Any love for Old Man's Child?

Originally Posted by A.A.
I have some other plans alright, a band with KK from Destroyer 666, sorta epic metal.

JayKeeley said:
I'll second J's recommendation of Dawn. "Slaughtersun" will knock your socks off. Not a Dissection clone by any means, but playing in the same capacity. Although "Slaughtersun" wasn't released until 1998, both Dissection and Dawn started out in the early 90's so you can call them peers.
I've listened to "Slaughtersun" a few times, and I've never made it through. I haven't writtten it off yet. But so far, no go.

Zod

They have an autograph session in the early part of the afternoon, for almost 1 full hour I believe; I don't think there will be enough people there to need 1 full hour of autographs, lol, which ought to leave plenty of time for "fanboy" behavior.

Just remember, if you & JayK get out of hand, I will have to send you home.

General Zod said:
I've listened to "Slaughtersun" a few times, and I've never made it through. I haven't writtten it off yet. But so far, no go.

Zod

Listen to the non-"Slaughtersun" tracks on the 2nd cd of the release (not the pure death metal tracks at the end of cd 1, but the entire 2nd cd). Those songs are much more progressive sounding to these ears - a magical black metal journey.

So I've finally given this album a couple of spins. Great, great production. Razor-sharp riffs and some good chunky thrashing, no doubt. But there is some blatant ripoffery going on, and really, at the end of the day? This is very forgettable music. I liken it to chicken McNuggets.

6/10, and I'm being generous b/c the album is definitely played very well.

MadeInNewJersey said:
So I've finally given this album a couple of spins. Great, great production. Razor-sharp riffs and some good chunky thrashing, no doubt.
Exactly what I enjoy about it.

MadeInNewJersey said:
But there is some blatant ripoffery going on, and really, at the end of the day? This is very forgettable music. I liken it to chicken McNuggets.
I thought we were done with food analogies?

MadeInNewJersey said:
6/10, and I'm being generous b/c the album is definitely played very well.
Fair enough. Now, imagine you only owned a dozen quasi-Black Metal CDs, almost all of which were recorded in the last few years. What rating would it get then?

Zod

Good question. It's hard for me to say, because I don't only own a dozen of those sorts of records, but I'd probably have thought it was pretty darned good. Maybe in the 8/10 range? I'm not sure how memorable it would be even if I wasn't all that familiar with the style, but the music is well-crafted enough to the point where I'd most likely enjoy it.

Did that convoluted explanation make any sense, lol?

Zod, you'd really dig the latest Dragonlord album, btw, and I'll reiterate that I'm pretty sure you'd love the latest Graveworm as well. You might want to look into recent Rotting Christ also; kind of polished black metal with a beat, for lack of a more accurate means of describing them.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Maybe in the 8/10 range? I'm not sure how memorable it would be even if I wasn't all that familiar with the style...
That's probably what I'd give it. I really like the style. It almost feels like dark Power Metal, ala older Evergrey, taken to an extreme, with an awesome production. However, as you correctly stated, the songs aren't exceptionally memorable.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Zod, you'd really dig the latest Dragonlord album...
Queuing it up on my iPod now (damn I love this thing! the MP3 player is an even greater invention, than dare I say it? sliced bread!).

MadeInNewJersey said:
...btw, and I'll reiterate that I'm pretty sure you'd love the latest Graveworm as well. You might want to look into recent Rotting Christ also; kind of polished black metal with a beat, for lack of a more accurate means of describing them.
Cool. I'll try to hunt some of that stuff down. Keep in mind, I think what I really have a taste for, isn't just "polished" Black Metal, "polished" Black Metal cross-bred with Power Metal. Within the "extreme" metal genre, what I like seems to have no rhyme or reason. I do also love the very atmospheric stuff, that has a lot of tempo changes. I can't tollerate a CD's worth of blastbeats.

Zod

General Zod said:
Cool. I'll try to hunt some of that stuff down. Keep in mind, I think what I really have a taste for, isn't just "polished" Black Metal, "polished" Black Metal cross-bred with Power Metal. Within the "extreme" metal genre, what I like seems to have no rhyme or reason. I do also love the very atmospheric stuff, that has a lot of tempo changes. I can't tollerate a CD's worth of blastbeats.

Zod

I hear ya, I think I have a decent handle on your tastes right now, so these recommendations are with that in mind. Once I finish absorbing 2005, I'll be going through lots of records (to determine keep-or-sell status) and I'll be happy to make more recommendations. I KNOW I have a ton of stuff that you'd be into.

You want me to [cough] make either Graveworm or Rotting Christ available later on? [/cough]