• No, not really

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I am too elitist for this poll

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

Beelzebub

Mar 22, 2003
New York City
I was speaking with a friend a while ago and they said they thought prog fans were "hostile," as in they tend to get really defensive/obnoxious when it comes to talking about music. When I thought about it, I had to agree. Among the things I hear prog called include but are not limited to:

buttrock
fagcore
absolute shit

So with people who say stuff like this about the genre, I can't help but defend the music I love.

What do you think? Discuss...

a vote for no.

when real prog fans talk about music, they are open to anything and won't be put off by someone suggesting something they've never heard. its the fanboys that bother me, who claim to be so "true" that they don't listen to anything else, and trash on everything else.

as for people bashing on prog, that's their problem, not mine :D. they don't know what they're missing. thats usually what i end up telling them, and i don't care whether they reject my advice or take it... people need to be less genre conscious and more musically aware i think

I had a discussion with a classmate at school once when he discoverd that I listen to metal. Strangely enough, he thought I was a "gangsta boy" who liked rap (this is the second occasion where someone thought I was one of those rapper hoodlums. I think I might dress goth now :loco: ). So he asked who was my favorite band? I knew well enough that he had no clue who Symphony X would be, so I said Dream Theater. Surprisingly he knew Dream Theater. He said "oh Dream Theater. My cousin likes that crap. I think they suck." I laughed and he continued, "you should check out System of a Down, that is great music."

I did not defend Dream Theater but in my head I felt a bit agitated and I knew if I opened my mouth something arrogant would come out. So i bit my tongue, laughed again, and said "ok, I'll check them out. Thanks."

So I have to admit, I do get agitated when people insult progressive music, even metal in general. But I never verbally defend it. I know they won't understand and it might lead to an unnecessary argument.

I remember seeing someone refer to prog as "geek metal." :headbang:

Some can be really hostile to prog fans, yeah...but I also think some prog fans can be extremely nasty towards those who listen to other kinds of music. Given that I listen to a wide variety of stuff, I've seen it from many different angles.

This happens to me all the time, I have given up on arguing about it I just give them a real dirty look to show them how pathetic I think they are. Use my pic as me as a south park charachter on the progpower forums to see what I mean.

what does get me angry, is...

when people dismiss a genre entirely based on a few bands they've heard and didn't like. such as "oh prog, yeah. dream theater sucks" or "rap is shit, how can anyone take 50 cent seriously". those people piss me off because they have seen but a sliver of the big picture, then presume to judge it as if they painted it.

Silent Song said:
what does get me angry, is...

when people dismiss a genre entirely based on a few bands they've heard and didn't like. such as "oh prog, yeah. dream theater sucks" or "rap is shit, how can anyone take 50 cent seriously". those people piss me off because they have seen but a sliver of the big picture, then presume to judge it as if they painted it.
I agree. But I tend to not get upset about people's tastes. I'm just enthusiastic about what I like, and sometimes, people get interested because of it. I don't talk down to anyone about my tastes, because they tend to be varied. I don't *only* like prog, so it's not hard for me to relate to the other person.

No, I don't think so. What I've found out thru the years is.....those who enjoy progressive music (all genres of prog) are interested in true talent without the packaged BS that is force fed with much of the "other" music. Call it elitist if you want, this is probably the reason that so many prog fans are musicians themselves. We are aware of the true talent and sincere effort that goes into the creation of this music. It's not for everyone, especially anyone who feels a need to share the same musical interests to be accepted in a social setting (like school). But, there is nothing wrong with having a broad range of musical interests. Then at least you can talk about music with anyone.

A Canadian friend gave us these words many years ago -----"MUSIC IS LOVE IN SEARCH OF A WORD."

I find that some prog fans have a very snobby, elitist attitude towards those who don't like prog..along the same lines as "if you don't agree with my opinion, then you're wrong". I loathe that mindset, personally, & certainly don't judge others for what music they like. Sure, prog may come across as more intelligent than commercial drone music, but that doesn't mean that the commercial music fans are any less intelligent than we are for liking what they like, & not what we like. This is what gives us the bad rep that we have among many other music fans.

That said, I'd have to say that I don't see prog fans as being hostile..haughty & snobby & elitist, yes sometimes, but I haven't seen actual hostility from any.

what would make these people less intelligent to most guys exposed to prog would then be the fact that the former just rely on commercial music. in this light and this light alone, I tend to side with them. I'm not beholden to the reason or motivation why some people just rely on whatever they hear on the radio or watch on the tube.

as Pharoah said, we guys tend to value music without the packaging..some people just don't get that fact. if learning to look beyond the exterior, into that which is not readily obvious is considered elitist, then I consider myself and most others who post here as enlightened beings.

and oh, I voted no. intimidating maybe, because of the above reasons, but not entirely hostile.

Fans of every type of music are elitist, snobby, hostile, and stupid. For some reason, music ends up being a deeply personal and meaningful part of a person's life. People get defensive about it to the point of being overbearing and nasty. It's not just prog fans.

Unlike fans of other kinds of music, however, prog fans tend to have a short list of judgement criteria to which they are ready and eager to subject other musicians in an effort to "prove" how great prog is...

Think about it: you might run into a rap fan who rattles off a list of things by which to judge musicians: "Oh, yeah..? Can John Arch FREESTYLE? I THINK NOT!!!" ...but it's extremely uncommon. Whereas, a lot of prog fans are quite prepared to point out how much of a shitty alternate-picker the dude from The Offspring is. "Sure George Harrison played with FEELING... but John Petrucci plays with SPEED ***AND*** feeling... so clearly he's the better guitarist...." and so forth.

You get the picture.

Strychnos said:
what would make these people less intelligent to most guys exposed to prog would then be the fact that the former just rely on commercial music.

See, this is a snobby angle right here..why is it less intelligent to like one type of music over another, be it commercial or not?

Hint: it's not. Your intelligence has nothing to do with whether you like pop or classical or whatever..judging someone's smarts by what their favorite tunes are is simply inane.

Jax said:
See, this is a snobby angle right here..why is it less intelligent to like one type of music over another, be it commercial or not?

Hint: it's not. Your intelligence has nothing to do with whether you like pop or classical or whatever..judging someone's smarts by what their favorite tunes are is simply inane.

my snobbines comes out here but, alot of kids don't really like it the like because they will be socially accepted.

Beelzebub said:
buttrock
fagcore
absolute shit

I have heard all of these as well, but not amongst prog fans. I personally only use the term "absolute shit" only when discussing punk, emo, and gangsta rap - but that's just me. As a prog fan I don't feel that I'm a better person than anyone else, or elite in any way.

I have to disagree with those who say prog in general is only for musicians, I mean the last insturment I played was the french horn in high school band. Do I listen to Prog because it's complex? no, I just listen because it's good music. Now there are some prog bands that I cant really get into (pink floyd, mars volta) but most of the times I find myself listening to the more acessable prog bands (styx, jethro tull, dream theater, symphonyx, Rush, Pagans Mind), and I think thats how it is for most nonmusician prog fans out there. Anyone agree?

meh. i hate to judge....but i usually find it far easier to get on with people who like similar types of music as me. many may disagree but i believe your personality does affect what music you enjoy and feel connected to.

ah fuck it who cares..."the publics a bunch of assholes" :D

Also, I think prog is up there with classical and jazz in regards to the "snob quotient". Yeah, A LOT of prog fans are snobby bastards, so it doesn't surprise me that other music fans make fun of prog. Respect is a two way street, and if prog fans want others to respect their music, they need to respect rap or pop-rock or whatever.

interesting developments.

most of my friends don't listen to prog. some just laugh at it. oh well. i'm grateful actually, that they are not identical in taste as me- because i learn from them. i expand my musical spectrum to things i wouldn't have picked up otherwise because they bring it to my attention.

i strongly advocate that no genre of music is more valid than another. reason, purpose, and artistic intent/message however, is what makes some bands "better" than others. i see some of you also see it this way. basically, music made for a quick buck isn't as good as music that drives a purpose or message. this is because music that has a message carries a chance to further that cause in some way. music made solely for money may entertain, but it won't change anyone's lives, nor their opinions or worldviews. it doesn't really go anywhere, and tends to be forgotten when the next "quick buck" band arrives to fill the void the previous left. in contrast, music with a purpose lasts much longer through time because that impact was there. the stronger the impact, the more lasting and memorable it will be.

notice i intentionally avoided using examples. i don't want to label any genre as "quick buck bands" and another as "impactful" because every genre has some of both to varying degrees.

edit: and when i say every genre, i don't mean prog metal, prog rock, power metal, death metal, etc. i know some people on here seem to think "everything" means every kind of metal or every kind of prog. i say every genre as in, EVERY genre.