Any "New wave of American Heavy Metal" bands I should check out?

Bass Fellow said:
Mastodon, Trivium, bloodsimple and there's a band I've only heard one song from called High on Wire...I think... the song is called "Deviloution". Good stuff Maynard! Also, Darkest Hour and Devildriver.:cool:

Actually, it's High on Fire.
I would have to say the singer to High on Fire's last band "Sleep" is MUCH MUCH better. Oh and like Arg said "Get all the Haunted albums" because there is not a bad one in the bunch:Spin:

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
Actually, it's High on Fire.
I would have to say the singer to High on Fire's last band "Sleep" is MUCH MUCH better. Oh and like Arg said "Get all the Haunted albums" because there is not a bad one in the bunch:Spin:

I'm hip now to the name and yeah The Haunted is one that should have been on the list.:cool: Just heard a song the other day that I had to ask myself "Why in the fuck didn't this register before?".

damon505 said:
dont forget Biohazard..especially their earlier stuff

Ahhhh, Biohazard. What happened these guys? I was listening to Urban discipline today and by fuck this is a great fucking album. So anyway i thought i'd check up on their latest releases as i seemed to lose track of them after Mata Leo (exceptionally piss poor effort). I read a few reviews and everyone mentioned that they now posess a very 'New metal' sound, is this true? did they sell out or what happened? It would be a real shame if they did cause i re-iterate that Urban Discipline is a killer album in my opinion.

A couple Canadian entries, both with debut albums out within the past year:

Three Inches of Blood (they sound like Judas Priest on steroids, the music itslef is cool, but the lyrics have a little too much Dungeons and Dragons imagery, which gets a little too nerdy after a while, even for me :D ) You can download the song "Deadly Sinners" for free at http://www.3inchesofblood.com/

Damn 13 (more of a hard rock style of metal, but there is an old school feel to some of their songs; the album doesn't do them as much justice as their live performance, they did a great job opening for Motorhead) You can check out tunes off their album at http://www.damn13.com/Flashplayer/

I got a promo DVD to review the other day that had a God Forbid track on it, and I was actually very impressed.
So Impressed I may just check them out.

Though many of these metalcore bands suck ass, there are a few that kick ass and will be remembered down the road as bearers of the metal flag. One thing I have to respect about these bands are that they are socially conscious and tend to write lyrics that anyone could relate too, rather than having lame ass dungeon and dragons lyrics and singing about dumb shit that bands liker Manowar sing about. Face it, these bands are metal. Check out Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Unearth, Mastadon, Dillinger Escape Plan, The Haunted, Trivium, Chimaira, All That Remains, Hatebreed, Black Dahlia Murder, Cephalic Carnage, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, In Flames, etc. Before old grandpa metal heads who still live in their mommas basements, have mullets and beer guts, and think that their 81 camaro is rad start barking 'fuck metalcore' may I point out that many of these bands are just 'metal' pure and simple. If you disagree come talk to me in 10 years and will see what bands are considered classics.

I think Trivium is ok, but I HATE how everyone compares them to Death. There will NEVER be another Chuck, get over it people.

And I hate that whiney emo shit chorus thing they do - but they do have some sick riffs.