Anyone notice this?

music now a days is like a family in west virginia; everythings inbred. that's why i think squishing a bunch of genre's together makes things fresh again, i.e., the bands you guys seem to hate :err:
the red chord, between the buried an me, and the first norma jean is great shit.
so NYAH. :loco:
trivium sucks balls, and i don't personally care for opeth, but i do give them the credit that they are very accomplished musicians. but agian, trivuim sucks.

Squishing a bunch of genres together is one thing. But mixing with any genre that contains or equals the word "emo" is just a fundamentally bad idea.

It's kind of like pissing in your orange juice.

i hate these style of vocals. they are more shouted to my ears and all sound totally the same and the sounds of the underground tour sucked for this very reason. there is vary little constrast in them where as with the best of the black and death singers you can still hear some variety. syl and opeth totally stood out on the sotu tour and i hope that those other bands paid attention as to why. dev s work in syl is godly and mike really showed all those metalcore bands what it truly sounds like to be mean and scary. as far as soilwork goes i do hear a bit more of a hardcore sound in speeds vocals but not enough to lump them in with the metalcore sound. even though i do miss the thrashier death screaming at times i do believe that hes taken his singing up to the next level. i think his new style comes about because the death screaming was hard on his voice especially while touring and this new style is more controlled and less damaging on his voice. the development of his clean voice is amazing even though a lot of people don t like the way he uses it.

CAIRATH said:
It's kind of like pissing in your orange juice.
Doesn't everybody? :lol:

CAIRATH said:
Squishing a bunch of genres together is one thing. But mixing with any genre that contains or equals the word "emo" is just a fundamentally bad idea.
I don't see any parts of emo in any of those bands though. Now there is a big hardcore/emo crossover within the hardcore scene, and some more popular bands, but yeah, crossing metal/emo would give you that nu-metal crap'ola. :erk:

The proper term for it all is mallcore. The reason why it's proper is because it divorces it completely from my beloved metal.

i guess one of the main reasons for switching vocal styles within songs is to create contrast shifts which is something that works well usually for opeth. something heavy and mean usually sticks out when it follows something lighter and vice versa. on the other hand i think that going to clean vocals is usually just a way of getting the chorus to stick out more ala most metalcore, in flames,soilwork but it really has become a little cliched and predictable at times. dan swano did a good job on the edge of sanity albums however and things usually didn t sound forced. he used them to change mood and add variety rather than to just bring more attention to a songs hook.