are you a METAL parent?

Hawk said:
I agree, that exactly what I told all those Dio whorshippers in the early 80s who told me Dio was the greatest simger on the planet. I alway's liked Halford better. They always started to laugh when I told them that. :Smug:
Dio is my favorite singer btw :p
True that Rob is much more technical though... but it depends on the period I'd say. Ronnie did such amazing vocal lines in Rainbow ("Gates of Babylon", "Stargazer" -> vocal jewels), with tons of nuances in his delivery, things someone like Warrel Dane also does nowadays.
Now Ronnie sings in a much simpler way compared to the Rainbow days, but noone can sings with emotion like he does, in my opinion. And he's 61. :worship:

It is, but it is true what you are saying. A singer with a big reach can sing more versatile vocal lines. However high singer sounds not a thick and powerfull as mid-range vocals. Mid-range vocals on the other hand can be quite limited. Then there's a difference in how creative the paricular singer is. I have heard some boring and uninspired vocalist in my life :erk:
Indeed, that's why I love "high" singers who also have a strong mid-range, the best of both worlds.

Halford is The Metal GOD!! :worship: /subjective mode off/
Is it really subjective? :D

I think Tim is doing a great job! But I do think that the early period of IE was its best. I am not to crazy about what they did after "Dark Saga".
I still like their recent releases but I see what you mean, their first albums were more creative riffs-wise. Now Schaffer concentrates much more on vocal lines and arrangements, and way less on the riffs which pretty much all sound the same.
Despite the repetitive and simpler riffs, I love "Glorious Burden"... mainly because of Tim's awesome performance :headbang: Especially in "Gettysburg".

I feel that especially "Something Wacked this Way Comes" was a weak release. In my humble opinion of course. I did not like the sing along choruses that much. Perhaps their earlier releases had a more progressive streak in them?
Heh that's probably the reason why.
"Something..." is my favorite IE album though ;) Along with "Stormrider".

AngelWitch73 said:
No kids in our house and it looks like it will stay that way as neither my husband nor I have much interest in raising children. Who knows what will happen 3 years from now though, and if I did have a child, he / she would probably listen to Metal since that´s what they´d mostly hear in our house.

WELCOME BACK ANGEL WITCH!!!

Hawk said:
Ha ha thats ok Jonny! :) I was just trying to make a technical point :tickled: In the end however it does not mean shit! I mean It's all about preferences right? I would not try to touch that subject with a ten foot pole :lol: OTOH... maybe one day I will who knows?

What probably was not clear in my post is that I always liked the singer with a big reach way better.
hehehehe Yeah I knew you were hahaha and I agree that in Technical Asspects Barlow Prollr is Better its not his Power or range I have a problem with its the sound of his voice his tone :puke: hahahaha I mean I do Like something wicked.... it was my First IE But I dont know I am a actual Ripper fan hahqahah shit I'm losing concentration!

JonnyD said:
How was Vacation? :D
It was AWESOME ! Got to see BLUE ÖYSTER CULT in ConnectiCULT and also another band called DIVINITY DESTROYED in New Jersey that I thought I would never get to see. It was a very historical trip as we went to Battleship Cove in Massachusetts, Gettysburg, Newport News to see another battleship (which was unfortunately closed to the public the day we planned on going). It was very interesting standing on the fields of the Civil War. All in all, a fantastic trip but it feels good to be back home. I missed my cats and good Beer. :D However, we did find some excellent brews, especially in Bar Harbor, Maine. They brew a fantastic dark Beer.

AngelWitch73 said:
It was AWESOME ! Got to see BLUE ÖYSTER CULT in ConnectiCULT and also another band called DIVINITY DESTROYED in New Jersey that I thought I would never get to see. It was a very historical trip as we went to Battleship Cove in Massachusetts, Gettysburg, Newport News to see another battleship (which was unfortunately closed to the public the day we planned on going). It was very interesting standing on the fields of the Civil War. All in all, a fantastic trip but it feels good to be back home. I missed my cats and good Beer. :D However, we did find some excellent brews, especially in Bar Harbor, Maine. They brew a fantastic dark Beer.

Sounds like you had a great time. I'd like to go to the US again. The last few months I made a couple of great friends there. I would love to visit them once! :)

Wat's this interest in history? don't you know that history is boring? ;)

Hawk said:
What's this interest in history? don't you know that history is boring? ;)
:Spin: Actually, history IS boring to me unless I can go and have more of an experience like standing somewhere where something historical happened. I had the worst History teachers ever and they scared me off from any interest in it until I met my husband who actually makes history interesting. There´s a major difference from when you read something in a book or when you are standing on the hills men have died in battle on.

AngelWitch73 said:
:Spin: Actually, history IS boring to me unless I can go and have more of an experience like standing somewhere where something historical happened. I had the worst History teachers ever and they scared me off from any interest in it until I met my husband who actually makes history interesting. There´s a major difference from when you read something in a book or when you are standing on the hills men have died in battle on.
Yep! Thats the way to do it. Sometimes I dress up my students so that they are on a historical mood. The message gets across better that way. But there are loads of tricks to make a history lesson more interesting. You must have had a sucky teacher. :erk:

Hawk said:
Yep! Thats the way to do it. Sometimes I dress up my students so that they are on a historical mood. The message gets across better that way. But there are loads of tricks to make a history lesson more interesting. You must have had a sucky teacher. :erk:
Every teacher I had for history and geography were boring as hell. They really wrecked the experience for me. I should have moved to The Netherlands so I could get in your classroom. :lol:

I had some horrible schoolyears , going first to a very oldfashion school (some priests still were teaching there..) . Beside a few good teachers there I have a pretty deep hate for most of the rest...I remember doing a VERY good oral final-test and the teach stupidly told me if I should dress decent (I had 3 inch long hair and jeans) and would cooperate more during the whole year (I was a very quiet guy than) I would pass the test, no matter if I did that test nearly perfect....This guy really gave me a clue how pupils get to hate school so much (I did anyway)... Well, later on a went to a more "free" school where teachers didn't care your hair was long, from that time I have some teachers that became friends, and still visit them now and than...I'm pretty sure Hawk is in the last category. I have a deep respect for teachers that do a good job, I realize it's a hard thing to get pupils interested these days...

Thanks carnut. I used to hate my teachers as well. I found them stupid ignorant assholes. They didn't knew shit about the subject they were teaching. Now and then I used to correct them, only to get the class goon squad all over me [remember them?]. They were shouting; "you
think you know it better than the teacher?". Well sometimes I did :)

I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. And I always promised myself that I would be a better teacher than the assholes of
my youth. I wanted to be on the side of the student. And I am!

Two years ago a student corrected me when I was telling the class something. Again the goon squad kicked in: "Ha ha you think you
know better than the teacher?"

I told them to shut up, that the student was right and that just because I am a teacher, I can still make mistakes. I don't know everything nor do I presume to do so!

In my classes there's ample room for criticism as long as it is done in a civilized manner.

I am by far not the only teacher who teaches this way. Things have changed in school since you both have been there :)

AngelWitch73 said:
They do Brew some great Dark Beers up here :D Thats great I'm glad you had a good time! I would love to visit some of those places you saw hahaha very interesting!

No kids here!! I can't say that it it will never happen though, but I will prevent it anyway possible! I was rasied in a STRICT christian home, wear I was forced to not only go to church weekly, but attend school there after I became a little shithead. When I was about 11, I did a 180 on my parents, which in turn motivated my mom to put me into a christian school. My fathers taste in music has had an impact over the years, from Floyd, Van Morrision, John Cougar, etc.....which lead me to my own tastes in music. My mom on the other hand is EXTREMELY against all metal and what it stands for. So you can just imagine what its like for her to walk into my room with King Diamond on. When I turned 18 we once again became just, and managed to mend back together our relationship. That is one of the reasons that I dont really want to have children, the intense situations between me and my mother during my youth were brutal as hell. Of course the fact that I have a non-christian tattoo and that I refuse to convert my life is almost a daily disscusion. But, I'm happy with who I am and thats really all that matters.

Abryl said:
I definitely like Barlow's voice way better than Owens'. I never had the chance to see Iced Earth live with Matt except for a couple of bootlegs and it seemed to me that he had great stage presence and was just a really good frontman, not to mention his, in my opinion, awesome voice. I saw Iced Earth with Owens in May and overall I think it was a cool show, but Tim didn't seem to have "enough stage presence" and sometimes his voice lacked emotion, like on Melancholy. He sounded good on My Own Savior, Violate and Burning Times tho.

As far as TGB goes, well I was looking forward to that album and it dissappointed me so much :( I like some songs but to me it just sounds weak, considering what IE have been able to do before. I hope this explains it a bit more ;) :p

congrats, your soccer team won their final in penalty kicks.