Any Bethlehem fans?/Review...

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
I just got their newest CD, the limited double CD edition the other day (how's that for great grammar!:lol: )

It is one of the strangest and most disturbing albums I've ever heard. ALmost all of the songs are very slow, with dark melodies using a riffing style similar to the single note melodies in Morningrise. There are 66 tracks on the first CD, many of which are radio noise of someone switching stations, or a s background noise at certain points, and sometimes with voices speaking over it.
To top it off, it's a concept album, about a guy who can't identify with himself, and shelters himself from the world, getting in touch with his past, and distancing himself from his sanity. As he grows insane, the only thing that accompanies him is a radio broadcast...Very scary stuff. When I listen to it, I almost feel like it's happening to me.

Musically, it's more a cross between New Ulver and Old Katatonia, than anything else I can think of, although there seem to be a few Morningrise style riffs.

Has anyone else checked out this album?? It's defintiely a grower, and definitely an interesting musical/aural experience. I reccomend it to fans of the avant-garde.

Oh, and the sickening painful cries of their older singers are gone.....It's much more normal on this album (too bad...:cry: )

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
I just got their newest CD, the limited double CD edition the other day (how's that for great grammar!:lol: )

It is one of the strangest and most disturbing albums I've ever heard. ALmost all of the songs are very slow, with dark melodies using a riffing style similar to the single note melodies in Morningrise. There are 66 tracks on the first CD, many of which are radio noise of someone switching stations, or a s background noise at certain points, and sometimes with voices speaking over it.
To top it off, it's a concept album, about a guy who can't identify with himself, and shelters himself from the world, getting in touch with his past, and distancing himself from his sanity. As he grows insane, the only thing that accompanies him is a radio broadcast...Very scary stuff. When I listen to it, I almost feel like it's happening to me.

Musically, it's more a cross between New Ulver and Old Katatonia, than anything else I can think of, although there seem to be a few Morningrise style riffs.

Has anyone else checked out this album?? It's defintiely a grower, and definitely an interesting musical/aural experience. I reccomend it to fans of the avant-garde.

Oh, and the sickening painful cries of their older singers are gone.....It's much more normal on this album (too bad...:cry: )

Sounds interesting dude. where could I possibly pick this up to .I'm relaly into the whole weird music type thing . I've been creating shit with a couple vocalists from here with alot of sound effects and weird screams . it's awesome ..

Till do you still have ICQ , if you do , look me up man

I like Bethlehem a lot though i haven't heard the last album yet. My favorite has to be Dictius Te Necare, i love the vocals.. everytime i listen to that album i get chills down my spine...

uhm, i'm a little confused about the vocals, did Rainer Landfermann do the vocals in Deinonychus and Marco Kehren (Deinonychus) the vocals in a Bethlehem album? :confused: i'm starting to think i made that up...

edit: i didn't make that up :)
Marco Kehren handles the vocals from S.U.IZ.I.D. til now
but i still don't know about Landfermann...

Actually, Marco is no longer with the band; Guido Meyer de Voltaire sings on Schatten Aus Der Alexander Welt.

Anyway, the radio play sounds compelling though I can't understand a word of it, as it were. (What Mr. Fjälls failed to mention--for those that don't know--is that the concept is explained only in the liner notes. The lyrics are German.) And yes, the guitar tone somewhat reminded me of Morningrise