Are u fuckin serious???

Hmmm.. maybe someone could try to explain to me the "rationale" (for lack of a better term) behind that Saudi woman being sentenced to caining and imprisonment for the "crime" of being the victim of a gang rape..

my dad got hit by a car while hes crossing the street,
my dad wasnt crossing where hes suppose to cross, so technically its my dads fault
but theres this weird law "no ones fault accident" :S
so now my dad is suing the women
althou i love my dad and all that, but i think what is he doing is unfair

Hmmm.. maybe someone could try to explain to me the "rationale" (for lack of a better term) behind that Saudi woman being sentenced to caining and imprisonment for the "crime" of being the victim of a gang rape..

as we all know, women have no rights in certain countries.. it's fucked but no one's gonna change it anytime soon..

So I remember hearing about a case from Rhode Island...
This story could be complete bullshit but..
Husband and wife go on vacation, wife decides to wax the floors before they leave. (Women know why she did it.)
A guy breaks into the house not long after the couple leave (story goes he had been watching the house). He slips on the wax and falls down the stairs (can't remember what injury he had) but he sued the couple and won.

Gazz, I understand the civil liability is different from criminal. I also understand the burden of proof, what I don't get is in each story I've heard (heard the ladder one) is the person WASN'T an invited guest on their property and had no business being there, so how are these cases being won?
Let's say I haven't serviced my brakes in a while..someone steals my car and my brakes go out, causing an accident. Since it's my property am I responible for the accident victims and their bills? If not, then how is it different for land/house theives?

This one is a true story..
My old neighbor was 69yrs old at the time. A 35yr old crack head broke into his property (broke the lock off the gate) Starting pounding on his sliding glass door, when my neighbor wouldn't open the door, the guy crack head (high as fuck) broke through the door, my neighbor shot him. They guy went to the hospital and survived. The guys story, was he broke through the glass after he was shot, but the all the glass was inside the house...meaning it was broken from the outside. Cops knew his story was BS. Sad thing to report here, is this guy was never arrested for the crime of breaking to the gate and proceeding the break the door. My 69yr old neighbor was arrested and jailed for a year. Want to know what for? Firing a gun within city limits.
This guy later sued my neighbor and won his house.
I am going to add, he was caught giving his morphine to his girlfriend in the hospital. Wasn't arrested for that either. He was never even brought up on charges.

I don't think that first story could happen...
Do you now live next to the crack head?
Also, I think he might be liable for the gunshot if the crackhead can establish that the old guy was in no imminent danger.

I don't think that first story could happen...
Do you now live next to the crack head?
Also, I think he might be liable for the gunshot if the crackhead can establish that the old guy was in no imminent danger.

No I lived next to the old guy.
He did try to prove that, but the slidding glass door crashing in was scared the fuck out of me.

Right, but you said the crackhead won the house...

Yes in civil court. So it's possible for someone to sue the owner of a house because he/she had waxed the floor, or owned a broken ladder.

I don't understand why this happened. I mean, how is it that a 35yr old crackhead, all strung out...can break a gate lock AND a double pane sliding glass door, scared the piss out of a 69yr old man, who in turn shoots him and the only person who spends anytime in jail is the 69yr old, for firing the gun within city limits? Come on. What's worse is this guy is a known criminal, with a violent history.
I was close to my neighbor, he was a sweet guy. I used to call him dad he was so good to me. For the 3 years I lived there, he always made sure I was ok. Called to check on me, made sure I ate, took me to the doctor's at 3am when I had a 103 temp. This man had health problems, should have been in a wheel chair...and still he made sure I was ok. To see something like this happen to this sweet old man..makes you sick. He worked his ass off his whole life to provide for his family. Used what little he had left to buy that house....sad to see it go to a piece of shit.

Yes in civil court. So it's possible for someone to sue the owner of a house because he/she had waxed the floor, or owned a broken ladder.

I don't understand why this happened. I mean, how is it that a 35yr old crackhead, all strung out...can break a gate lock AND a double pane sliding glass door, scared the piss out of a 69yr old man, who in turn shoots him and the only person who spends anytime in jail is the 69yr old, for firing the gun within city limits? Come on. What's worse is this guy is a known criminal, with a violent history.
I was close to my neighbor, he was a sweet guy. I used to call him dad he was so good to me. For the 3 years I lived there, he always made sure I was ok. Called to check on me, made sure I ate, took me to the doctor's at 3am when I had a 103 temp. This man had health problems, should have been in a wheel chair...and still he made sure I was ok. To see something like this happen to this sweet old man..makes you sick. He worked his ass off his whole life to provide for his family. Used what little he had left to buy that house....sad to see it go to a piece of shit.

hey sis, im sorry to hear that, but it made me think, isnt US a free country?!?!?! so technically dont u have a freedom to do whatever u want with ur property?!?!?!, so if someone wants to wax his floor, or fill it with shit, isnt he free to do anything?!?! :erk:

hey sis, im sorry to hear that, but it made me think, isnt US a free country?!?!?! so technically dont u have a freedom to do whatever u want with ur property?!?!?!, so if someone wants to wax his floor, or fill it with shit, isnt he free to do anything?!?! :erk:

freedom, under the law, has its limitations brother.

i could write you all a thesis on that very topic but i really cbf. lol!

Gazz, I understand the civil liability is different from criminal. I also understand the burden of proof, what I don't get is in each story I've heard (heard the ladder one) is the person WASN'T an invited guest on their property and had no business being there, so how are these cases being won?
Let's say I haven't serviced my brakes in a while..someone steals my car and my brakes go out, causing an accident. Since it's my property am I responible for the accident victims and their bills? If not, then how is it different for land/house theives?

sister, let me explain. in tort, everyone owes their neighbour a duty of care. it doesn't matter if they are uninvited or not, if it is reasonably foreseeable and a proximite relationship exists between plaintiff and defendant (basic, physical, causal) that using a broken ladder would cause harm to a plaintiff or class of plaintiffs and that ladder is used, then you are liable. it's very hard to understand without going into great detail...i'll hunt around for some cases that will explain it at great length is you like :headbang:

<3

it's still fricken wrong tho!!! basically the law is telling you the only way to come up on the good side of it, is to be a criminal! why teach a society to obey it when there is no justice, and it's not there to help the innocent? makes me sick..

Yes in civil court.
As in, he won the case? Or as in he won the house as a settlement?
So it's possible for someone to sue the owner of a house because he/she had waxed the floor, or owned a broken ladder.
It strains credulity.

sister, let me explain. in tort, everyone owes their neighbour a duty of care. it doesn't matter if they are uninvited or not, if it is reasonably foreseeable and a proximite relationship exists between plaintiff and defendant (basic, physical, causal) that using a broken ladder would cause harm to a plaintiff or class of plaintiffs and that ladder is used, then you are liable. it's very hard to understand without going into great detail...i'll hunt around for some cases that will explain it at great length is you like :headbang:
It's really all in the jury, tbh. Most juries would throw out such a suit.
it's still fricken wrong tho!!! basically the law is telling you the only way to come up on the good side of it, is to be a criminal! why teach a society to obey it when there is no justice, and it's not there to help the innocent? makes me sick..
In criminal court you're fine if you obey the law. In civil court shit gets ridiculous.

S-2.jpg

Something along the lines of this (it's a joke) has helped take care of anyone trespassing at my Cottage. But it's right beside the shooting range my dad and I have set up, so some idiots don't quite get the joke. This is even though they've passed about 15 Private Property - No Trespassing/No Hunting on the drive down the laneway to the cottage. The best was when my dad had a bunch of coworkers up and and an extremely dumb blonde (I'm not kidding either) said "You don't really shoot anyone do you?"