Anyone besides me thinks that GR is the best Opeth album?

sorry to stray a bit but.
does anyone else love the soldier of fortune cover as much as i do.

^^ I loved the Soldier of Fortune cover :Smokin: It only made me appreciate the mellotron more...

Got stuck in my truck for a while with GR played it over and over. Instead of getting sick of it, it stuck in my head big time. But in a good way. I heard all the technical expertise, ambient sound, harmony, the drums. My God, the drums! Didn't know a human could perfect the drums like that. So GR is #1 for me right now.

Soldier of Fortune is a fantastic cover btw.:cool:

GR is decent but not up to par with the Opeth classics (SL, Morningrise, MAYH, Blackwater Park).

Sorry bud youre just new to opeth. After you listen to them a bit more you will probably realise the superiority of mayh, sl and bwp

I've been a fan of Opeth for years and Ghost Reveries is my favourite album.
I know its just my opinion but I was so impressed by the fact that the band's 8th album was their best.

Still love listening to the album, and it still feels just as fresh as Watershed does, despite the fact that its several years older.

Absolutely love all the subtle pieces and the fact that all parts of the album just gel. No one instrument or part is more important than the other. Kinda reminds me of Tool in that respect, everything just fits together as one piece, rather than a bunch of different instruments.

Absolutely love the pacing, the songwriting, and Lopez's beats too.

I don't know, Ghost Reveries is a very solid album, but I don't know whether I could call it a favourite. And 'The Grand Conjuration' really doesn't do anything for me. I will stick to my Still Life worship :worship:

Sorry bud youre just new to opeth. After you listen to them a bit more you will probably realise the superiority of mayh, sl and bwp

believe me, I've been fan for a while, I've listened all their albums many many times, except for orchid maybe...
by the way, has Mikael said something about what he thinks is their best album?, I think he said watershed,no?

believe me, I've been fan for a while, I've listened all their albums many many times, except for orchid maybe...
by the way, has Mikael said something about what he thinks is their best album?, I think he said watershed,no?

The relation an artist has to his music is different from the regular listener's. He has all the moments and memories of coming up with riffs and how he put them together and what the atmosphere was like, all that interfering with being able to objectively review his stuff

Well, GR is my favorite albulm from Opeth. I like all the songs on it equally, and on each other Opeth albulm, there's always ONE song I find kinda boring or just not fitting. (but not bad). Also, in my opinion, it has the best concept, best artwork, is the "evilest" sounding one, has the best song progressions, has the best songs in general, and none of the songs seem like wasted times, they're all pretty long and filled to the rim with fast complex parts. (cant say the same for Watershed). It was also the first Opeth albulm I had ever heard. Also, It has the best keyboard compositions. (Watershed lacked them alot).

Production wise though, Blackwater Park was my favorite. I know Steven Wilsons writing and producing, and he always adds tons of little guitar effects and vocal effects and just a bunch of tiny little things that you dont notice at first, but makes it sound amazing. I honestly think he would have made Watershed alot better, it seemed like the current producer gave it his all for GR, and didnt really add anything new for WS.

Still Life is probably my 3rd favorite, because I was addicted to it for the longest period. Besides the songs The Drapery Falls and Ghost of Perdition, Still Life has the most epic tracks I think, the best solos, and its cool because it has a sound that sounds more fantasy/tragedy than the newer ones.

The relation an artist has to his music is different from the regular listener's. He has all the moments and memories of coming up with riffs and how he put them together and what the atmosphere was like, all that interfering with being able to objectively review his stuff

I almost agree with everything you said... It's just time ago I saw somewhere Mikael talking about their most "complete" album or something like that...

Ghost Reveries is my favorite album because I think all 5 metal tracks are just badass and awesome in every way possible. But I find myself skipping the mellow tracks A LOT when listening to it. Only reason my favorite album overall is still Lateralus instead of Ghost Reveries, cuz I listen to every song every time and every one is just amazing.

GR is not my favorite all around opeth album. But hours of wealth and ghost of perdition are about as tasty as any opeth song. good lord those 2 tracks own hard

Ghost Reveries is my favorite album because I think all 5 metal tracks are just badass and awesome in every way possible. But I find myself skipping the mellow tracks A LOT when listening to it. Only reason my favorite album overall is still Lateralus instead of Ghost Reveries, cuz I listen to every song every time and every one is just amazing.

wut?

"Atonement" and "Hours of Wealth" are pure genius. I can understand skipping "Isolation Years" (it's kinda boring), but "Hours of Wealth"?! :loco:

I agree they're fantastic songs, but when you're as fired up as I get with the absolutely epic ending of Beneath the Mire...the track switch to Atonement is a bit of a letdown. Similar feelings with Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years. I think they're good songs, they just aren't the reason I listen to Ghost Reveries, that reason being that it has five of my favorite metal songs I've ever heard.