Any country artists worth listening to?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to learn more about and get into listening to some country music for quite a while; do you know which bands-artists are worth listening to, that you could recommend?

I've been wanting to listen to more of it basically since I saw the movie 'Crazy Heart' a couple years ago haha
For some reason I had this (TV-induced?) cliche idea that the genre had some kind of ''uneducated-redneck-ish'' thing to it, but from having watched the movie, it seemed to me like the music/lyrics have some interesting depth to it..
I've been curious to learn if there's truth to the negative stereotype, or maybe instead to the way the genre is portrayed in the movie?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Not country, but related (bluegrass).

I stumbled upon Dan Crary by accident and was so amazed and enthralled by his playing that I immediately bought the Lady's Fancy-album. I really enjoy his playing a lot. The title song absolutely blew me away, some of the chord and note choices in the intro actually remind me of Bathory for some reason (I think the intro is his composition even though the actual song is traditional)...

Forgive me if it's not what you're looking for! :lol:

Deep lyrics.. well, he says that on his wife's birthday he bought her a potato pealer, was drunk and that all she wants is to play bingo. lol I actually like this guy..

Last edited:
Forgive me if it's not what you're looking for! :lol:
That's ok, thanks for the suggestion! That's a bit too chirpy in comparison I guess, though always nice to hear someone with guitar chops (not so much with a comb though, apparently)

i am sure there is a lot to be learned from country for metal guys
I thought something similar when looking at the movie; for some odd reason, that character seemed more metal/rock/whatever to me than lots of the newer stuff out there representing the genre nowadays haha

Just imo, of course

Maybe some Neil Young?

Stills, Nash and Cosby too:

Last edited:
Little Big Town are really good, some of the stuff reminds me of Fleetwood Mac.
Crazy good vocal harmonies.

This one's more in Toto ballpark

I also struggle with modern full on "pop" country. The closest thing I can recommend are Gillian Welch (more Americana/ folky i'd say), Iron & Wine and Lucette. Been bumping all three of them a ton lately. Gillian just pulls on my damn heart strings. And her guitar player is in-fucking-credible.

Reactions: ~BURNY~