Are they even really still prog these days?

Do you agree that on the last 2 albums, Sym X have moved away from their prog roots?

• YES

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • NO

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
They don't have as many progressive moments as they used to have. However, the guys still have progressive moments.
There are some throughout Iconoclast that are quite obvious to me. The new song has progressive moments as well.

Here's how I look at their last few albums for what they are.

Iconoclast: A great album with the Sci-Fi Technology theme. When I listen to this album I feel like I should be playing Halo or Mass Effect. I think the lyrics are "weak" a few times in the album. Overall, I think it is great.
Plus they are pretty close to being perfect with their mix.
Paradise Lost: An Epic album in my opinion. The guys wrote some phenomenal songs and pushed themselves further with their sound and the Orchestra parts.
Odyssey: This album is just an EPIC.

Over time I think the guys have realized what they can do with their music. Whether it be heavy, neo-classical, progressive or melodic. For this next album, which I think it will be, it will be a mixture of everything thrown in. Which will make it a fantastic album.
The single already speaks for itself. Romeo has still got it going on.

Ive got to agree with some of the statements being here - they're definitely not as prog as they used to be. Just the new single reflects just that, its modern and heavy, and although the riffs have a prog touch to them - they're not 100% prog per se, not at all.

I think what we've got here with Sym X and the new album, is something really unique. Something that really refreshing to hear. It makes me realize that I'm not that much of a prog fan at all anymore - I listen to anything that I find interesting, regardless of genre. And you bet - the new single and the new sound it is promising. Wow, just wow. I'm truly amazed, and I think the new direction is the best they could ever take this time. :)

It's so strange how one single thing can be viewed as opposites, even between people who share same tastes as SymX.
For me this single speaks for itself. Romeo has ran out of riffs and ideas.

You have probably been a Symphony X fan longer than I have?

Haha.

I really hope the rest of the album is different from this... I mean we have heard this before.
If this is where the band wants to go, then so be it. Who am I to judge? It's easy for us to rant about what we think they "should" play... Anyways... I just hope the new album is not just an Iconoclast part 2.

Ive got to agree with some of the statements being here - they're definitely not as prog as they used to be. Just the new single reflects just that, its modern and heavy, and although the riffs have a prog touch to them - they're not 100% prog per se, not at all.

I think what we've got here with Sym X and the new album, is something really unique. Something that really refreshing to hear. It makes me realize that I'm not that much of a prog fan at all anymore - I listen to anything that I find interesting, regardless of genre. And you bet - the new single and the new sound it is promising. Wow, just wow. I'm truly amazed, and I think the new direction is the best they could ever take this time. :)

But it's the exact same sound as the last 2 albums.
I don't see how anybody can consider this single or overall direction interesting; to me, it's the exact opposite.
The reason I like prog so much is because most interesting music is prog, or some form of prog.

They are definitely heavier than prog now and I voted yes.

I love prog music when it's done well and heavy rock is also a favourite genre of mine (again I am selective with this as there are far more rock bands i dislike than those I do). V and Underworld fall into the 2 different categories but are both excellent and easily the best 2 Symphony X albums imho. I lean towards Underworld more but maybe that's because its fresh. I am not concerned by the change of direction.

I don't think they were ever really that proggy to begin with (I'm using DT as a benchmark here). I will agree they got heavier, though.