Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

That riff isn't DM, but it sounds damn heavy, mostly due to the production and those driving drums. Definitely my favourite on the album.

The Evil Toucan said:
Clean the wax outta your ears then. There is nothing 'death metal' about that song or Porcupine Tree's music at all.

WTV, Steven Wilson and I think you're wrong. Goodai.

Indeed I play the soft jazzy sounding solo, but I also wrote a second metal type solo that didn't make it unto the record. SW wimped out!

And enough of them Mountain dew pics already. I drink diet coke with a twist of lemon or lime if I drink soft drinks for fuck's sake!

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Indeed I play the soft jazzy sounding solo, but I also wrote a second metal type solo that didn't make it unto the record. SW wimped out!

And enough of them Mountain dew pics already. I drink diet coke with a twist of lemon or lime if I drink soft drinks for fuck's sake!

Cheers
Mike
Haha Mike I'm sorry I didn't know man. I should've figured you were a coke guy. It's a damn shame SW wimped out on that metal solo.

Any news on the side project with Steve and Mike and the "unknown"?

Tubbs Mcgee said:
:lol:

- Mike didn't like it.
way 2 spam.. fatass...
anyways, ASBNH is rly good, Mike's solo is awesome as usual, and yes i was mistaken that the heavier DM riff was written by SW, and not Mike.. i was wrong but i do rly like the solo as well, all in all, this song pwnts me.
EDIT: shame on you phil, for messing around with pics and giving Mike a mountain dew.. shame

Right. I'll be sure to catch the Tree on tour with Nile or Grave then.

You sill haven't understood my initial point! I said Porcupine Tree incorporates death metal elements into their music. When the hell did I say they were death metal?

great song. great solo...all of my dreams..sacrificed.

here ya go mike:

n4911912_30766786_8052.jpg

The Evil Toucan said:
What 'elements' of death metal might those be?

The style. It's all about the style. The first section of that heavy riff would superbly fit with someone growling. Of course, if that riff were in a DM band, it would be distorted even more, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a DM style riff.

I mean there's no doubt that riff is DM influenced. You can argue that all you want, but Steve Wilson wanted to make a DM influenced riff in ASBNH, and that would be it.