Arguing on the Internet

PatrickHoyt

The Darkitecht
Jun 3, 2007
Daytona, Florida
I figured since I already have a related post in that latest political thread I'd make a thread about "Arguing on the Internet."

I obviously have no life right now. :Spam:

Arguing on the Internet
The problem with arguing on the Internet is somewhat analogous to if a skilled swordsman wandered the streets offering a foil to random strangers to fence with them. The average person on the Internet is about as skilled at logical argumentation and rhetoric as he is at swordplay, having never touched a sword, but having watched a few Hollywood pirate movies.

But that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Imagine instead if the master swordsman handed a foil to a random stranger on the street and started fencing, but every time he got a hit, his foe said "no you didn't, that's not how the game works!" and insisted he was actually winning. Every time he did some kind of ridiculous Hollywood cinematic thing, he'd consider that he scored a point, but since the master swordsman wasn't doing those things, neither his foe nor the bystanders would accord him any points.

In the end, of course, the master swordsman would have had dozens of chances to maim, kill, or subdue his foe, and blocked every blow that came anywhere near being able to injure him. But no one else would realize that he won. They just thought he was dry, and kind of boring.

You can only win so many arguments against people who don't even realize what an argument is before it's not even amusing for its own sake.

(Months after I made this post, the following strip showed up on Cectic:)**

069.png

now for some random images in relation to arguing on the internet

62483229dkv5.jpg

Fail.png

xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

Icansee-1.jpg

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

afz.jpg

This might be taken seriously if you yourself were not extremely guilty of it yourself.

Pot...meet kettle. ;)

that was a while back over ONE issue...*shrugs* I didn't say I wasn't guilty of it, but I've obviously stopped caring since then (and realized it was pretty pointless.) :Smug: and you sir, are no master swordsman. :lol:

i think its great...(arguing online- not the picture).

for me, arguing on the internet refines my views and the presentation of them for when it matters.
its so easy to win in a debate when youve been able to perfect an argument online over the course of time.

that was a while back over ONE issue...*shrugs*

Actually there was an argument you were involved with fairly recently.

I didn't say I wasn't guilty of it

But yet you make this ridiculous thread as if you were holier than...rendering the thread pointless because you're just as guilty if not moreso.

but I've obviously stopped caring since then (and realized it was pretty pointless.)

I know better...your response is a result of the opposite.

and you sir, are no master swordsman.

Maybe not...but I see you've been impaled & bleeding. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree....... you are a horrible person. There is no argument from me there.

Bryant (wields his sword)

:lol: Have we met? I don't think so. So you really have no way of knowing if I really am a horrible person. I could have been completely tongue-in-cheek, but you've never met me, so you don't know. You just make assumptions. Which certainly says a lot about YOU. :)

WAIT! But what if you were being tongue-in-cheek too, and I missed it because I can't read your expression or hear the tone of your voice! COMMUNICATION FAIL. lolz internet. ;)

@Shaye: Why would you post that, given that Patrick intentionally left it out? o_O (this is my confused face) Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realise DT deleted his post. My bad. I am no longer confused.

@the two Hoyts: See, Ascention is trying to get Patrick to argue with him in an attempt to prove a point. Let him believe, or accuse as he will. I know what Patrick is trying to get across, and I see from reading the posts here, that others do too. :)

@the two Hoyts: See, Ascention is trying to get Patrick to argue with him in an attempt to prove a point. Let him believe, or accuse as he will. I know what Patrick is trying to get across, and I see from reading the posts here, that others do too. :)

don't worry sweetie. I know what he's up to - no good as always. And I've also proven my point. Some people are just oblivious to that fact because they go through life with blinders on, forever peering into their indignant self-righteous mirror.

I can only pity those types of people.

Actually there was an argument you were involved with fairly recently.

But yet you make this ridiculous thread as if you were holier than...rendering the thread pointless because you're just as guilty if not moreso.

I know better...your response is a result of the opposite.

Maybe not...but I see you've been impaled & bleeding. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

whoooooo. *sigh*