Ask KIUAS

truthwithinlies said:
Only ask that someone please translate the Finnish part in Across the Snows for me, I keep singing along with it and I got no idea what it means. I looked up some words in an online dictionary but I'm assuming that some of the words are from a particular dialect and therefore I can't get them translated on the web.

I, too, would like to know the direct translation. I get the basic gist of it, but I don't know the exact meaning of some of the words (i.e. - seuranaan and sydämensä)

I have a few questions for Mikko. You're a breath of fresh air for me in metal. After the last few Bodom albums it seems like Alexi has just dropped the ball on his soloing... Like that 5 second excuse for a solo in "In Your Face", but all along you've just blown him away, imo. I appologize in advance if you've already answered these a million times.

1) ::edit:: nm, just found all this info in a different thread.

2) I've been playing guitar for a little over a year (religiously, I might add) and I feel I'm at a comfortable enough level to start writing my own solos and etudes, etc. What advice would you give for getting started with that? I know music theory would be the best thing, but I was wondering if you have any specific methods you use.

3) I must applaud you on using a JEM in real metal, especially the one with Breed pickups (I have Breeds on a Rhoads I use and I LOVE them). I also use a modified Prestige RG1570 and just love Ibanez... but I have to ask, what made you choose the JEM? You never see them in metal, and it's a shame. Everyone swears by their Jacksons and ESP's (which I also love). Just curious.

Yeah, I have played for like 5½ years and can't write solos, only riffs...Yeah I have a couple of very riff-based melodic solos (I like to mess around with my acoustic) but that's about it. But on the other hand, I don't know any theory and honestly I don't really care. I don't want that shit, I think there are already enough bands with lightning-fast guitar and synth solos...they really start to sound all the same...but of course solos are always nice :D just like it more melodic, not that pililiu-speedness...

heh, thx. I play daily, religiously. I think two main things helped me get here so fast. 1) I knew exactly what style I wanted to play when I started... instead of most people starting on AC/DC or Metallica... I didn't attempt to play any songs for about 8 months... I strictly followed practice steps of scales, runs, and (slooowly) arpeggios... and knew I wanted to do Progressive/Power/Death Metal. 2) Probably most benefitial, was John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" dvd and book. Learn and follow that daily and you're set, lol. I've been known to sit there for about 2 hours doing a small series of legato runs just to strengthen my fingers and get them more accurate.

That's the problem. A lot of people want to cover their favorite bands and riffs right away instead of actually learning how to play scales, runs, etc. My best friend has been playing for 8 years and he didn't take any real lessons until 2 years ago. He is a MUCH better guitar player now that he actually learnt scales and actual practise methods.

The Bringer said:
That's the problem. A lot of people want to cover their favorite bands and riffs right away instead of actually learning how to play scales, runs, etc. My best friend has been playing for 8 years and he didn't take any real lessons until 2 years ago. He is a MUCH better guitar player now that he actually learnt scales and actual practise methods.

For me the guitar is just an instrument of composing...I don't even want to be a guitarist in a band, I just want to make songs. I practiced first three years but then I just got bored of playing other people's stuff, so now I just play my own stuff. Never even tried scales or shit like that :p Maybe it would be cool if I knew all the theory, but I am just too lazy for that I think.

The Across the Snows part goes something like this:

Alone he travels where the shadows fall
Across the mist and frost with only steel on his side
His heart cold as the freezing ground
But in his eyes the hate burning like the fiery stove

I really loved how you used some Finnish in your songs, just like Ensiferum's Lai Lai Hei! is a definite favorite. You gonna mix up some languages in the upcoming album too? I like it when bands do that (I think ...And Oceans has Finnish, English *and* Swedish in some song :eek:).

.gravity said:
I have a few questions for Mikko. You're a breath of fresh air for me in metal. After the last few Bodom albums it seems like Alexi has just dropped the ball on his soloing... Like that 5 second excuse for a solo in "In Your Face", but all along you've just blown him away, imo. I appologize in advance if you've already answered these a million times.

1) ::edit:: nm, just found all this info in a different thread.

2) I've been playing guitar for a little over a year (religiously, I might add) and I feel I'm at a comfortable enough level to start writing my own solos and etudes, etc. What advice would you give for getting started with that? I know music theory would be the best thing, but I was wondering if you have any specific methods you use.

3) I must applaud you on using a JEM in real metal, especially the one with Breed pickups (I have Breeds on a Rhoads I use and I LOVE them). I also use a modified Prestige RG1570 and just love Ibanez... but I have to ask, what made you choose the JEM? You never see them in metal, and it's a shame. Everyone swears by their Jacksons and ESP's (which I also love). Just curious.

Thanks a lot! :headbang:

Knowing theory helps your playing, songwriting and your overall understanding of music. Some rock players often say that it kills creativity, but that's crap! A lot of those people are not very creative themselves, and are making up excuses for their weaknesses.
After reading your latest posts, I get the feeling that your practicing methods are quite good and systematic.
Now for some philosophy...:D music is like a language, so a logical way to learn is to imitate your favourite players, and after that combine what you've learned from them and add your own ideas. Slowly through this process, your own voice and style will evolve.:Smokedev:
Practice improvising! That's the most important thing - you can't write a solo, unless you can improvise one. Along with that, you can figure out and work on some special licks and stuff that you can incorporate into your solos. Don't be afraid to steal...I mean borrow from your favourite players!:D

About the JEM...it just feels really good and comfortable, and the sound is great. I've tried a lot of ESPs and Jacksons, but none of them felt as good.

Thanks heaps for the translation Madu!!!!!!! MWWWAAAAAAA. Big kiss buddy!!!

Hey Kiuas come to Oz! Love you guys heaps, can't stop cranking up the volume on the cd player in my car!!

Woah, got to run, posting from the workplace and the boss is coming.....YIKES!!!

Thanks for your comment Bringer, you just made my day!! :D

Stupid open-plan office area at work means that computer screens are easy to see. Stupid middle-manager surplus means that we have only 7 workers but 4 bosses, so I've got to evade the boss patrols.....

At least the Christmas holidays start tomorrow, I only wish that I was over there for the Kiuas New Years gig.:cry:

Question For Markku:

Markku, I sent a letter to your house when I bought that T-Shirt, but you didn't write back. So The only question i ask is why don't you post your email on this public forum, so I may contact you via email? (Or you can give it to me through the Personal Message System)

Mkko, same as above basically, minus the letter to your house part. :loco:

madu said:
I really loved how you used some Finnish in your songs, just like Ensiferum's Lai Lai Hei! is a definite favorite. You gonna mix up some languages in the upcoming album too? I like it when bands do that (I think ...And Oceans has Finnish, English *and* Swedish in some song :eek:).
definitely awsome! these parts in the mother tongue add a certain extra spice to the already kickass-album! The Spirit of Ukko belongs to my top list of 2005-releases

Thanks to the guy who posted that translation of the part from "Across the Snows;" I can't even speak Finnish but I get that part stuck in my head every friggin' time I hear it.

A question: On the Born Under the Northen Lights EP, you guys have a version of "Across the Snows" with some really killer harmonic vocals on the chorus. Do you plan on using any vocals like that with greater frequency? I love the growly, gravely vocals, but that harmonic sound is just awesome.