Are Metallica Set To Take Over...Again?

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
Originally posted by King Purple Rainbow
You've made a great point, Miami.

And mabye they weren't doing it for the cause of helping other artists, but I do believe they did it because Napster took the "I Disappear" song without their permission, that's the most important element. They gave their consent to tape trading, and even bootlegging. And I know that if Napster asked for the song, they might have been a little better about it.

Lars shouldn't complain. At least SOMEBODY wants that "I Disappear" shit!

I wish Metallica would disappear so that their legacy is tarnished no further by their present spank-ness.

Originally posted by King Purple Rainbow
Spank-ness??? :confused:

Yah, a " spank" is a musician who makes you bury your head in your hands and just "pfffft" in disbelief.

Metallica would be far more successful (in the right ways) had they stuck to their roots. It would be cool to still see them jam with other people, though (the jam with Les Claypool and Jerry Cantrell, John Popper, etc. was awesome.)
I thought, and Metallica later (in Playboy) came around to agree with me, that the MTV antics surrounding the Load album were pretty lame and commercial. What was with that "Until it Sleeps" vid?! Lose the make-up guys! What happened to playing basketball while wearing a bass and putting money in the cup of a Vietnam Vet with no legs? That I was into, but this Hollywood prettyboy shit?!

All these Make Up and Flurry shit was Lars´Idea. When Metallica posed under Lightnings and looked very angry it was james Idea, lars dide´t like it even back in the 80s, but he did it. and when larse came up with the idea for the Load Foto session james didn´t realy feel good about this but he said to himself "Who cares, nobody gets hurt lets do it"he did it and didn´t feel good as lars when the posed under lightnings

Originally posted by Eye Of The Observer
All these Make Up and Flurry shit was Lars´Idea. When Metallica posed under Lightnings and looked very angry it was james Idea, lars dide´t like it even back in the 80s, but he did it. and when larse came up with the idea for the Load Foto session james didn´t realy feel good about this but he said to himself "Who cares, nobody gets hurt lets do it"he did it and didn´t feel good as lars when the posed under lightnings

Still, I think the funniest ever Met photo sesh was AJFA. Jason looks like he's had one too many tacos late at night. What am I supposed to be scared? :lol:

Metallica is definately not going to live up to the current metal scene. I mean have you heard the new Blind Gaurdian CD? or the newest Iced Earth CD? and the new Dark Tranquility CD? Now THATS METAL. Metallica use to be pretty good, but theres no way they can compete with whats out there now. Just my opinion.:Shedevil:

Im giving METALLICA onnnne more damn chance...i swear if this album sounds anything like load or reload METALLICA is fucking dead in my life , there is no such thing as metallica anymore if it happens , JAMES , KIRK AND LARS died in that bus that night along with CLIFF.

Originally posted by SonsOfNorthernDarkness
Im giving METALLICA onnnne more damn chance...i swear if this album sounds anything like load or reload METALLICA is fucking dead in my life , there is no such thing as metallica anymore if it happens , JAMES , KIRK AND LARS died in that bus that night along with CLIFF.

I don't know if you've become aware of this or not, but, i really don't think metallica gives a fuck how many chances YOU give them. Quit your bitchin'- "boo-hoo!! they don't play the same shit they played in the eighties:cry: that means they sold out, mommy hug me!:cry: (now, to everyone) " THEY DIDN'T FUCKING SELL OUT!!! Were any of you assholes there when they recorded load or reload? no, 'fraid not. but, i guess you heard them say"hey lets sell out" regardless, right? The shit on load and reload is way better than than previous shit, y'all don't like it just because it isn't speeding thrash metal. The song structuring and layering is far more complex, scale experimentation and rhythm experimentation were far more present, james voice was way better than anything before that. They just wanted to try something different, you don't have to whine and cry just because it's not what YOU want to here, they don't fuckin write music for YOU now do they?!:rolleyes: they write for their fuckin selves

Originally posted by Jim Fear

I don't know if you've become aware of this or not, but, i really don't think metallica gives a fuck how many chances YOU give them. Quit your bitchin'- "boo-hoo!! they don't play the same shit they played in the eighties:cry: that means they sold out, mommy hug me!:cry: (now, to everyone) " THEY DIDN'T FUCKING SELL OUT!!! Were any of you assholes there when they recorded load or reload? no, 'fraid not. but, i guess you heard them say"hey lets sell out" regardless, right? The shit on load and reload is way better than than previous shit, y'all don't like it just because it isn't speeding thrash metal. The song structuring and layering is far more complex, scale experimentation and rhythm experimentation were far more present, james voice was way better than anything before that. They just wanted to try something different, you don't have to whine and cry just because it's not what YOU want to here, they don't fuckin write music for YOU now do they?!:rolleyes: they write for their fuckin selves

that's the single most intelligent post in the history of this tired thread!! hear hear!

While I seldom listen to Load and ReLoad, I do think that the weakest tracks are in fact those (such as "Better Than You," "Aint My Bitch" and others) where they tried to play heavy - probably just so people wouldn't freak out about brilliant stuff like Mama Said and Low Man's Lyric. Metallica seem doomed by their own metal success and now that they're TRYING to be a more mature hard rock (not alternative - go listen to some Zeppelin, people - HARD ROCK) band people won't let them be. I think they did the right thing, although the image they presented in support of the albums did a lot to undermine the daring and high quality work they did on the albums.

And, BTW, for heavy fans "The Outlaw Torn," "Ronnie," "Devil's Dance," and "Prince Charming" all met or exceeded (in heaviness and quality) most of the material on the Black album. "Devil's Dance" is, in my opinion, probably the best song written post Cliff as far as metal Metallica goes.