Ask KIUAS

TheWhaleShark said:
Thanks to the guy who posted that translation of the part from "Across the Snows;" I can't even speak Finnish but I get that part stuck in my head every friggin' time I hear it.

A question: On the Born Under the Northen Lights EP, you guys have a version of "Across the Snows" with some really killer harmonic vocals on the chorus. Do you plan on using any vocals like that with greater frequency? I love the growly, gravely vocals, but that harmonic sound is just awesome.

Guess how many vocal tracks there are on the chorus of that version?
EIGHT! :headbang:
But we wanted the lead melody to be more independent and to be able to "stand alone", so we recorded just a couple of tracks on the album version. But don't worry, we'll do the choir-type of stuff later in the future. (Let's see on the next album...)

Hey, love Spirit of Ukko and I'm definitely looking forward to your next offering. You guys are one of the most unique bands I've ever heard. Just a quick question for you:

I'm interested in learning some of your songs, but I can't find any tabs. Do you guys have any plans to offer tabs on your homepage, or know of anywhere else I could find tabs of your stuff? I've worked out bits and pieces of some of your stuff, but there are parts I just can not figure out. Thanks in advance.

Eradicus said:
Hey, love Spirit of Ukko and I'm definitely looking forward to your next offering. You guys are one of the most unique bands I've ever heard. Just a quick question for you:

I'm interested in learning some of your songs, but I can't find any tabs. Do you guys have any plans to offer tabs on your homepage, or know of anywhere else I could find tabs of your stuff? I've worked out bits and pieces of some of your stuff, but there are parts I just can not figure out. Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot!!
There's an ongoing tabulature competition, which started a while ago,...we should finally decide a deadline for it pretty soon, there's information on our site in the "news"-section. When it's over, we'll give out something to the best transcriber(s), and post some of the best tabs on the site. I'll also try to do a song or two myself, when I have time. (Okay, I'm also a bit lazy!):Smug:

Mikko Ilmarinen said:
Thanks a lot!!
There's an ongoing tabulature competition, which started a while ago,...we should finally decide a deadline for it pretty soon, there's information on our site in the "news"-section. When it's over, we'll give out something to the best transcriber(s), and post some of the best tabs on the site. I'll also try to do a song or two myself, when I have time. (Okay, I'm also a bit lazy!):Smug:

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Sounds awesome, can't wait!

So I guess that Australia is too far away for Kiuas to come to us, so maybe I will have to go to you guys instead. I am planning a trip to Europe later this year, any chance you guys would know what you are doing at that time - around August??

I noticed on the inside of the Spirit of Ukko booklet it says that you (Mikko) write all the music. Do you write all the instruments' parts, or does the rest of the band come up with their respective sections or what?

Another quick idea: you guys should put up more desktop backgrounds on your website, namely stuff like album covers. I went to ToxicAngel's site and had the Discipline of Steel EP picture as my desktop for a bit, but it's just too small and not desktop shaped, if you catch my drift. You should do something about that because all your album/EP covers are awesome.

I found out that Ilja and Markku has been in Iconofear. What about everyone else, do you play or have you played in any other bands?

Julmis said:
I found out that Ilja and Markku has been in Iconofear. What about everyone else, do you play or have you played in any other bands?

Hahaa! I've also played in Iconofear for ONE gig, and Teemu has played in it as well a LOOONG time ago.
Besides that, I've been involved in some different band projects, not worth mentioning. Nowadays I and Atte also do some party/cover gigs as well sometimes, whenever we have time for that (depending on the event, of course).
But right now, Kiuas is the number one focus in my life and believe me; writing, arranging and practicing the material on the upcoming album has consumed enough time.

Adam Fiske said:
I noticed on the inside of the Spirit of Ukko booklet it says that you (Mikko) write all the music. Do you write all the instruments' parts, or does the rest of the band come up with their respective sections or what?

Another quick idea: you guys should put up more desktop backgrounds on your website, namely stuff like album covers. I went to ToxicAngel's site and had the Discipline of Steel EP picture as my desktop for a bit, but it's just too small and not desktop shaped, if you catch my drift. You should do something about that because all your album/EP covers are awesome.

Well, mostly I've tried to write and arrange the music as far as possible, and bring the finished product to the rehearse flat. I've written the new songs totally on the computer, all instruments, and then sent files to the other guys. As for the vocals, I write the lyrics with the basic melodies in mind, then we go through them with Ilja, and change and improve them if we have to. That goes basically for the other instruments as well; if there's a part that doesn't sound good live or isn't playable at all, it's changed. Also, after we've played a song a few times, the we might start adding little details here and there by improvising. On some rare occasions, we've done more dramatic changes like the structure of the song and so forth.

About the desktop backgrounds etc., Atte is responsible. We'll see...

Umh, this might be a bit too early now, but I was wondering if you guys have thought about making a live-DVD or something? At some point of your career, I mean. Now that would be...well, a great purchase to look forward to!

We've been on contact with the organizers of Tuska and currently the situation is that we're among the top 40+ bands that want to play in the afterparties. We really hope to play at Tavastia or the other venues but it's too early to tell yet. Keep tuned and we will inform of this.

And by the way, we are still busy with all the other issues conserning the forthcoming album (cover art, promo pictures etc.) so we have been a bit lazy on informing you guys of all the happenings, sorry about that.

Also, we will launch a new website-design when the new album releases so that has also contributed to Atte's efforts on updating the website (in other words, he's not lazy, he's preoccupied :kickass: ).

I have two questions, actually..

1. Will you cross the sea at some point and play in other countries of Europe? I mean, I have no means of going to Scandinavia to check you guys out, as much as I would like to, but I am sure Spinefarm is going to put you on a real tour some day, right?

and..

2. When are you guys going to open a real webshop? I'd kill for one of your t-shirts but this way of ordering merchandise does not really appeal to me.

Thank you and keep up the great work! The samples of the new album blew me away and I can't wait until the real thing arrives at my retailer tomorrow! You know, this is the first time ever that I am buying an album on release day.