Anyone else here see Rush in Atlanta?

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
Just wondering if anyone else saw 'em at the new VZW amphitheater up in Alpharetta and survived the Great Wind and Flood of '08. :yow:

The show itself was great, although once again I'd have preferred a couple more older classics and a couple fewer songs from the new CD.

Glenn pointed out after the Eagles' shows there that the venue has a parking problem...and it does, if you have to park in the shuttle lots. (I never saw either the lot or the shuttles, since my ticket said to park in Lot A, which is one of the two close-in lots. Whew!)

But.......they also have a flooding problem. :ill:

For those who are familiar with amphitheaters here in ATL, the new Verizon Wireless amphitheater is a lot like Lakewood Amphitheater, but scaled down by about one-third. UNLIKE Lakewood, however, this place has a higher roof over the covered seats, and no walls whatsoever on either side.

About an hour before showtime, the site was hit by a VERY windy severe thunderstorm. The "covered seats" section might as well have been outside, as wind-driven rain blew right through it. (The mixing board is right in the middle, and might as well have been outside in the parking lot.) A lot of water ended up on the concrete amongst the seats...and due to the downslope, it all ran down the aisles and starting piling up on the concrete walkway midway back on the floor...which is where my friend and I had decided to try and take shelter from the 60 mph winds buffeting the venue. There are no drains there, and at one point the water was rising about a half-inch per minute. WE bugged out and made for higher ground. :)

I think they honestly didn't plan for having rain blowing into the covered seating section, and it will certainly happen again, especially the way the place is designed, with a very high ceiling -- laughably, it has ceiling fans spinning -- and no side walls.

Other things about the show.....

The big screens really helped. Our seats were pretty good, but I found myself watching the screens more than Geddy, Alex and Neil themselves, and the videography was pretty well-handled (except for one humorous fuckup).

The sound was decent...probably average for an outdoor amphitheater. It looked like there was at least one stage-monitor fuckup, based on Alex L. getting furious at one point. My friend, who's a drummer, noticed a few fuckups from the band, but nothing too egregious.

Sodas were $4, a hot-dog and fries was $7. Oddly enough, Rush t-shirts were "only" $30, $10 less than their last time here. (It's also closer to the end of the tour, too.)

Additions from last show here: "Red Barchetta," "2112 Overture/Temples," maybe one more. (My friend said they did "Mission" last time, but I wasn't sure....it's one of my non-radio favorites, though.)

Deletions from last show here: "Circunstances," "Entre Nous"

It was a wild night, but a lot of fun, too. :kickass:

I was there for Foreigner and (ugh) Bryan Adams on Sunday. The price of reciprocity for all the Metal shows I've dragged my wife to over the years. I too was struck at how high the roof was, and assessed it to be ineffectual in a blowing rain. The fans really are ridiculously high whirling uselessly 60 feet above the audience. I'm still happy to have a venue like it on the northside. We also parked in Lot A, so parking and entry were really easy.

I went with Mike, Jon & Shaye, fortunately we were able to ride out the storm in Chili's rather than at the venue. Got there about 20 mins before the hit the stage and sat out on the lawn. Good show, only had seen them once before on the Vapor Trails tour so I was glad to catch them again.

Additions from last show here: "Red Barchetta," "2112 Overture/Temples," maybe one more. (My friend said they did "Mission" last time, but I wasn't sure....it's one of my non-radio favorites, though.)

Deletions from last show here: "Circumstances," "Entre Nous"

They also added "Ghost of a Chance" and "The Trees". "Summertime Blues" and "Secret Touch" were the 2 other tunes dropped.

Like Jim said, we waited it out at Chili's and left for the venue at about the last minute. Parking was pretty good (we were in Lot A as well). I don't know if we missed something, but when we left, we got directed all the way in the opposite direction of where we needed to go (Hwy 9 as opposed to North Point). Prices were about what I would expect--nothing outrageous, but certainly not cheap. Linda said the chairs were only $5 to rent--whoever came up with that idea was a genius--and you got $1 back if you returned the chairs. Didn't look like anyone did, so that was easy money.

I thought something sounded off about Geddy's vocals at the beginning--too high in the mix or something--but overall, the sound was quite good, the view wasn't bad (except for the 15-year-old air drummer through most of the first set--people, it's a lawn, everyone else is sitting, you can't stand in front of everyone :p). I couldn't care less about hearing that much off of Snakes & Arrows either, but I don't suppose I can complain about that. overall, a good setlist, about what I've come to expect from Rush in the whole 3 times I've now seen them (I still have Jim beat!!). :D

I did convince my husband via SMS that Phil Collins had come out and sung a duet on Mission (since he couldn't be here for the show and ADORES that song), but I let him in on the joke yesterday. :)

Shaye

RUSH: Atlanta Show Filmed - July 24, 2008
According to a posting on the RUSH fan site Power Windows, RUSH's July 22, 2008 concert in Atlanta was filmed for "possible inclusion as bonus footage on a pending DVD release."

RUSH's "Snakes & Arrows Live" two-CD set, featuring the complete set performed in Rotterdam on the 2007 leg of the tour, was released this past April. The companion DVD is set to be released later this year, although no official date has been announced.

The 2008 leg of RUSH's "Snakes & Arrows" tour kicked off April 11 in San Juan, Puerto Rico and concludes tonight (July 24) in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The band's 18th studio album, "Snakes & Arrows", debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard album chart with sales of 93,000 copies. The disc is the first collection of all-new RUSH material since 2002's "Vapor Trails" and the 27th RUSH release to make the Billboard album chart. The band's chart peak was in 1993, when "Counterparts" debuted at No. 2.

Yeah, when I saw the Eagles the last night they were here - the same thing happened. Poured right before the show, and since my seat both times was near the back - they were soaked when the show started.

I wish they had showed the band more on the big screens then the computer backdrops. The Eagles did a much better job of balancing it and having them always showing sometime. Seemed like half the time the screens were black at the Rush concert, then when they come on it was just a swirling background

I was there for Foreigner and (ugh) Bryan Adams on Sunday. The price of reciprocity for all the Metal shows I've dragged my wife to over the years. I too was struck at how high the roof was, and assessed it to be ineffectual in a blowing rain.

Your assessment is correct, sir! :lol:

The fans really are ridiculously high

....Especially the ones smoking weed during "Passage To Bangkok".....

...whirling uselessly 60 feet above the audience.

Oh, nevermind. :heh:

I went with Mike, Jon & Shaye, fortunately we were able to ride out the storm in Chili's rather than at the venue. Got there about 20 mins before the hit the stage and sat out on the lawn. Good show, only had seen them once before on the Vapor Trails tour so I was glad to catch them again.

You probably missed the kid who body-surfed down the grassy lawn.
Twice.
To appreciative cheers....hell, by that time, the drenched crowd under the 'roof' needed something to chuckle at. :)

Probably the first and last time someone bodysurfs down the lawn at THAT venue; somehow I can't see it happening during the ASO's 'all Tchaichovsky' show. :lol:

Linda said the chairs were only $5 to rent--whoever came up with that idea was a genius--and you got $1 back if you returned the chairs. Didn't look like anyone did, so that was easy money.

Wait, no-one returned the chairs? They left them on the lawn, or just....took them home?

I did convince my husband via SMS that Phil Collins had come out and sung a duet on Mission (since he couldn't be here for the show and ADORES that song), but I let him in on the joke yesterday. :)

LOL! And I happen to love that song, too. Now if only they'd play "Territories"......

RUSH: Atlanta Show Filmed - July 24, 2008
According to a posting on the RUSH fan site Power Windows, RUSH's July 22, 2008 concert in Atlanta was filmed for "possible inclusion as bonus footage on a pending DVD release."

Yep, I was surprised Geddy didn't mention this during the show. There were signs posted outside the bathrooms (and nowhere else, that I noticed) that the show was being filmed and that your presence constituted tacit approval of your image being used in various evil, nefarious ways.

The band's 18th studio album, "Snakes & Arrows", debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard album chart with sales of 93,000 copies. The disc is the first collection of all-new RUSH material since 2002's "Vapor Trails" and the 27th RUSH release to make the Billboard album chart. The band's chart peak was in 1993, when "Counterparts" debuted at No. 2.

They woulda had a #1 selling album there, too, except that Pearl Jam released Vitology that same week. :rolleyes:

Shaye

AHEM. My idea! =) Good show, good times....they did look kinda bored up there though.

Yeah, it was a cool show and will be interesting to see the footage if it is used. I was thinking I pretty much had the Rush live experience after seeing them 12 times but I talked to someone who said he had seen them 57 times since '77, now there's a fan for ya!!!

AHEM. My idea! =) Good show, good times....they did look kinda bored up there though.

Eh, I don't think so. It's hard for them to move around much with everything that goes on. That's why I appreciate them doing the video screen things so well. Gives a little something to see.

Yeah, Urban even mentioned it to someone else. I told him it was your idea... and that you'd gotten confused over Peter Gabriel... :heh: