Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Benighted Joe

Opethian
Oct 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
www.myspace.com
I know Mike's doing some background vocals and play a little guitar on the Porcupine Tree album Deadwing.
Isn't the solo on this song, near the end on "Arriving somewhere but not here", a very similar solo as on a
Opeth song? Can't remember which one, but I think it's one of the Damnation songs...

Does anyone know?

well regardless of whether the topic has already been discussed, Mikael's solo didn't make it into the song. That solo is a Steven Wilson I believe. And what solo in particular were you thinking it was related too on damnation?

^ Really? Well then why everyone else writes that this is Mike's solo over there? I'm not saying it is but I read it in magazines and news boards on various sites...

:Wreath: said:
^ Really? Well then why everyone else writes that this is Mike's solo over there? I'm not saying it is but I read it in magazines and news boards on various sites...

Mike posted on this forum that he wrote a metal like solo for that song that didn't make the final cut. PT wrote that softer solo themselves, and damn is it kickass. Search for Mikael's posts about his role in Deadwing. You'll see.

ok I believe you, just wanted to straighten this shit :D Thanx!

(although this solo IS pretty akerfedltesque ;) )

:err:

The Deadwing booklet states: "Mikael Akerfeldt - harmony vocals on 1,3,5, second guitar solo on 5"

So it is MA, not SW ;)

yeah, the booklet don't lie !! :D

but seriously, there's sopmething fishy about it... or my nick isn't deliverance...

He wrote the last very blues like solo near the end of the song. It also sounds similar to the solo from Hours of Wealth.

I found the solo at the end sounded more like Windowpane...

Anyways... before looking it up, I actually thought Mikael came up with the death metal riffs at the end of ASBNH. I guess it shows how ready Steve Wilson is for the sideproject with Mike.

Wtv asshole. Steve Wilson does. In an interview he claimed that the ASBNH fused "ambience" with "deathmetal".

Save me the technicalities and just be productive on the forum, instead.

Those are Dream Theater heavy riffs in that song. They remind me quite a bit of them.

The one solo is so obviously Mike. I don't know how you could think otherwise. Not sure if it's like another song.

Benighted Joe said:
how can PT be progressive metal??? it has some hard riffs/comps... its more rock imo
It's not rock at all. You obviously haven't heard enough PT to make an intelligent decision.

PT incorporates pop, ambient, indie, death metal and other forms of music into one. Although prog really isn't a good way to categorize them, it certainly is the most accurate.