Anyone besides me thinks that GR is the best Opeth album?

Ghost Reveries is fucking amazing, and easily a recognizable piece of history simply because this cd I still think even compared to everything else till this day, this cd simply put is still unlike anything I've ever heard.

Amazing in every way, although not my favorite by them... It doesn't matter that much that it isn't my favorite.

Ghost Reveries is great.

^ Yeah, alongside Watershed I belive it's their best album in terms of songwriting, the dynamics are amazing, so is the production and all in all the atmosphere is so delicate and fantastic. Also, some of the more psychedelic stuff works as well.

GR is a phenomenal album, no doubt about that. But, I don 't think it stands up to SL, MAYH, Deliverance or BWP. I really think a major factor in this is when you started listening to them. The albums that made you fall in love with a band tend to stick with you, IMO.

GR is a phenomenal album, no doubt about that. But, I don 't think it stands up to SL, MAYH, Deliverance or BWP. I really think a major factor in this is when you started listening to them. The albums that made you fall in love with a band tend to stick with you, IMO.

True. Though this is not true in my case, as I begun with Deliverance and I still think it's one of their weakest ones.

I began with Blackwater Park and now I listen to every album but Orchid and Morningrise more (as a whole, The Funeral Portrait is still one of the most played on my iPod)

A lot of ppl seem to love the drums. I too love the beats, but I feel the drumproduction sounds less real than some albums with 100% sampled drums on them, which kinda pisses me off.

wut?

"Atonement" and "Hours of Wealth" are pure genius. I can understand skipping "Isolation Years" (it's kinda boring), but "Hours of Wealth"?! :loco:

Hell ya, those two songs are awesome. Atonement is one of my favorite Opeth songs period. It fits nice between the heavier/harsher songs and Hours of Wealth got a slow, depressing vibe I like.

I started with GR but it's not even in my top 3--Still Life, MAYH, and BWP are easily my favorites. Less proggy Opeth = better imo. That said, there's not a single Opeth album I don't love, including GR.

I agree they're fantastic songs, but when you're as fired up as I get with the absolutely epic ending of Beneath the Mire...the track switch to Atonement is a bit of a letdown. Similar feelings with Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years.

I think the album flows really well from the metal tracks into the soft tracks, and from the soft tracks back into the metal tracks.

The intro to "The Grand Conjuration" wouldn't be nearly as badass without "Hours of Wealth" playing before it.

i can't tell you how long GR was my favorite album. It then switched to BWP for a long time, now I'm favoring Deliverance. Don't know how long that'll last. I do enjoy MAYH and Watershed though, i can never know which direction I will go towards favorites.

GR is an awesome album. Great music, great lyrics and a beautiful concept. I asked myself many times what is my favorite Opeth album and you know what my answer was ? It was "????????". I love each and every Opeth album so I couldn't decide and I think that I'll never will.

Ghost Reveries has become my 2nd favourite album after many-many listens, outlasting bwp, which has been my 2nd fav for about a year now. But imHo Still Life is their favourite, being the 1st album of theirs i've ever listened to and kinda telling the story of my life

^ You've been seared, beaten, banished from ur town, then hanged for slaying cross council soldiers? ;o

I think GR along with Still Life are their best albums and seems that ain't too original opinion.

I think GR along with Still Life are their best albums and seems that ain't too original opinion.

The Ghost Reveries love is somewhat recent on this board. When I first joined the album was shat on all the time here, and I was somewhat surprised because most other music boards I go to received the album warmly from the start.

I'd say my favorite is Still Life, followed closely by Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries. My favorite Opeth track ever, though, is from Ghost Reveries - The Baying of the Hounds