Are prog fans "hostile"?

• Yes, I guess so

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • No, not really

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I am too elitist for this poll

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
X-Men was insanely good, yeah. That was back when it was actually worth getting up early in the morning to see the cartoons.

I'm probably the only one, but I also got a kick out of Catdog. ;)

I think so...the one I really remember is the "cat supremacist" episode. That one was funny and freaky at the same time...remember the fish hats?

Come to think of it, maybe I should start a thread for this. :)

I like whatever catches my ear really. I'm into "prog" because I love guitar. And the guitar is usually in a setting of great vocals, really complex drumming, and good bass. I'm a musician and I like to hear virtuosity. That said, I also like blues, jazz, fusion, and popular stuff - really whatever catches my ear. The unfortunate thing about pop stuff is if it's successful it is played constantly on the radio or TV. Then I get sick of it. I suppose that's my main dislike about the pop genre. But, I also tend to overplay certain CDs and get sick of great songs as well.

Silent Song said:
what does get me angry, is...

when people dismiss a genre entirely based on a few bands they've heard and didn't like. such as "oh prog, yeah. dream theater sucks" or "rap is shit, how can anyone take 50 cent seriously". those people piss me off because they have seen but a sliver of the big picture, then presume to judge it as if they painted it.

Oh my god, I can relate exactly. I showed someone Andromeda because I thought they'd enjoy it. They think now all prog is video game music. I've shown them Symphony X, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, but all when I say "prog" all she says is "I don't like your video game music". Infuriates me :hotjump:

Prog=video game music? o_O Grossly untrue.

Too few people get philosophical about music and the ramifications it presents(outside this thread at least IMO), so this thread is a bit of a godsend. :D

By and large, I think this elitist self-concept stems from having been exposed, thereby spoiled to the finer points of speed guitar play, 8/16 drum signatures and ornate keyboard layers that most prog fans look down on what they think is categorically inferior. I do believe prog as a genre must be promoted, and being snobby and snooty to other people is the exact antithesis of that notion.

I may talk big, but I know--I'm struggling with my snooty tendencies as well.

Strychnos said:
Prog=video game music? o_O Grossly untrue.

LOL, people just don't realize how good video game music is getting these days. Sometimes it compares to real film-scores!

;)

What really sets me mad is when I show some jazzy tunes to anyone, they'll discard it as 'Supermarket music'... God I hate that. But the worse was that once I heard Pat Metheny at a shop...

LOL, I think of it as "coffee shop" or "bookstore" music. But that's one thing I always liked about Barnes & Noble and Starbucks. ;)

funny you'd mention old video game music..... a lot of pure technical and musical genius went completely unnoticed because it was in the form of nintendo-generated beeps. If you pay attention you can tell right away that the japanese guys who programmed the music in Contra, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden etc. were hugely influenced by the good ol classic heavy metal bands of the 80's. At least i feel old school game music and metal are closely related.

Anyway, a lot of that material had awesome potential (as shown by later "remixes") but it never got much positive attention because of the way it was presented.

delt said:
funny you'd mention old video game music..... a lot of pure technical and musical genius went completely unnoticed because it was in the form of nintendo-generated beeps. If you pay attention you can tell right away that the japanese guys who programmed the music in Contra, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden etc. were hugely influenced by the good ol classic heavy metal bands of the 80's. At least i feel old school game music and metal are closely related.

Anyway, a lot of that material had awesome potential (as shown by later "remixes") but it never got much positive attention because of the way it was presented.

the other way around too, there are some bands where I hear alot of Sonic The Hedgehog influence, example: Sun-Caged :headbang:

Silent Song said:
check out Echoes. it may change your opinion as it is a "best of" of sorts, and includes some more upbeat stuff.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
thanks, ill check it out

I recommend that you check out the Pink Floyd Live In Pompeii version of ECHOES. Watch the video if possible. It is their best version and the sound is much better than the album version. The drums sound really hard and in your face.

I highly recommend anyone who wants to get into Pink Floyd to get the Live In Pompeii DVD. You will have a totally different perspective of what the band is all about.