Any band suggestions for my current need in music?

L

Leif Hellmann

Hey everybody

I have been looking for a band with a sound that I cannot find. I want to find a band with quite slow, but massively crunchy metal riffs, and being quite down-tempo and rather dark sounding. I tried looking into some doom metal bands (never been familiar with this genre too much) but didn't find anything I was looking for

Another sound I have been searching has been a depressive, dark rock feel. I've heard a little bit of Katatonia and Anathema (both newer era) and I kinda felt their sound was what I wanted, but I don't know what albums to get. I really liked closer off A Natural Disaster and my twin off Great Cold distance. are those albums recommend by other fans?

any suggestions?

I'd recommend Swallow the Sun. They're rather melodic and not too down tempo.

From Katatonia I'd get Brave Murder Day, which features one Mikael Åkerfeldt. If you want a more cleaner and wider approach - in terms of both vocals and overall sound - I'd go for Viva Emptiness. Those albums epitomize Katatonia's old and new sound. If you like their cleaner and softer, however, by no means less dark, approach, go for their newer albums. If you like Brave Murder Day's unpolished and metallic sound, go for the older albums.

Ajattara. They play some sort of midtempo, dark metal. The last two albums are quite horrible so I'd suggest you go for the first three.
Blut Aus Nord. I haven't personally heard that much but Odinist is quite an enjoyable album. Mid-tempo funeral doom, though it has quite a lot of "fast" doublebass work.

That's all i can come up with at the moment.

Katatonia get Viva Emptiness first for heavier sound, and if you like that check out Last Fair Deal Gone Down for their more melodic side.

My personal favorite Anathema cd is A Fine Day to Exit although it's less metal than maybe what you were looking for.

You might also want to check out Novembre's Materia, and The Blue.

I'd second Swallow the Sun.
Try Dark Sun's first album, Swanlike. Amazing melodic doom/death metal.
Try an album called Deceptive Awarenss by a band called Ablaze in Hatred. Quite similar to Swallow the Sun, but a bit heavier and less melodic.

Katatonia's best album is obviously Discouraged Ones...perfectly fits the description of what you're looking for, I think.

Everything with both Katatonia and Anathema is great. For Katatonia go with Brave Murder Day for growls and Last Fair Deal Gone Down for clean vocs. Anathema's best work IMO is Judgement and Alternative 4. Daylight Dies, Mourning Beloveth and Rapture could be good Doom/Death recommendations.

I'd recommend pretty much anything by Agalloch, though more specifically I'd try out the 'The Mantle' album. If you end up liking Agalloch (that is if you you haven't anything by them before) and you like Katatonia's 'Brave Murder Day' that people above have all ready mentioned, then I highly recommend 'The Wind, The Trees And The Shadows Of The Past' by The Morningside.