Are 'metal heads' weak individuals?

Anti-conformism and non-conformism are two different things; the former implies opposition whilst the latter means one simply isn't conforming. I would actually say that both are signs of strength, except that the former mostly tends to be indulged in by reactionary airheads who end up mimicking the very thing they believe they're opposing. The relationship between Christianity and Satanism at times springs to mind here.

Conformism and consensus are also two different things.

i'd agree. i'm not against conformity, i just don't give a damn. i don't care what side i am on if any, i am on my side.

high school was a joke for me. 7 hours a day of pretending to work, getting actual work done in a 20th of the time allotted, and spending the rest listening to music. i didn't socialize at all. no one worth talking to.

That sounds about like my high school experience. I hated school with a passion. I love learning, but a lot of my classes were mostly meaningless busy work and not much else. Side note: Long hair is really handy when you want to wear headphones in class and get away with it :tickled:

Hopefully college will be better...

everyone belongs to a "group".. everyone has something similar to someone..
everyone is influenced by someone or something.. it may not be on purpose or forced.. it may just be involuntary and just inconscious..

is it the way u dress, the way u talk, the way u think, the things u do or believe.. ..society (..we all..) create stereotypes.. and so we all end up to be a part of some of the many stereotyped groups just by doing the things we like..

"metal-heads" (in general) may have long hair, dress in black, (and surely listen to metal music..lol).. but that's just about what they like.. (of course the are always some "clowns" and "posers" that are an exception.. they do it for other reasons.. ..and they surely are fun.. lol)

NeverIsForever said:
Hopefully college will be better...
it was for me.

also, long hair + hooded sweatshirt = covert listening operation.

black and red have *always* been my favorite colors for symbolic reasons, long before i knew they were associated with certain stereotypes.

Sure, metal folk seem/appear to be more philosophically inclined, but perhaps that's simply because they can afford to be: they have the free-time (what, with being isolated so much). Johnny Boy cruising town in his shiny SUV is busy, can't be bothered with thought.

i disagree. maybe it's just me and where i live or something, but i have not experienced a great deal of philosophical thought amongst metalheads i know. that said, the only thing people i know who like metal have in common is that they like the music. it's not even a case of long hair and dark clothes, it's music, alcohol and having a good time. and living at home. what is with metal and adult men living at home...

the "metal life" is what it is. it will almost certainly be different for everyone except for the love of heavy music. Many metalheads have a different view of what "metal" is.....

old-schoolers see metal as priest, sabbath, maiden, etc... :hotjump:

nubies may think Korn, 40 below summer, soil, etc.. is metal, o_O

others think of Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, and Cradle of filth as metal .... :headbang:

no one's wrong ... no one's right ..... who the fuck cares? if you dig, crank it .... if you want to argue with someone, argue with a grateful dead fan or something ...:yell:

I don't listen to music for all this, social ambiguity crap. I like metal because, it's intense. It's one of few forms of music that still uses good instrumentship. Many bandmembers are great lyricists and great composers, like Dani Filth for example.

I don't buy into the whole metal for the sake of mallcore shit.

That mentality (in the way that he's using it) makes it impossible to define what is or isn't metal, so according to his theory there's no real point in the existence of genres.

Oh, and Zomb!man, it's possible to be a GD fan and a metalhead.

The Devil's Steed said:
That mentality (in the way that he's using it) makes it impossible to define what is or isn't metal, so according to his theory there's no real point in the existence of genres.

Oh, and Zomb!man, it's possible to be a GD fan and a metalhead.

Genres are labels. Labels are wrong. And, I find it hard to believe any TRUE metalhead could like that tree-hugging hippie crap -- no offense :loco:

You just named genres yourself and then referred to it all as "metal". YOU were labeling it. Not to mention, you can't say that no one is wrong, then say genre's (labels) are wrong. That's saying the people that think it's right to use those are wrong.

And I hate to break it to you, but Black Sabbath has some "tree-hugging hippie crap" and alot of metalheads are hippies. (Not me, though, but I've met plenty) Are you going to tell me that liking Black Sabbath means someone's not a true metalhead?

uhh..
It's only wrong to label people. It's ok to label everything else. If we didn't have lables in metal then we probably couldn't tell the difference between simple things like black metal, and a power metal.

Haha. Anyone who says metalheads shouldn't listen to "hippie crap" gets to lie face-up on railroad tracks.

Xorv said:
uhh..
It's only wrong to label people. It's ok to label everything else. If we didn't have lables in metal then we probably couldn't tell the difference between simple things like black metal, and a power metal.

I disagree with that. If someone's a Nazi, they're a Nazi. If they're stupid, they're stupid. If they're worthless, they're worthless, etc.. :loco:

It all depends on what type of metal head we are speaking about.

I've found that the more common metal head who listens to commercial bands such as Metallica, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, Pantera etc. is usually of low-to-average intelligence, more or less listening to this type of music to fit into a pseudo-alternative crowd. Most commercial heavy metal culture (or my pals culture as Vikernes would call it) consists of less mentally stimulating (sometimes degenerating) activities like drinking, head banging, casual sex, and drug use. These attributes are more common to people with lower intelligence that need to find distractions in life to amuse themselves because they are otherwise bored shitless.

Your more underground metal head, one who listens to black and death metal in particular, I've found to be usually of substantial intelligence, more inclined to be interested in intellectual activities such as philosophy and writing. They are also more humble, usually shy, and resentful to the modern world of which encourages ignorance and stupidity.

What you base the measurement of intelligence on also becomes important, just because someone doesn't perform well in algebra doesn't mean they are of less intelligence then someone who can, instead I prefer to base it on their behaviour, ideas and creations.

ænimated said:

I've found that the more common metal head who listens to commercial bands such as Metallica, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, Pantera etc. is usually of low-to-average intelligence, more or less listening to this type of music to fit into a pseudo-alternative crowd. Most commercial heavy metal culture (or my pals culture as Vikernes would call it) consists of less mentally stimulating (sometimes degenerating) activities like drinking, head banging, casual sex, and drug use. These attributes are more common to people with lower intelligence that need to find distractions in life to amuse themselves because they are otherwise bored shitless.

Your more underground metal head, one who listens to black and death metal in particular, I've found to be usually of substantial intelligence, more inclined to be interested in intellectual activities such as philosophy and writing. They are also more humble, usually shy, and resentful to the modern world of which encourages ignorance and stupidity.

What you base the measurement of intelligence on also becomes important, just because someone doesn't perform well in algebra doesn't mean they are of less intelligence then someone who can, instead I prefer to base it on their behaviour, ideas and creations.

now that i agree with! Well said

ænimated said:

i don't.

personally, i enjoy bands such as iron maiden, metallica, and "hippie crap" as someone put it. i also care for a good headbanging from time to time, but despise substance abuse or casual sex (as was made clear in another thread). while i can't deny what you say is true for many people, it is not a perfect stereotype. i also enjoy death and black metal, and all music boasting well-written lyrics and tactful playing, genre regardless.

i would not say fans of metal or any musical genre are "weak individuals". i would say fans of groups within any genre whose lyrical or musical content is meaningless/lacking are somewhat unversed in their musical awareness.