Ask KIUAS

This is a weird question, but I'll ask anyway. Why'd you decide to include Suomi, English, and Japanese translations for your official website?

Well, Suom(finnish) i because we are from Finland and most views are from Finland anyway, english...I think that's obvious. As for japanese, if you click there you will jump to universal japan's Kiuas site, where they have news and other stuff, all in japanese. We thought we'd include that as well as a bonus for the japanese fans. We made one trip to Tokyo earlier this year and have had a good deal of promotion there, so it's a good idea. By the way, check out our cool "Tokyo Diary" in the Media->Extra-section. There's a lot of cool pics and stories...(hanging out with the finnish prime minister in Tokyo's nightlife, jamming with Billy Sheehan etc.) :headbang:

Any chance of you guys playing in the UK anytime soon?

I guess you need to blag yourself a support slot on someone's tour, as I'm not sure any promoter would be willing to take the risk. Unless you want to play for free.. :p

Richie Hell said:
Any chance of you guys playing in the UK anytime soon?

I guess you need to blag yourself a support slot on someone's tour, as I'm not sure any promoter would be willing to take the risk. Unless you want to play for free.. :p

What the fuck do you mean? We'll play a headlining tour soon in the UK, Metallica and Slayer will be supporting... :dopey:
...ok, people have been asking that and there's been some talk but nothing certain. If you know any promoters or local bands that could organize something, you could ask them to contact us! In the meantime, Palvo Ukkoa!!!

Haha, I wouldn't mind seeing Metallica and Slayer tour together!

I know a lot of promoters (I'm one as well), but they're all based in Norwich - I know people in the UK who don't even know where Norwich is, so I don't know if you do - but we have small budgets and don't really do many international bands (can't afford it!).

Oh, and what does "Palvo Ukkoa" mean? :)

could you possibly tell me some ways to worship Ukko..? maybe some animal sacrifices or something :loco:

Hi. I'm a big fan :worship: of Kiuas and would like to know the following:
How is kiuas going to sound on the next album? Would you describe your new songs progressive like "and the north star cried" or straightforward metal like "on winds of death we ride"?

(or possibly something complitely different!? Swinging like Sinatra? Sexy ballads with lots of south asian sounds? A capella metal? Patriotic country a la garth brooks? Political rap metal with an eskimo choir? Duets with today's hottest pop artists? An album presenting diffent kinds of new wood instruments that you've inventied? Reggae metal? Unplugged versions of the songs on the first album? A collection of b-sides and rare live takes? Dance metal with classical influences? Or can it be defined with words? :Spin: )

Personnaly I think kiuas is at its best in progressive metal songs like "and the north star cried" and would love to hear more songs like that from you...

Thanks for your good taste in music!
Well, well...tough question...I've written some stuff already, and tried to focus on the "riff-department". I want the next record to sound tighter and heavier than the first one. I can also promise that there will be at least one song that's going to be a bit longer and more progressive than the others, and we'll experiment a little here and there. But first and foremost we'll concentrate on having a few in your face ( I don't mean the C.O.B. song!) metal tracks...for now. We are planning to enter the studio in february-march next year, so there's still some time to write and a lot will still happen. I'm sure we'll get back to this topic...

I really love the vocals on "The Spirit Of Ukko" (one of the best vocal performances ever) even though I'm more into a bit more extreme style vocals. And concerning that, I'd like to ask if there will be more use of 'growls' / rougher vocals in the future albums. In "And The North Star Cried" there is a part that goes "death and destruction they brought..." I fucking love that part and it seems Ilja (if he's the one doing them) can do very powerful growls damn well in addition to the cleaner voice.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to your next release. ;)

Nitronium Blood said:
I have never heard of you.

Describe your music to me. Please. :)

Check out our website www.kiuas.net and listen to the clips from our new record "the spirit of Ukko" in the "media"-section. That's the fastest way to get an idea of what we're doing. Also check out the "history"-section and other stuff too. It's so hard to describe it ourselves, but to give you some idea, we've been referred to as power metal meets melodic death metal and thrash metal with influences from many other styles as well. Pagan themes are also an important part of the songs. I dare to say that we've created an original sound that's still appealing to fans of both traditional metal and those looking for something new...just buy the album! :D

By the way, If anyone else here wants to describe Kiuas, please go ahead!!

Mikko Ilmarinen said:
Check out our website www.kiuas.net and listen to the clips from our new record "the spirit of Ukko" in the "media"-section. That's the fastest way to get an idea of what we're doing. Also check out the "history"-section and other stuff too. It's so hard to describe it ourselves, but to give you some idea, we've been referred to as power metal meets melodic death metal and thrash metal with influences from many other styles as well. Pagan themes are also an important part of the songs. I dare to say that we've created an original sound that's still appealing to fans of both traditional metal and those looking for something new...just buy the album! :D

By the way, If anyone else here wants to describe Kiuas, please go ahead!!
Hey I listened to the clip of 'Sprit of Ukko'.

I think you guys rule. I just wish that the vocalist sung with more 'grit' and less falsettos. :)

May you guys become rich and gather a lot of fame.

Do you guys have a distrubutor here in the US? I had to order your CD as an import. :err: It still hasn't come in yet.

I hope I find the CD at the Amoeba Music store, cuz thats were i get my imports from and were i got my prized possesion, Wintersun...if not....

Are you going to do a U.S. tour? It would be cool if you could hop on tour with a bigger name band to get some popularity here in the states. I know if you came to New England in the U.S. (the Northeastern states) you would be welcomed by the metal fans in the area. Sonata Arctica are touring the U.S./Canada soon, if you could somehow get on that tour with them, it would be pretty amazing. Otherwise, are you planning to do a U.S. tour anytime soon?