Art Thread

My first experience with color pencil. I had a rough time with them, but I'm finally finished. Scanner washed the color out, and my scanner bed is not exactly 9x12 so it shaved the top and bottom off.

SkullandroseSmall.jpg

Looks great in B&W Stormie. I've always found that black and white has a certain purity about it. :)
Yep, I think the same thing. Plus it compensates for my lack of color feeling ;)

My first experience with color pencil. I had a rough time with them, but I'm finally finished. Scanner washed the color out, and my scanner bed is not exactly 9x12 so it shaved the top and bottom off.

SkullandroseSmall.jpg
Looks awesome! And yeah, scanners sure can fuck a drawing right up :(

Finished another of the characters of my FO2 fanfic

765Ahreen.jpg

SkullandroseSmall.jpg

Oooh, beautiful. My favorite part is the cavity right behind the drawing's left eye. Something about the oranges and blues that I really like. My only suggestion is to leave more highlights on the the rose like you have it on the skull. You've got a great handle of the colored pencils; I'd like to see more of them.

Stormo, its looking great! How do you get your blacks so black in that drawing, did you use ink, or those wolf carbon pencils?

And thanks again guys. Yeah, I haven't posted much art partly because fighting with that one took so long, and I was concerned with running out of art supplies, but now I have them all with me I don't have to worry about that for awhile. :)

Oh, Emily, hahah, I know what you mean. I'm sooo not pleased with the lack of highlights on that rose. I had completely filled the tooth of the paper, and the last draft I did the same damn thing. I guess I love repeating my mistakes. Last time I tried to use tape to pull the color out of the tooth, and wound up pulling paper with it, and it ended up looking weird and worse. I figured something out, but not until I was almost finished with the damn thing, that light to dark is better then dark to light, like I'm used to. heheh.

Oh, Emily, hahah, I know what you mean. I'm sooo not pleased with the lack of highlights on that rose. I had completely filled the tooth of the paper, and the last draft I did the same damn thing. I guess I love repeating my mistakes. Last time I tried to use tape to pull the color out of the tooth, and wound up pulling paper with it, and it ended up looking weird and worse. I figured something out, but not until I was almost finished with the damn thing, that light to dark is better then dark to light, like I'm used to. heheh.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you can take an Xacto knife and scrape off a little of the wax. Or just press really hard with the rose/peach/ or that really soft cream/white color. It may help a little, but not a lot. It's best to build up from light to dark. Use the the lights softly so not to fill the tooth, then shade a little bit hard when you get to the dominate colors in the section.

I'm sure you know all this and it's just a matter of trial and error. The piece really does look fantastic. And look forward to seeing more!

SkullandroseSmall.jpg

OH MY GOD!
The detail is so fucking brilliant.
Colored pencil work is difficult, but look at the results!!

Btw, Stormie...I wish I had your creativity. Things are pretty much dead up here lately *taps on noggin - hears hollow noises'*

Ooh ooh! I sold one of my White Rabbit paintings today! One of our doctors bought it and hung it in his office (we're both curious as to how clients will react to mad hatter in the corner...hehheeh)
l_5bfc79370637b14136210ea8e1de8814.jpg

I'm glad It got a home - I really disliked that series of paintings, actually :loco:
They felt more like doodles than actual paintings.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you can take an Xacto knife and scrape off a little of the wax. Or just press really hard with the rose/peach/ or that really soft cream/white color. It may help a little, but not a lot. It's best to build up from light to dark. Use the the lights softly so not to fill the tooth, then shade a little bit hard when you get to the dominate colors in the section.

I'm sure you know all this and it's just a matter of trial and error. The piece really does look fantastic. And look forward to seeing more!

Damn, I had pretty much wrote them off for whenever this drawing got finished, but those are some pretty awesome tips, Em. And you guys are making me want to try another. Yeah, I gotta remember not to be so heavy handed, I am allot too. Gets me in trouble with the graphite allot.

OH MY GOD!

Btw, Stormie...I wish I had your creativity. Things are pretty much dead up here lately *taps on noggin - hears hollow noises'*

Ooh ooh! I sold one of my White Rabbit paintings today! One of our doctors bought it and hung it in his office (we're both curious as to how clients will react to mad hatter in the corner...hehheeh)

I'm glad It got a home - I really disliked that series of paintings, actually :loco:

Oh thanks Lesa, and damn, I really love that painting! Congrats on the sale! It sold because its awesome, even if it seemed like a doodle to you. If I was not the broke woman I am, I would arm wrestle that doctor for it. :tickled:

Awww... Well, to be honest, I don't use my creativity consciously. It just suggests things on its own while I draw. It's an odd thing, it's the same when I write. I don't have to stop and think, "how is this going to continue", because the story/piece continues itself automatically :)

They look pretty great to me. I love the color theme and the atmosphere. And then you say you have no creativity :S

Stormo, its looking great! How do you get your blacks so black in that drawing, did you use ink, or those wolf carbon pencils?
I simply use my 2B pencil, draw as dark as I can. Then I deepen the darks by lowering the gamma of the scanned piece.

OH MY GOD!

That is really awesome, Lesa! Man...I wish i could make stuff that cool.

OH MY GOD!

amazing composition and colouring especially in the lower half of the painting

Ya know...

I was rather bored at work and was gonna check up on the happenings here. I was really intending on checking out everybody's work, then I realized its 60+ pages long.

EFF THAT