Anyone else notice the excessive use of the E chord?

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I do believe they are called acoustics. Variation is good! Especially the 12-string!
yeah the music world has been way better since opeth invented the 12string :D
but they don't seem able to let go of those outdated distortion guitars and Em chords :erk:

Every guitar (or bass) player can tell you that the playing of the lowest note / chord possible doesn't only sound great and "doomy" but also FEELS great, as it reverberates through the body and neck of the instrument as well!

I Love (all) E-chords!

Someone trying to be a smartass, huh?

Mostly all metalbands play in the key of their guitars, resulting in many strummed Em, Ebm, or whatever their tuning is. Opeth even change keys in there songs, so this critique is rather out of place (assuming that you didnt arrive from listening to jazz/fusion or something outside the rock/hardrock/metalgenre, then you may ask for goofier keys)

Something that is more typical only for opeth (and of course very similar acts) is extensive use of dim-chords for evil parts and ninth chords for soft-parts. Now that is a repetitive pattern, but it sounds so damn good. and so damn opeth.

I created the evolution of the distorted guitar. I wouldn't mind sharing my information with you as long as you guys don't steal credit, because I've had it happen on this forum before (credit stealing).. But here it goes.

I've tried and tested this, and it seems to work - however, it works best with black metal or church music. You cock your eye at this, eh? Well that may not be wise, as a cock in the eye would probably hurt.

The sound was crafted using my guitar pedal. I had experimented extensively with pitch, reverb, delay, etc... and I came up with this. Start with a normal acoustic guitar tone through the pedal, then add another acoustic tone about 2 octaves higher so that it sounds doubled. Then add reverb (most pedals have a "church" setting, try that) and a little bit of weak delay. The following tone can be used in church music, and also in black metal. The lower notes sound like a deep church bell, and the higher notes sound more similar to a music box.

There's the evolution from the distorted guitars. I'd like to see someone bust out some black metal with my specially crafted bell sound. If you do, let me know.. I'd like to hear it!

E sounds close to the d7/g5 cord they use a lot. I really don't see them using E in an excessive way. Maybe the d7/g5 is what you are hearing?

Oinkness said:
I created the evolution of the distorted guitar. I wouldn't mind sharing my information with you as long as you guys don't steal credit, because I've had it happen on this forum before (credit stealing).. But here it goes.

I've tried and tested this, and it seems to work - however, it works best with black metal or church music. You cock your eye at this, eh? Well that may not be wise, as a cock in the eye would probably hurt.

The sound was crafted using my guitar pedal. I had experimented extensively with pitch, reverb, delay, etc... and I came up with this. Start with a normal acoustic guitar tone through the pedal, then add another acoustic tone about 2 octaves higher so that it sounds doubled. Then add reverb (most pedals have a "church" setting, try that) and a little bit of weak delay. The following tone can be used in church music, and also in black metal. The lower notes sound like a deep church bell, and the higher notes sound more similar to a music box.

There's the evolution from the distorted guitars. I'd like to see someone bust out some black metal with my specially crafted bell sound. If you do, let me know.. I'd like to hear it!

w00t!
That sounds awesome....i would try it out an use it if i had the facilities for layers, alas i don't :yell: