Any pro sounding mix with Zombass or any other bass VSTi?

indecizo

Jun 11, 2011
I've only heard like only two or three with zombass 2 on this board that sound retarded good. Unfortunately the clips are down, even the zombass thread has many links with mixes but they are all down.

The only mix that sounds stupidly good with that library that's still up is this one I found on the "any good totally itb productions" thread by member johngalloway
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9992828/Random Shit/Entry VIII - Heartless.mp3
zombass 2

So, any of you done a good mix with programmed bass that sounds pro like this or heard another user that uses it and sounds good?

Please post clips.

Your link went 404 too!

fixed

Well... My mix in my signature is Zombass 3, haha. Don't consider it really "pro" though. This mix is also Zombass 3:

https://soundcloud.com/daybreakstudioswe/i-am-singularity-dream-scales

not bad at all!

The bass in the new Born of Osiris is probably real but sounds like Zombass hahah. Although I don't think it sounds very pleasing to the ears, tbh.

I think it's real but it's too edited and trebly so yeah it sounds kinda programmed

New BOO is UAD Nigel! Apparently.

A lot of Rise Records bands use the same producer, who uses Zombass a lot, so they are commercial mixes, sometimes works sometimes not.

New BOO is UAD Nigel! Apparently.

A lot of Rise Records bands use the same producer, who uses Zombass a lot, so they are commercial mixes, sometimes works sometimes not.

Are you referring to (dun dun dun) Sturgis? I'm pretty sure he doesn't use Zombass. Like, I'm positive he doesn't.

Zombass is just a bass DI. If you can process bass really well, you can process Zombass really well. It's not really a matter of if it's "holding you back" or not. Get a real bass if it's a big deal and pair it with a Sansamp RBI

Are you referring to (dun dun dun) Sturgis? I'm pretty sure he doesn't use Zombass. Like, I'm positive he doesn't.

Zombass is just a bass DI. If you can process bass really well, you can process Zombass really well. It's not really a matter of if it's "holding you back" or not. Get a real bass if it's a big deal and pair it with a Sansamp RBI

Atleast Attila's Party with the devil single sounded really programmed on the bass department. Or then it might be a blend of zombass and the real bass.

Somehow I very, very strongly disbelieve any major releases have programmed bass. Edited and processed to hell and back, programmed, nope.

Was Chango, Cameron M. actually haha. Joey seems to be doing a fair few Sumerian, Fearless bands these days.

Somehow I very, very strongly disbelieve any major releases have programmed bass. Edited and processed to hell and back, programmed, nope.

I haven't been informed about productions these days, but I'm pretty sure that there are some commercial releases with midi bass in there, I know that Sturgis has used Trilian, maybe David Bendeth too, I don't remember well, but I'm sure there are programmed basses arround.

I understand drum VSTis - they simplify a complicated task of micing up a kit, much cheaper than the hardware, and enable bedroom wonders to have a decent drum track.

But bass VSTis? Really? Isn't it easier to play a bass line than to try and sequence the MIDI for it? Where is the value in these?

I understand drum VSTis - they simplify a complicated task of micing up a kit, much cheaper than the hardware, and enable bedroom wonders to have a decent drum track.

But bass VSTis? Really? Isn't it easier to play a bass line than to try and sequence the MIDI for it? Where is the value in these?

bass vsti and drum vsti are not different

i'm no professional but i do have some experience and can write a whole rock song, even some metal songs with veloticy changes in a few minutes. recording a real bass i'd have to make sure the takes are perfect so it's most likely to take more time get the "perfect take" for each part while in midi your perfect take is a few clicks, just like programmed and real drums. imagine recording a fast metal and progressive song and get all the takes perfect, i can just midi that shit in less than an hour (been there)

the thing i like the most about virtual basses is that you can have a lot of bass sounds at your disposal, while compared to having a real bass, well, it's just one bass and in my situation it's really difficult to get some nice basses here and obviously don't have the money to get the basses that I like. Also you don't have to tune. I haven't found THE (real) bass that works with everything so it's just a pain in the ass. the basses that i like how they sound are usually very expensive and the people that i know with nice basses won't lend me theirs, and i'm not fucking rich to go arround buying a lot of basses so...

the problem with vsti is when i midi some really fast stuff (metal) the low end sounds kinda lost, but with softer stuff it sounds very nice and it's easier to handle (i have trilian).

in my opinion a nice bass vsti is 100x better than recording with a cheap bass sound wise, i know this isn't a popular opinion on this forum but...it's just an opinion. I don't see how a virtual bass can be sonically inferior to the real deal, check the link in the op that shit's tight. If it's well programmed nobody is going to tell if it was recorded or not...unlike drum vst (which CAN sound real with some time and skill)

Also I should have added the words "in metal" on the title of the thread...

I'm not sure about the final mix of the album, but I'm pretty sure Zombass 2 was used on the new Sworn In.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ The guy who mixed them started a thread with one of their songs and said the bass was all zombass 2. I'm not sure either if the final mix is zombass. Too bad the link in that thread is down, it sounded freaking cool.