Anyone Still Fans Of Queensryche

Thats a good point, it was Dream Theater that kicked the bucket over. But I didnt need to do any revisionism, I had already been there, waiting and waiting, twas like a dream come true.

I only recall people calling stuff like Keeper and OMC concept albums. Im not even sure if Helloween was called "power metal" at that time ? Word and terms spred slower though.

Power metal is one of the most terrible tags coined in sub-genres. When I first heard about it was applied to Helloween and even many claim they were the godfathers of it :rolleyes:. Now you have people talking about Euro power, American power, prog power, and ranging bands from Metal Church to Freedom Call, early Pretty Maids and Ostrogoth to Nevermore and Alestorm.

Ask anyone what Blind Guardian was in "Battalions of Fear" and then in "A Night At The Opera" and see what will you end with :Smug: (or Fates Warning debut vs FWX).

My point is forget about tags, if somebody ask you about this band sounds like?..., either pick the band closer to it in sound as description, or simply pass the music to the person and let itself decide.

Well I kind of lost the 80's hair band thing when I realized they were all a bunch of wankers. Fuck I was 13 when I loved the 80's bands. Queensryche was great I saw them play in Edmonton, Canada when I was 16 or so. The singer did the whole basketball dunk thing like from the video for empire, and well lets just say that was the end of CHEESE for me.:Smug:
Oh come on, Hair bands fuckin rock dude, just a matter of what volume you play that shit at.:kickass: Theirs nothing like going out cruisin with Mötley Crüe blaring as loud as it gets.

See the thing is that OMC was so awesome that once it was released, no other album they released couldnt compare.

Yes and no. I think Queensryche released two very worthy successors to Mindcrime in their catalog (the two that followed in chronologically to be exact).

I look at it sort of like James Cameron. He made T2 which (for me anyways) is probably the greatest movie ever made. But, he made Titanic and Avatar two very worthy successors to that movie.

Power metal is one of the most terrible tags coined in sub-genres. When I first heard about it was applied to Helloween and even many claim they were the godfathers of it :rolleyes:. Now you have people talking about Euro power, American power, prog power, and ranging bands from Metal Church to Freedom Call, early Pretty Maids and Ostrogoth to Nevermore and Alestorm.

Ask anyone what Blind Guardian was in "Battalions of Fear" and then in "A Night At The Opera" and see what will you end with :Smug: (or Fates Warning debut vs FWX).

My point is forget about tags, if somebody ask you about this band sounds like?..., either pick the band closer to it in sound as description, or simply pass the music to the person and let itself decide.

True dat

Still somehow if I get a power metal mention I do kind of know what to expect and I do believe that Helloween was the foreruners of that particular approach... which granted in not totally unique from being found in other bands that dont fall so closely under the banner... the "forefathers" themselves... LOL.

I'm not too familiar with Deep Purple, but Judas Priest doesn't have anything nearly as power metally as Gates of Babylon or Kill the King.

made a mess of this real quick didnt I... yep... stay away from tags... now I'll never listen to Maiden, Priest or Rainbow again cause all I'll hear is dragonfarse

Hey guys if we keep going backwards we're gonna end with Elvis :lol:

Hey guys if we keep going backwards we're gonna end with Elvis :lol:

who only packaged black blues up tidy and presented it to white "youths" :erk:

its been striaght to the depths of hell since... because Johnson cut a deal with the devil

Truth be told, I wasn't all that impressed with Hittman. Not bad, but they're one of a number of QR clones that just didn't have "it". Zion's Abyss is another. Both singers tried to be Tate, but Tate is one of a few elite singers with that kind of power in their falsetto. Lethal's Programmed is a great album. Recon, Sacred Warrior and Siam all did damn fine Queensryche imitations - and the latter band's album Prayer just may be my favorite album ever. Tony Mills comes pretty damn close in terms of Geoff Tate sound-a-likes. Try the song New Age Warning or The Search:
Hey thanks for the Siam heads up..going to check them out a bit more.

Lethal's programmed also had a lot of that Lizzy Borden vocal style too. A Tate/Borden combination can only be a good thing.

If we are talking about Queensryche like bands we can not forget Keith Menser's band Mystic Force. They have released quite a few albums but the one I want to talk about is Man vs. Machine.

ManvsMachine.jpg

The vocalist on this album is William Wren. And he sounds like a perfect aggressive Tate. The album is loaded with very strong songs and I can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Queensryche like band with a more aggressive sound.

Check out the title track "Man vs. Machine" on their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/officialmysticforce

O I forgot "that great old band from Austin" Power of Omens.

http://www.myspace.com/powerofomens

Their first album "Eye Of The Oracle" is the best kept secret of the progressive metal genre. It is no longer available but very good.

I did not like their second album that much. The singer Chris Salinas is now part of one of the best progressive metal bands ever; Zero Hour.

http://www.myspace.com/zerohourband

The music of Power Of Omens was very complicated. Again a long time favorite of mine from the period 1997 - 2002 when loads of good progressive metal/rock albums were released.