Any modern rock guys in here?

I dunno, "Spiritual Black Dimensions" era Dimmu is pretty adventurous... Not a whole lot of music with that kind of sound has ever really been released, and definitely not as good. As far as creativity and musicianship it slays most rock acts.

I don't give a crap about creativity or originality, I just fucking love all Dimmu! :headbang:

Despite not listening to too much metal,I'd love to record metal, because it is really a challenge to me, but metal bands around here are crap. I recorded 3 in the last 2 years, and one had a great song but the musicians were really bad, while the other two were just plain bad.

I am more of a rock guy, and the biggest challenge is making the vocals pro-sounding (and trying to fit the clients 'alternative' ideas into one organized thing).

Anyway, i almost never record rock, mostly brazilian music. I hate that but that's what pays my bills.

Most of the work I've done the last couple of years have been rock and stoner-rock, but I wouldn't say it's easier to mix rock than metal. There's different challenges to rock and metal. Metal is without a doubt harder to pull off technically, since everything have to be supertight etc, but rock music demands that you really know what you do when it comes to mic'ing drums. On most types of metal you can just sample replace a bad snare or kick sound and pretty much get away with it, and while I often use samples on rock songs as well, you have to be real careful not to lose the human feel.
Both types of music is a blast to produce though!

Without ever really seriously dealing with anything but metal, I think you could almost consider metal to demand a more scientific approach, and rock and other forms of music more a more artistic approach. I'm not saying there isn't any art in metal by any means, just that with most forms of metal you have specific restraints to work within. Almost everything has to be up front at the same time. With rock it seems like you have more room to experiment with textures and different ideas without having the final result sounding "wrong".

LOL
I´m playing and recording two bands, a metal one and a modern rock one. I find that it doesnt really depends on the style but on the bands and their aims.
Maybe the metal band wants a natural sound :Smug: and the modern rock one wants to sound that way: modern, so you can tweak n experiment till you sound supernatural.:headbang:
I like the metal approach for rock bands if they´re hard enough btw

I'm not really into metal... I used to like it more when I was in high school. I still think this is one of the best recording forums, regardless of what music you are into. Thanks for all the great cab impulses, etc.

Mark