mistakes, some audio recording glitches, but it's pretty much what you heard at the show that night, as anyone here who was there can tell you.

I'm guessing this fucking shitmouth and others like him will review the Agalloch DVD the same way. "boo...the acoustic parts were played with clean guitars, boo...the songs aren't played exactly and perfectly like on the albums, boo...they changed the middle of "Shadow", boo...they recorded it in Europe to shun their US fanbase, boo hoo hoo...".

And you know damn well if you guys had re-recorded everything, replaced sounds, and had a million extras on the DVD, you'd get criticised for that. You really cannot win. This is why I never care about public opinion. We throw our stuff out there and say "take it or leave it". Everyone thinks they can do it better but do nothing more than post their misguided opinions on RYM and MA in between Guitar Hero tournaments in their mom's basement.

JH

I think some people don't really try to just listen to the music either. They have to nit pick and nit pick until everything sounds horrible. I don't know why that happens, but it does. When you listen to something and try to find out what went wrong, generally, you will find something wrong and then something else and something else just because your mind is looking for little mistakes. If this guy was just listening for the music, then I'm sure that he would have enjoyed the DVD much more. Plus, I didn't think Joe was off much. There is one point that things got weird with everyone maybe, but who cares? It's live. The sound is great, the footage is great. Solid DVD!

This guy also seems to be one of the "stuck in the old days, and stick to your genre" type of guys.

I guess he's allowed to have his opinion.

Oh!

This is funny....

Live footage, promo videos and back stage/behind the scenes material. This DVD lacks the last and probably most crucial of the three, the unseen antics.

What the hell? Isn't it about the live music?

I agree 100% with this DVD review. We HATE the American fans, Joe sucks, Chris mixed his bass louder then the everything else because he's a conceited prick, he also doesn't really sing with me, all our videos suck, the fan made videos are pathetic and made by fags, and Eric is God.

All lies. You can all blow me. Especially you Eric, because I hate God as well.

By the way, the wacky backstage antics? They are THERE. LOOK FOR THE EASTER EGG!

(This message is filled with SARCASM in case you can't tell. And John, "Shitmouth" is pure gold my man!)

Let's address this all, shall we?

The review

Fans of Chicagos Novembers Doom have been waiting ages for them to release a DVD and they finally did. Usually when a band like ND releases a DVD its expected to have all of the following: Live footage, promo videos and back stage/behind the scenes material. This DVD lacks the last and probably most crucial of the three, the unseen antics.

Nope, it's there. Look for the Easter Egg. We like to be clever.

This is a pretty straight forward DVD. The production is good enough and the music is strong. The band has apparently decided to shun their American fans in favor of their European fans. For starters, the guitars are tight and heavy. They are practically flawless, if there are any complaints with them its that they are buried by the bass in a few places and that the lead on 'Silent Tomorrow' isn't played during the distorted chorus. Also when they play the faster more Death Metal oriented material they get a little sloppy, but this could easily be contributed to the very sub-par drumming.

We draw better in Europe. Can't help that really. Honestly, I never noticed the bass being too loud. It MAY happen during some softer sections, where Chris is playing harder. Being Live, that happens. Sub par drumming... Joe did a good job on this. Is it studio quality? Nope. It's not supposed to be. In the studio, Joe does it over and over until it's perfect. The DVD, he had ONE shot, and I think he did a good job.

The bass is pretty good with the only real complaint being that it is mixed louder in a few places. The drums are horrific and show that Joe is more of a studio drummer. His blasts are off time, sloppy and muddied. His hand work is alright but he doesn't play any of the faster material how it was played on the CD's. He throws the band out of time more than once but luckly they are able to compensate.

We we're never thrown out of time as far as I recall. It's possible, but again, it's live, and it's about reaction off of each other.

Pauls vocals are surprisingly brutal on this recording. His lows and mids are very threatening and much better than the two live bonus tracks on the re-release of 'To Welcome the Fade'.

Fuck yes they are. I RULE.

The songs that the band played are mostly new tracks from their last two CD's. They really could have put more songs on here from older releases, specifically albums two and three. There is nothing from their first album on here either. The band do play the older songs with a surprising amount of conviction and possibly slower than the original versions. This is not true for all of them however. The newer songs (from 'To Welcome the Fade' for example) are played a little faster.

This is tough. It's impossible to please everyone, when you have 6 CD's to choose a set from. We did try to play something off of everything, and we actually talked about doing an Amid song for it as well, it just didn't pan out this time. We did this set without a click, so yeah, the tempos are different. I think this goes for ANY band live not using a click track.

The bad aspects of this would be the vocals appear to be overdubed, or at least from the bass player. Paul did all the vocals on on their last two albums, yet when Chris sings back up on "Autum Reflection" he sounds exactly like Paul. His facial expressions indicate that his voice would come out strained and breathless yet his voice is clear and always on key with Pauls. Also, Chris's voice continues for a second or two even after he's pulled away from the mic and stopped moving his lips.

This is actually Chris singing. No overdubs of me singing his parts. What you hear is what you get. I know the exact scene where he sees Chris pull away from the mic, and in reality, he always does that. If you listen CLOSELY, you'll hear him cut out. He's low in the mix, so you mostly hear me anyway. ALSO, something people don't know, we had a BITCH of a time with one of the cameras going out of synch. The humidity in the club caused issues and we struggled to make it synch at times. There is the issue of pick up shots as well. The band ran through the set before the doors opened, to get more close up angles to film, and we used the live audio from the show, so some of the pick up shots (like extreme close ups of Joe behind the kit could be a touch out of synch.)

The biggest let down of all is the lack of older material. The second would be the over dubs but another would be the "fan made videos" that are in two words: COMPLETE SHIT! All of these were apparently done by people with little to no knowledge of video/editing equipment as they are all just still pictures of the band flashing from one to the next over the music. The one exception to this is "Dark World Burden" which features clips of the band (with former bass player Brian Whitehead) live. Two of these other videos are apparently from the same fan and are just pathethic.

Sorry, we can't please everyone with material. We try. And nope, no overdubs. Just synch issues.

OK, this is shitty man. No one said the fan videos were supposed to be pro. They are FAN MADE. I am proud of the fact fans do this for us, and I think they are a cool touch.

The promo videos are things you've either seen or have yet to see. Two songs from the 'PHD' and one from the new album. All but "Autumn Reflection" are very low budget and weak, not that much better than the fan films.

OK, so Pale Haunt and Rain are not the same budget as Autumn Reflection. So what? No everyone gets a budget like Behemoth. I wish we did, but truth is, every video you see from us, we pay for out of pocket, and I think they came out great. The "very low budget" looking Rain video has been picked up and deemed air worthy of MTV by the way...

This is a good DVD over all as the band is pretty good live. Its interesting to watch the guitarists play the songs from a technical standpoint at least as they use some really weird chords. Former guitarist and song writing genius Eric Burnley, really had a knack for writing unique music. Thankfully they play his songs faithfully. This is recommended for fans only.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the DVD, overall. haha

Mr. Burnley, the next time you decide to write a review, try not to suck your own pickle in it.

And I guess no one else should ever lay eyes on this abortion unless they are a fan. Sheesh.

If we've learned ANYTHING from this review, it's this...

Pauls vocals are surprisingly brutal on this recording. His lows and mids are very threatening and much better than the two live bonus tracks on the re-release of 'To Welcome the Fade'.

Fuck yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.