Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

If any thing... the riff in question is............. (drum roll)

slightly heavy

:) thankyou

Liquid Diamonds: Thats fine, just no comparisons with Dream theater and Steven Wilson.... It should never be done

Liquid Diamonds said:
Actually, if I hear anything in the new PT record, it's Dream Theater ('Deadwing', 'Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here').

I think they're changing from an all-out prog-rock band to more of a prog-metal band.

But I see what everyone means with the death-metal thing. I just think it's a little stretched. :)

"Home" is downtuned and I can imagine someone growling over it! DT has officially incorporated elements of death metal into their music!!!

Actually, come to think of it, if anyone really wants to make a PT based metal comparison...

Does anyone agree that the end of 'Strip the Soul' is so fucking heavy that it borders on Doom Metal? It's like a mixture of My Dying Bride and early Pelican.

The Evil Toucan said:
"Home" is downtuned and I can imagine someone growling over it! DT has officially incorporated elements of death metal into their music!!!

Dream theater is my favorite band. Dammit, I have 10 of their albums!!!

The first verse of Caught In A Web has insanely heavy guitar and bass, so they should put death vocs in that song!

- the perfect fit

N-MAYH said:
What the flying fuck do amps have to do with death metal? you can have any type of amp and still be death metal, be it laney, "recto" marshall wtv, any amp works fine if you know how to use it

Can you do death metal with a Fender or Vox?

Why do most bands that play death metal use 5150s, rectos, VHT, etc? Because they are fucking heavy amps and they love the tones. Porcupine Tree's tone is not similar to that of a death metal band's, besides the fact that it's distorted. Since tone comes from amps, that's what the fuck amps have to do with it.

I think that PT has such a huge amount of inspirations and backgrounds from their members that you can't compare them to other music and bands without causing a dispute

Who cares what the fuck it is. It's awesome, and that's all you need to know. Whats with all you people and adding labels to every riff in every song. And whats worse; having an arguement about it? At any rate, I think i'll just take a swig of my new favorite drink: Diet Coke.:erk:

Thanks Mike! :headbang:

Cheers!

And enough of them Mountain dew pics already. I drink diet coke with a twist of lemon or lime if I drink soft drinks for fuck's sake!

Fucking diet coke! - I only drink that when I'm desperate for a drink. Diet coke is the Devil!

I do like a bit of lemon or lime in normal coke - but I don't blame ya -all the fucking caffeine and sugar that goes into coke and MD!!

Indeed I play the soft jazzy sounding solo, but I also wrote a second metal type solo that didn't make it unto the record. SW wimped out!

And enough of them Mountain dew pics already. I drink diet coke with a twist of lemon or lime if I drink soft drinks for fuck's sake!

Cheers
Mike

What an honor! Mike wrote in my thread!

And now we've straighten out that solo thing. *Happy ever after - well for a while at least*

See you at the concert in April, Mike!

blimey said:
It's not rock at all. You obviously haven't heard enough PT to make an intelligent decision.

PT incorporates pop, ambient, indie, death metal and other forms of music into one. Although prog really isn't a good way to categorize them, it certainly is the most accurate.

Wow! Blimey, saddle down, son.

I never said it was rock. I said that, in my ears, it sounds like prog rock.
Ofcouse with some metal influences, but not death metal influences.
And to say its no rock at all are plain ignorance!

Look here above, Mike says he wrote a metal solo, not death metal...

I agree that it's no good to call them progressive rock nor metal.
They make music... Just like Opeth.

I think what some people don't realise is that Steven Wilson was listening to alot of heavy music leading up to the Deadwing recording sessions. Gavin Harrison (drummer) is also a fan of the metal genre, so some of the drumming is definitely heavier and is mixed more to the forefront of the music to give it more of a kick. The music itself may not be entirely death metal, but death metal has had an influence on the album and I think that's where the genre-check comes from. It is PT's heaviest album to date.

affinityband said:
Blimey what happened to your sig?
Lol, remember how I had Mike with a Mountain Dew? We'll he jokingly said he likes diet coke with a twist of lemon, so I jokingly removed it.

2nd page of this thread.