Any Porcupine Tree fans?

DiscoDave

Philosopher-Warrior
Jun 2, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've only listened to Deadwing a couple times, but I really dig it so far. :wave:

It does feel pretty similar to In Absentia, but that works for me because I thought In Absentia was superb. ;)

And there are definitely still classic PT moments scattered around the heavier stuff.

Oh, by the way...could someone please fill me on why bands seperate a bonus track from the rest of the cd with several minutes of silence? It's done so commonly, there must be SOME motive there, aside from the obvious one of annoying DiscoDave. =(

I saw them in concert a year or two ago. Eh. It was okay, but I don't think the music really translates well live, and the band didn't really seem happy to be playing.

Suffice to say, it wasn't half the show Enchant is.

Just my own opinion though, I'm sure there's no shortage of people (on this board, even) that disagree.

well obviously you can be sure there will be niether slammers nor pogo a PT's gig. However once it started you're in it ! Either you're caught by the music itself or by Steven Wilson itself ok the man doesn't really move on stage but he has such a charisma IMO

They are the most frustrating band to me. I have tried numerous times to get into them, but simply don't dig them. I have both Sideways and Stupid Dream, and I have heard all of Abstenia, but it just aint my thing.

DiscoDave said:
I saw them in concert a year or two ago. Eh. It was okay, but I don't think the music really translates well live, and the band didn't really seem happy to be playing.

Suffice to say, it wasn't half the show Enchant is.

Just my own opinion though, I'm sure there's no shortage of people (on this board, even) that disagree.

I disagree. ;)
On the In Absentia-tour, I was blown away by the performance, especially with the video screen they used during the show. It added very nicely to the atmosphere of the songs. One example below.
Saw them again last week. It was very good again. Great sound, btw. Oh, and I think the music really translates very well on stage.

Watching Steven Wilson on stage is absolutely impressive. This small guy is so full of energy. Not as 'personal' as Enchant, more reserved. But his 'cryptic' hand movements are worth the price alone. ;)

Oh, and PT seems to become more and more popular here. They play bigger venues than on the last tour. It was a very mixed crowd.

PT3.jpg

There was no video with the show I caught, and I wouldn't at all say he was full of energy.

Maybe I just caught him on a bad night...they're coming back to Seattle in June, and I'll definitely be checking it out.

"Deadwing" is AMAZING!!!!!!! I can't stop listening to it... album of the year for me... and my favorite PT album ever. It is a work of art. PT is also one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Well I went to see Porcupine Tree in Paris last april 30th. One word : Killer

Anathema did great job openning for them
PT was great especially Gavin Harrison man what a drummer you have here :OMG:

DSC01762.JPG

listened to Deadwing like 4 times now and it still hasn't grabbed me. there's not enough of the nice pop melodies that Wilson is famous for (shesmovedon, trains, etc) and most songs i just don't like. still like In Absentia better.

Slipperman said:
listened to Deadwing like 4 times now and it still hasn't grabbed me. there's not enough of the nice pop melodies that Wilson is famous for (shesmovedon, trains, etc) and most songs i just don't like. still like In Absentia better.
Already listened to the Blackfield album? If you're more into Steven's poppy side, than this is the CD for you! Very beautiful and catchy melodies!

greetz,
Heiko

btw: I really love Deadwing! :)

brotMachine said:
Already listened to the Blackfield album? If you're more into Steven's poppy side, than this is the CD for you! Very beautiful and catchy melodies!

greetz,
Heiko

btw: I really love Deadwing! :)

i like some of the other stuff too but as far as ballads go, track 3 is more schmaltzy to me than anything else he's done. as far as the other stuff, i think both the title track and Arriving are OK but go on way too long. both would have been fine if shortened to about half the length.
right now tracks 6 and 8 are my favorites.

Saw Porcupine Tree last night, as always they put on an excellent show, performing the first six tracks from Deadwing (which I have been playing to death, and it rivals Signify and Stupid Dream as their best record IMO) and lots of other great tunes. And I agree about Gavin, watching him take complete control of Hatesong was amazing.

Demonspell said:
Saw Porcupine Tree last night, as always they put on an excellent show, performing the first six tracks from Deadwing (which I have been playing to death, and it rivals Signify and Stupid Dream as their best record IMO) and lots of other great tunes. And I agree about Gavin, watching him take complete control of Hatesong was amazing.

No "Start Of Something Beautiful"? Aw shucks. :(

Just saw them LAST NIGHT in Philly.....they were even better than I thought they'd be!! They played for 1 h 40 m and they were absolutely wonderful...the venue was very cool and had nice acoustics, and their sound was superb - we were standing right behind the sound board and had a perfect, elevated view of the entire stage all night. They opened with Deadwing and went on to play about 3/4 of the tracks from Deadwing, which is good for me as I am only familiar, really, with Deadwing and In Absentia! I was very pleasantly suprised to see (and hear!!) John Wesley - I had no clue he was with them! The musicality and the harmonies were simply wonderful...I really, really enjoyed it! The last song, Trains, was breathtakingly beautiful, with Wilson on acoustic and Wesley handling the solos...magnificent stuff!!! The 400+ crowd loved every minute!

Deadwing will definitely be in my top 5 at the end of the year....but right now, I have to say it is #2 behind the incredible Frameshift - Absence of Empathy. Henning Pauly is quite the unimposing mastermind and he has created another masterpiece!! I know I'll never get to see THAT live, which is unfortunate!!! A killer show would be "A Night with Frameshift - with a back to back performance of Unweaving the Rainbow and Absence of Empathy!!

Porcupine Tree is the UK's answer to Collective Soul.

They are heavily riff oriented, and when the riffs are great, THEY'RE great. I love about the first 5 tracks of DeadWing. The Scratching of the Mellotron makes me want to poke my eardrums out though. I'll be seeing them the week after CalProg. So I like them alot, just in case you were thinking otherwise.

@Mare: I felt a bit disappointed when first heard new's Frameshift, I loved the first one with La Brie at vocals, but this new one seemed different, less fresh, less imaginative.

Besides, I love Skid Row's "Slave To The Ground", but Sebastian Bach on his own makes his voice sound less clear... somehow dirtier and I found it hard to apply to this new Frameshift album. Maybe it just needs some spinning before getting used to it, but I remember the first contact with Frameshift and that was touching.

Which one do you prefer?

Regarding Collective Soul, I saw them once in a video where they were playing in the streets, in a can't-remember-the-name arabic city. I liked that, but I tried something else from their beginnings and didn't reach me at all. Any suggestions?

|ng.